Thread: How do you set up supports in 3d?

Post Thanks / Like

Default How do you set up supports in 3d?

So I just received a new Sun Hokey Prusa I3 Acrylic a couple of days ago. I've managed to test print several items (Cube, Spiral vase, I simple design of my own), but haven't been able to figure out how to activate supporting for models that are printed from the bottom up that have areas outside the original support structure. Like I said, I'm new to this so I'm not really familiar with the terminology. If you would, imagine a wolf. It's paws and legs are going to print first, followed by it's body, then neck, head, and tail. How do you support the nose of the head and tip of the tail if they are in the downward position like it's eating? Not quit level with the printing base plane, but far enough away from the main model not to connect.

I really hope this makes sense, kind of confused myself.

Any ideas?

Oh Yeah, I'm using Repetier-Host V1.6.2 for printing. I'm also using Slic3r.
    Last edited by CatMan42; 09-03-2016 at 08:44 PM. Reason: additional info
    "There's no such thing as a dumb question, except for the question that was never asked!!"

Mark

2014 4 channel Mr. Christmas unit, 3,000 lights.
    2015: 32 channels, over 7000 lights including 4 singing faces! (updated)

Who the heck knows, I don't!!
    [url]http://pavukchristmas.com[/url]

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: How do you set up supports in 3d?

Something like this....

3D Supporting.JPG
    "There's no such thing as a dumb question, except for the question that was never asked!!"

Mark

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

I actually saw that and tried it to no avial. I'll read through it again. More than likely I missed something!!

Thanks!!

Mark

Post Thanks / Like

here's the other issue I have, Even though I've calibrated the print table numerous times, I get un-even printing. My thought is not enough flow. Is that right?

Mark

Post Thanks / Like

Search YouTube for prusa i3 Estep calibration.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for pointing me in the right direction!!

It can get a little crazy when you're trying to learn something new while trying to get your lights ready for the year!!

Mark

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CatMan42 View Post
    If you would, imagine a wolf. It's paws and legs are going to print first, followed by it's body, then neck, head, and tail. How do you support the nose of the head and tip of the tail if they are in the downward position like it's eating? Not quit level with the printing base plane, but far enough away from the main model not to connect.

Oh Yeah, I'm using Repetier-Host V1.6.2 for printing. I'm also using Slic3r.
    One trick is to print in an orientation so that there are no overhangs, as these are called. e.g. stand your wolf on its nose or the tip of its tail, and print it like that (with a "brim" to spread the contact area). That's not always possible.

Otherwise, in Slic3r under "Printer Settings" there is a tab for "Support Material"... check the "Generate Support Material" checkbox and Slic3r will automatically build structures underneath the wolf's head and tail and anywhere else there is a significant overhang. Slic3r leaves a weakness just below the actual object, so that it is easy to remove the supports.
    Last edited by frankv; 09-03-2016 at 10:35 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by frankv View Post
    One trick is to print in an orientation so that there are no overhangs, as these are called. e.g. stand your wolf on its nose or the tip of its tail, and print it like that (with a "brim" to spread the contact area). That's not always possible.

Otherwise, in Slic3r under "Printer Settings" there is a tab for "Support Material"... check the "Generate Support Material" checkbox and Slic3r will automatically build structures underneath the wolf's head and tail and anywhere else there is a significant overhang. Slic3r leaves a weakness just below the actual object, so that it is easy to remove the supports.

Also, and correct me if im wrong as ive never actually used supports, but it does not show them in the preview does it? You wouldn't actually know where the supports are until it is printing?

Post Thanks / Like

Whew, spent most of the day working with supports for overhangs. Finally have it figured out. In Slicer, go to "configuration", then under "support material" select "generate support material" and set "0" (zero) for both "overhang threshold" and "enforce support for the first". Slicer then determines where it needs to provide support for your model. In my case, I selected the pillars pattern. There are seceral others that would work better depending on your model.

Also, Slicer does show the support in the preview after slicing the project.

Thanks for all of your help!!

Mark