Thread: 240v AC SSR system suggestions

Post Thanks / Like

Default 240v AC SSR system suggestions

been looking all over for a cheap ssr dimmer solution that definitely works on 240v.
    my googling in this case failed.
    Looks like some of the renard stuff "might" work.. but the info I found don't give me a solid "it works on 240 with no issue"
    can you guys recommend some controllers/boards for me?

I'm ultimately hoping for a single board that can do 8-16 strings that are using various off the shelf AC light strings. not sure avg current draw cause I'm used to pixels.
    Gunna combine my pixels with some guy that has lots of static AC light strings.

my preffered protocols is
    SACN / e1.31
    dmx
    renard

in that order. won't use LOR (I have a custom made sequencer and I hate LOR protocol and won't use it)

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: 240v AC SSR system suggestions

I'm not embarrassed to say that I've wondered the same thing for many years, and I've never really explored it because where I live, we use 115-120vac. I've dummied-up a picture that show the difference as I understand it, but I may be off my rocker here... so I'm looking to the expert electricians out there to review it and chime in. Anyone?
    Attached Images Attached Images

http://digwdf.com/store/
    The DIGWDF Store is closed for all sales. Thanks to everyone who supported us through the years!
    User guides, documentation and other files are still free and available for downloading.

Post Thanks / Like

I can guarantee that the renard plus tr8 tr16 and tr24 work perfect in 240v
    I live in the uk and I have two tr24's I got from radiant-holidays.com and told them it was for 240v use and sent out the different resistors needed for the triacs
    Brilliant service and help
    2016 pixel power RAF Wittering soon to be RAF Akrotiri
    Second new house in 12 months

Post Thanks / Like

duplicate deleted
    Last edited by kartingted; 08-24-2016 at 09:53 AM. Reason: Double post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kartingted View Post
    I can guarantee that the renard plus tr8 tr16 and tr24 work perfect in 240v
    I live in the uk and I have two tr24's I got from radiant-holidays.com and told them it was for 240v use and sent out the different resistors needed for the triacs
    Brilliant service and help

I'm told by the Renard-Plus guys that they generally provide a 360-ohm, 1/4 watt resistor for folks that need 240 such as yourself. Or was it 1/2 watt? The TRIAC gate doesn't require a whole lot of current to open the flow, so I'm thinking the 1/4 watt is probably all that's necessary.

The DIGWDF Store is closed for all sales. Thanks to everyone who supported us through the years!
    User guides, documentation and other files are still free and available for downloading.

Post Thanks / Like

Off the top of my head I can not remember. Built them over a year ago now.
    There was the gate resistor change and the transformer bridge for 240v and that's all that I done and it's worked perfectly

Radiant holidays send the resistors that you need to change out with the kit

If I was going to buy ac boards again I would go straight to them and buy another one.
    2016 pixel power RAF Wittering soon to be RAF Akrotiri
    Second new house in 12 months

7. Likes TazChaLet liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Ok, thanks. It's probably 1/4 watt.

BTW, if you haven't checked them in awhile, they have quite a few new things in their cadre of cool stuff. http://renard-shop.com/

You might find something there that you can plug into your existing RP gear and go Wi-Fi, or pixels, too.