Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: PVC Arch frame question

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: PVC Arch frame question

I used screws with nuts.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

What lengths of pipe did you guys end up using, and what size PVC (sch 20 or sch 40)? I tried to build a medium arch using sch 40 PVC and broke the T when bending it. I didn't glue it as I wanted to experiment before gluing. That may have contributed to the breakage. I picked sch 40 as I was worried the sch 20 pipe might fold when bending it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by craiz View Post
    What lengths of pipe did you guys end up using, and what size PVC (sch 20 or sch 40)? I tried to build a medium arch using sch 40 PVC and broke the T when bending it. I didn't glue it as I wanted to experiment before gluing. That may have contributed to the breakage. I picked sch 40 as I was worried the sch 20 pipe might fold when bending it.
    I used sch20.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

PVC, while a little floppy, isn't intended to be bent into an arch, yet we all do it.

Make the base first and get the tee's square to the conduit.

Glue one end of the PVC arch piece into one of the tee's, let dry, then bend around and insert into the other tee. If the base is tight, it will hold.

Post Thanks / Like

Also. What might help ... Bend It into the perfect shape u desire. Then poor in boiling water. Let it sit till the tube is warm on the outside. Empty tube.
    After cooling it should be more rigid.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the suggestions. *After gluing one end into the T was able to bend the pipe without breaking the T. *Sch 40 pipe works fine for my large arches. I think I'll give Sch 20 a try for the smaller arches. Boiling water sounds interesting. I had though of using a propane torch to heat the pipe and help it better confirm to the shape. I've done that before but a bit worried I may*end up with a "lumpy" arch as*it will be very hard to evenly heat the pipe. The boiling water will achieve a*very even heating quit nicely. Only hazard will be spilling boiling water on myself while holding a PVC pipe under*strain.

Post Thanks / Like

This problem is why I don't use any crossbar at all on my arches. Also not having a crossbar takes care of the uneven ground issue as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by craiz View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions. *After gluing one end into the T was able to bend the pipe without breaking the T. *Sch 40 pipe works fine for my large arches. I think I'll give Sch 20 a try for the smaller arches. Boiling water sounds interesting. I had though of using a propane torch to heat the pipe and help it better confirm to the shape. I've done that before but a bit worried I may*end up with a "lumpy" arch as*it will be very hard to evenly heat the pipe. The boiling water will achieve a*very even heating quit nicely. Only hazard will be spilling boiling water on myself while holding a PVC pipe under*strain.
    Have someone hold it for u then
    Preferably mother-in-law. Xd

9. Likes Wolfie liked this post
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234