Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: How Do I Mount Pixel Frames Around Windows?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: How Do I Mount Pixel Frames Around Windows?

Quote Originally Posted by TazChaLet View Post
    If you can attach too the eves and hang them in front of the windows you then can use the drip holes on windows too pull them tighter too the window with zip ties or wire
    I will add it to my list of what I'm going to try. I just need something to keep the top flush.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stallionent View Post
    I used screen frames. Home Depot sells spring clips for each corner http://www.homedepot.com/p/Prime-Lin...-100536660-_-N

Now this has a LOT of my attention.
    1. Pull out the regular screens.
    2. Insert in their place, complete with lights.
    No screw holes.
    No wind pulling pipes off the windows.
    No ....

The only problem I can see is the large size of my windows requiring cross braces at the middle of the frame. (Not a problem, really.)
    "Never Give Up. Never Surrender!"
    Capt Tagert - Galaxy Quest.
    Al Gerdes - Christmas Lighting Nut!

Post Thanks / Like

it is a good idea if your whole window has a screen but it looks like his are the windows where only certain parts have screen
    Quote Originally Posted by algerdes View Post
    Now this has a LOT of my attention.
    1. Pull out the regular screens.
    2. Insert in their place, complete with lights.
    No screw holes.
    No wind pulling pipes off the windows.
    No ....

The only problem I can see is the large size of my windows requiring cross braces at the middle of the frame. (Not a problem, really.)
    James WinterHaven Fl

4. Thanks Chris A thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TazChaLet View Post
    it is a good idea if your whole window has a screen but it looks like his are the windows where only certain parts have screen
    Correct

Post Thanks / Like

I just use pvc clips and screw them into the wood or the brick. And then make a off frame to fit window and use boscoyo strips to hold the pixels

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    Ok, how about a bit unorthodox attempt at a solution? Everyone seems focused on the trim. How about the obvious elephant in the middle? I haven't tested this but it might work. Won't cost much to try.

You will need a couple things from home depot or something like it (you may have bits around the house you can use in lieu of buying these)...
    http://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-...2407/204225759
    http://www.homedepot.com/p/Con-Tact-...9-12/100388878

and some of these...

Not that specific drive. Any old dead drive. Several. The more the merrier.

If you are using stuff from around the house, you want thick STEEL brackets or something like it. Gotta be ferrous, not aluminum or brass.

Rip apart the hard drives. Locate the baller magnets in them, extract them, and toss the rest in the scrap bin. If you don't have any dead drives, go make friends with a computer geek who does. Bring Mountain Dew or Energy Drinks for trade

Cut the L stock into short pieces couple inches wide. Cut the shelf liner into small squares bout the size of one face of the L stock pieces.

Make peace with the wife about this time by sending her out to get her nails done or something nice (unless you want your wife to see what you are doing and is willing to help).

Hot glue a loop of string to the magnets. Stick the suction cups (which you own already) to the inside of the window at the bottom. Hang the magnet(s) from them so they are against the glass at the bottom. You could alternatively hold the magnets in place with a bit of blue painter's tape(which can be removed later). Also hang magnets (using same process) at the top of the window.

Go outside and place a square of the shelf liner against the glass where a magnet is. Blue painter's tape may assist that step as well. Gently bring the L stock piece up to it. The magnet will likely hold it in place if you got good magnets. If you have extra magnets (hopefully) add one to the L bracket to increase the holding power (forming a sandwich... magnet>glass>bracket>magnet). The shelf liner should keep it from sliding down the window, the magnet(s) should hold it against the window. The brackets at the bottom can rest against the frame (preventing the whole shooting match from sliding down the window).

Hang your PVC frame from the L brackets stuck to the window at the top and rest it on the ones at the bottom of the window. Depending on the weight of your frame, you will probably need several L brackets and corresponding magnets.
    Just an update on my efforts. I purchased the magnets from Ebay http://www.ebay.com/itm/100pcs-Neody...cAAOSwwpdW9vMc set them up as instructed but I am assuming the distance between the double pane windows is too great. Perhaps the magnets were undersized, they were half the size of my pinky nail, however I did use about 6 of them. I tried using duct tape and taping 6 magnets to the outside of the window and then putting a 1 inch L bracket on them and they held but were not very strong. I was worried these magnets would break the window but I couldn't get them to hold from both sides of my finger.

I did put a hook into the eves and tied the frame with fishing string, but that does not solve my problem of getting them to stay around the window, but if something were to fail my frame would not leave the second story. I also tried the outdoor command hooks but the hooks fell right off the tape, not the window.

I'm back to the drawing board.

Post Thanks / Like

Chris,
    Did you ever figure out how to secure the frames to your windows. If you did can you share the solution? I am having a similar issue.
    Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Hi, https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cable-Tie-M...ap+sticky+pads
    are working for me. Better on the frame or glass (easie to clean up afterwards) with a tiewrap to hold the frame.
    Last edited by Barnabybear; 08-13-2017 at 05:56 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I ended up having some wide type "L" brackets 3d printed. I tried hot glue, 3m extra strong double sided tape, and several other double sided tapes. Some of them wouldn't stick to the glass, some wouldn't stick to the bracket, and some destroyed the bracket. What worked last year was the bracket put on the window with silicone. Some of the silicone's I tried did not stick. I tested one and was able to remove it with a razor blade, but they were hard to see on the second story windows so I just left them on the windows. The 1/4" aluminum frames just sat on the brackets. The brackets also had holes in case I wanted to zip tie them on, but I don't think they were needed. I will know in a couple of months if the brackets I put up last year are still strong. If not I will just repeat the process. Any other questions just let me know.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345