Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: How Do I Mount Pixel Frames Around Windows?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: How Do I Mount Pixel Frames Around Windows?

Quote Originally Posted by tucsonlights View Post
    I use these http://www.blueridgecompany.com/radi...x-pipe-holders
    I tried hot glue, double sided tape, special epoxy and they all failed. It was awful, I had my lights falling off all over my house. I then bought these clips and used stainless steel screws and drilled them into the outer window jam. I sealed the hole with polyurethane caulking before I attached the clips. They can hold a large amount of weight and are super secure. If I ever move, I will remove the clips and cover the hole with white caulking. I have had no leakage or any problems in 5 years.
    Just going out on a limb, but I am going to guess your didn't read the post(s) where the OP says his window trim pieces are Styrofoam? Wood, yea, those clips with screws would work fine. Styrofoam will rip apart and probably break the stucco on them. Then his wife will beat him with his light frames (guessing on that one).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chris A View Post
    There is no edge to expand to. The windows are flush and the trim is made of stucco covered Styrofoam and cant take much pressure.
    It doesn't need much pressure. Just snug enough to keep it from falling out. It won't be in the wind or anything tucked into the trim.
    2009 - 48 channel MegaTree 4800 lights
    plus 3200 lights static display.
    2010 - 6 Snowflakes on heavy equipment stored in front yard :-(
    2011 - 72 channel Megatree 7520 lights,
    120 channel total about 10k lights total

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    Just going out on a limb, but I am going to guess your didn't read the post(s) where the OP says his window trim pieces are Styrofoam? Wood, yea, those clips with screws would work fine. Styrofoam will rip apart and probably break the stucco on them. Then his wife will beat him with his light frames (guessing on that one).
    Looking back at the Pictures of his windows, there appears to be exposed widow frame at least top and bottom, that is not the Styrofoam, where he could screw in the clips, but going back to the OP, sounds like his wife is against that.
    Matt 2016, 1st Show

Post Thanks / Like

Hi, I use these for everything. They work well on glass and are not to bad to clean off. You would have to add a piece at 45 deg across the corners of the frame so that it overlaped the glass.

Post Thanks / Like

Um, Yes I did read the OP. I have a stucco home has well. The construction is called EIFS. The windows he has are similar to all vinyl windows. I meant to screw in to the window jamb. If his wife doesn't want that, I understand. I have used this method for 5 years and had great success. I was apprehensive about attaching the clip to the window but it has worked well for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, how about a bit unorthodox attempt at a solution? Everyone seems focused on the trim. How about the obvious elephant in the middle? I haven't tested this but it might work. Won't cost much to try.

You will need a couple things from home depot or something like it (you may have bits around the house you can use in lieu of buying these)...
    http://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-...2407/204225759
    http://www.homedepot.com/p/Con-Tact-...9-12/100388878

and some of these...

Not that specific drive. Any old dead drive. Several. The more the merrier.

If you are using stuff from around the house, you want thick STEEL brackets or something like it. Gotta be ferrous, not aluminum or brass.

Rip apart the hard drives. Locate the baller magnets in them, extract them, and toss the rest in the scrap bin. If you don't have any dead drives, go make friends with a computer geek who does. Bring Mountain Dew or Energy Drinks for trade

Cut the L stock into short pieces couple inches wide. Cut the shelf liner into small squares bout the size of one face of the L stock pieces.

Make peace with the wife about this time by sending her out to get her nails done or something nice (unless you want your wife to see what you are doing and is willing to help).

Hot glue a loop of string to the magnets. Stick the suction cups (which you own already) to the inside of the window at the bottom. Hang the magnet(s) from them so they are against the glass at the bottom. You could alternatively hold the magnets in place with a bit of blue painter's tape(which can be removed later). Also hang magnets (using same process) at the top of the window.

Go outside and place a square of the shelf liner against the glass where a magnet is. Blue painter's tape may assist that step as well. Gently bring the L stock piece up to it. The magnet will likely hold it in place if you got good magnets. If you have extra magnets (hopefully) add one to the L bracket to increase the holding power (forming a sandwich... magnet>glass>bracket>magnet). The shelf liner should keep it from sliding down the window, the magnet(s) should hold it against the window. The brackets at the bottom can rest against the frame (preventing the whole shooting match from sliding down the window).

Hang your PVC frame from the L brackets stuck to the window at the top and rest it on the ones at the bottom of the window. Depending on the weight of your frame, you will probably need several L brackets and corresponding magnets.
    I have always thought that my solution would have to involve the window itself somehow. I have tried a magnet, but I'm sure it wasn't strong enough. My other concern was similar to what Beeiilll was speaking of with the suction being so bad on the heavy duty suction cups, it would break the glass. I thought a stronger magnet may break the glass, and did I mention that the windows are double pane? I'm not sure how that would effect a magnet or would it just collapse the panes on themselves. This idea is certainly worth a try. I don't have a pvc frame it's 1/4" aluminum flat stock and the frame weighs about 6 pounds. Thanks for entertaining this problem, I feel like I have a team of engineers working on this.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Popo-B-Trippin View Post
    I built my frames out of 3/4" PVC pipe, and then ran that same PVC as "legs" that went to the ground. I then slide those legs over some rebar and it stands up without having to be attached to the house. My biggest frame is roughly 12' high by 5' wide, and going on my 3rd season without an issue.
    These are on the second story.

Four Windows.JPG

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Barnabybear View Post
    Hi, I use these for everything. They work well on glass and are not to bad to clean off. You would have to add a piece at 45 deg across the corners of the frame so that it overlaped the glass.
    These are easy enough to test and maybe using enough of them would hold the frame. I'm adding it to my list of things to try. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by didjareally View Post
    Anything overhead that you attach wires to? Could then suspend the frame from above and use suction cups or mounting tape on the bottom to keep it from flopping around. I also seen a post recently where someone uses eyelets and 100lb fishing line to hoist/suspend their lights on pvc to their eaves. Possibly thread the fishing line through the edges of the window and attach from the inside of the house.
    I am able to lower it from the eaves above the windows and I think I will do that regardless of what solution I use in case something fails the safety wire from above will prevent the frames from ending up on the driveway. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

If you can attach too the eves and hang them in front of the windows you then can use the drip holes on windows too pull them tighter too the window with zip ties or wire
    James WinterHaven Fl

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast