Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: How Do I Mount Pixel Frames Around Windows?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: How Do I Mount Pixel Frames Around Windows?

I have seen some people use the expandable curtain rods that fit inside a window frame. Or if it was a big window you might look at one of the expandable shower curtain rods. Both of those have internal screw mechanisms to tighten up the contact with the frames.
    Last edited by jnealand; 07-28-2016 at 11:10 AM.
    Jim Nealand
    Kennesaw, Ga

Post Thanks / Like

I've seen people make custom 1/2 inch pvc frames that push into the firm frame and hold with friction. The screen frame with spring clips is kinda the same idea.
    2009 - 48 channel MegaTree 4800 lights
    plus 3200 lights static display.
    2010 - 6 Snowflakes on heavy equipment stored in front yard :-(
    2011 - 72 channel Megatree 7520 lights,
    120 channel total about 10k lights total

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jnealand View Post
    I have seen some people use the expandable curtain rods that fit inside a window frame. Or if it was a big window you might look at one of the expandable shower curtain rods. Both of those have internal screw mechanisms to tighten up the contact with the frames.
    Quote Originally Posted by Skunberg View Post
    I've seen people make custom 1/2 inch pvc frames that push into the firm frame and hold with friction. The screen frame with spring clips is kinda the same idea.
    There is no edge to expand to. The windows are flush and the trim is made of stucco covered Styrofoam and cant take much pressure.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, how about a bit unorthodox attempt at a solution? Everyone seems focused on the trim. How about the obvious elephant in the middle? I haven't tested this but it might work. Won't cost much to try.

You will need a couple things from home depot or something like it (you may have bits around the house you can use in lieu of buying these)...
    http://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-...2407/204225759
    http://www.homedepot.com/p/Con-Tact-...9-12/100388878

and some of these...

Not that specific drive. Any old dead drive. Several. The more the merrier.

If you are using stuff from around the house, you want thick STEEL brackets or something like it. Gotta be ferrous, not aluminum or brass.

Rip apart the hard drives. Locate the baller magnets in them, extract them, and toss the rest in the scrap bin. If you don't have any dead drives, go make friends with a computer geek who does. Bring Mountain Dew or Energy Drinks for trade

Cut the L stock into short pieces couple inches wide. Cut the shelf liner into small squares bout the size of one face of the L stock pieces.

Make peace with the wife about this time by sending her out to get her nails done or something nice (unless you want your wife to see what you are doing and is willing to help).

Hot glue a loop of string to the magnets. Stick the suction cups (which you own already) to the inside of the window at the bottom. Hang the magnet(s) from them so they are against the glass at the bottom. You could alternatively hold the magnets in place with a bit of blue painter's tape(which can be removed later). Also hang magnets (using same process) at the top of the window.

Go outside and place a square of the shelf liner against the glass where a magnet is. Blue painter's tape may assist that step as well. Gently bring the L stock piece up to it. The magnet will likely hold it in place if you got good magnets. If you have extra magnets (hopefully) add one to the L bracket to increase the holding power (forming a sandwich... magnet>glass>bracket>magnet). The shelf liner should keep it from sliding down the window, the magnet(s) should hold it against the window. The brackets at the bottom can rest against the frame (preventing the whole shooting match from sliding down the window).

Hang your PVC frame from the L brackets stuck to the window at the top and rest it on the ones at the bottom of the window. Depending on the weight of your frame, you will probably need several L brackets and corresponding magnets.

Post Thanks / Like

I have used magnets in the past, paint white to match the window.
    100_1835.jpg100_1836.JPG100_1838.jpg008236128079lg.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stallionent View Post
    I have used magnets in the past, paint white to match the window.
    Maybe I am not so far out in left field after all

Post Thanks / Like

I built my frames out of 3/4" PVC pipe, and then ran that same PVC as "legs" that went to the ground. I then slide those legs over some rebar and it stands up without having to be attached to the house. My biggest frame is roughly 12' high by 5' wide, and going on my 3rd season without an issue.

Post Thanks / Like

If you don't have an HDD or know a PC tech you can also purchase them pretty cheap

http://www.ebay.com/itm/100pcs-Neody...cAAOSwwpdW9vMc
    Matt 2016, 1st Show

Post Thanks / Like

I use these http://www.blueridgecompany.com/radi...x-pipe-holders
    I tried hot glue, double sided tape, special epoxy and they all failed. It was awful, I had my lights falling off all over my house. I then bought these clips and used stainless steel screws and drilled them into the outer window jam. I sealed the hole with polyurethane caulking before I attached the clips. They can hold a large amount of weight and are super secure. If I ever move, I will remove the clips and cover the hole with white caulking. I have had no leakage or any problems in 5 years.

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, you can buy them many places. But then you have to wait. Figure a dead hard drive is an easy find and you can at least test to see if the concept will work right away.

A word of caution, these things can smart if you aren't paying attention or you have a moment of stupid. My SIL was goofing around with my granddaughters and took some magnets off my fridge. He placed one behind his earlobe and before I could get words out to stop him, he put the other one on the front. There was a snap sound followed by a grown man shreeking in a very high pitch voice "God! Get them off! Get them off!"

He only did it once. And yes, it left a mark

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast