Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weird web browser behavior while using DIYC

Post Thanks / Like

Default Weird web browser behavior while using DIYC

Hi

I usually use Firefox as my 'go to' browser. Over the past year or so since I've joined DIYC, simple things like going from one forum to the other has required LOGGING IN - again and again. Post a comment? LOG IN AGAIN! Start a thread? LOG IN AGAIN! I have checked into FF settings to see if there is something corrupt or not set properly.

I recently required Internet Exploder for some things b/c Fried Fox becomes OUT FOXED and refuses to do things properly. IE does some things that are favorable for my uses.

So far, to date, both browsers behave differently when surfing the DIYC site.

Sure, two different browsers, I got that. However, for all intent and purpose, some of the extreme differences, such as logging on multiple times or how some links respond could/should be uniform.

Simple as leaving an email for another member. IE does OKAY. FF goes completely out into left field - and looses the message/email.

Oh, yes, both browsers are UP TO DATE. I do have one PC that uses much older versions (2-3 years older) of both IE and FF for testing purposes.

Thanks for any thoughts.
    Eddie
    -Eddie

The missus wants to ride!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Weird web browser behavior while using DIYC

I use all 3 browsers, just depends on which system I am using at the time w/o any issues. I am currently using Firefox as I read and answer your post and I have not had any issues like you describe. I think w/ Chrome I have been asked to login occasionally when opening an attachment but that is it. Is sounds like you have some browser corruption at the very least, if not OS corruption. I would use Revo to remove Firefox (can't uninstall IE), run Malwarebytes to check for virus/malware issues, Ccleaner to clean the junk out of your system (registry included) and Tweaking.com's Windows Repair. Then download and reinstall Firefox to see if you are still having any issues
    Matt

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ruppro View Post
    I use all 3 browsers, just depends on which system I am using at the time w/o any issues. I am currently using Firefox as I read and answer your post and I have not had any issues like you describe. I think w/ Chrome I have been asked to login occasionally when opening an attachment but that is it. Is sounds like you have some browser corruption at the very least, if not OS corruption. I would use Revo to remove Firefox (can't uninstall IE), run Malwarebytes to check for virus/malware issues, Ccleaner to clean the junk out of your system (registry included) and Tweaking.com's Windows Repair. Then download and reinstall Firefox to see if you are still having any issues
    Hey, thanks for the insight. What I've seen is it happening on this Win 8 Pro machine and several other machines I have. XP, XP x64, Vista and Win 7 Pro. However, I will investigate it further.

I recently had to delete all the Fried Fox folders after uninstalling it. Had an issue with FF but since then it has been corrected. Chrome? IMHO - Google spyware as it usually forces you to login. Might as well paint a bulls eye on my back.

I will keep track of this phenomenon and detail it further.

Thanks again,
    -Eddie

Post Thanks / Like

Watch out for cookie blockers, if you are using one, turn it off and see what happens. Also try clicking the little box that says remember me.
    Jim Nealand
    Kennesaw, Ga

5. Likes Ruppro liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I also use Fire Fox and don't have login every time, unless I use CCleaner which deletes all cookies.
    In FireFox go to Options-> Privacy -> History and select "Remeber history". This should keep your login info.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LightUp View Post
    I also use Fire Fox and don't have login every time, unless I use CCleaner which deletes all cookies.
    In FireFox go to Options-> Privacy -> History and select "Remeber history". This should keep your login info.
    Hi - thanks for the thought.

I keep cookies until FF closes. No problems with other sites so it is why I am miffed over this. What I did notice is something similar to a timed expiration. More than 5-10 minutes and POOF! Login again.

IE has been good - it has a NON-published feature one could call "auto-login" - all the sites that want a UID/PW are automatically logged in and I get sent to the page (home page, etc) No Login pages like in Fried Fox. That's a plus.

I checked and will try the "REMEMBER ME". If I am not mistaken, it simply stores a cookie to log me in. I save UID and PW so it's not such a time suck to put that info in. Also since UID and PW are common place, NO I do not use the same UID and PW for sites - for obvious reasons.

I will go and check some of the other machines I have here to see what is what - terribly busy with family coming in for the weekend.

Thanks again!
    Last edited by RGB_Mixer; 07-20-2016 at 01:39 PM.
    -Eddie

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Eddie
    I gave up on Firefox over a year ago. Tired of the constant flash player crashing. No matter how many times I updated the flash player it constantly crashed. I switched over to Chrome and have been satisfied so far. Chrome does have a little bit of a learning curve, but once you figure out the menu it becomes easier to use.

If you don't want to ditch Firefox, there's another option. It's called Palemoon. It was created by the same developers that created Firefox. It's interface is exactly the same as Firefox, but I find it to work much better than Firefox.

https://www.palemoon.org/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pale_Moon_(web_browser)

Hope this helps
    Adam
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNv4__V1LA8

or type Christmas lights in st charles in the youtube search bar.
    Leglamp

Post Thanks / Like

Was anything changed (like maybe an upgrade or something) on the server end for this site in the past couple weeks?

It used to show up fine, but suddenly it doesn't show right anymore, and making replies is tough because it only gives a tiny little box to type in...
    24 Ch/486dx 33mhz PC

Post Thanks / Like

I use Chrome on Win 7 and I have to login whenever I go to another task in Windows and then come back to the browser later (I don't close it). I don't know what the timeout is but I end up signing in several times a day without closing the session.

Post Thanks / Like

I only use Firefox and have not had a problem staying logged in. I stay logged in and even when I visit the next day after turning off the computer I'm still logged in.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast