Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 4K Clear View

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: 4K Clear View

ok... i've been debating my options for a matrix, and happen to have 4 rolls of 2812 60/m strips... have any real world results yet?
    2012: 24 channels with 1 Renardss24 * 2013: 48 channels with 2 Renardss24's * 2014: Took the year off * 2015: Life Got in the Way
    2016: 1000 Channels for Halloween, mix of A/C, RGB, Pixels. Christmas over 17 universes, all Pixels, oh boy...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 4586shaggy View Post
    ok... i've been debating my options for a matrix, and happen to have 4 rolls of 2812 60/m strips... have any real world results yet?
    Being that I have not destructed this matrix yet , I am going to revive this project . The HinksPix16 controller will be replacing the e682"s in a new configuration .
    I will decrease pixel spacing and increase the pixel density to account for the aspect ratio's height appearance wise .

I had originally thought that it was best to keep the pixels uniform by spacing every second row , but in testing my thinking was proved wrong .
    Further testing to follow .
    I will provide you video of the end result .

Post Thanks / Like

Still re working this matrix and getting close to completion .

I resolved the strip replacement issue by creating an independent tension strip .

The biggest pain is tapping all the holes and cutting set screws .

I also remove the strip spacing and increased the pixel count to 5712 .

Post Thanks / Like

I finally have this matrix working with 96 strips of 84 pixels ! woot

It is now an 8k run by 1 HinksPix16 controller and 1 60a 5v power supply .

The HinksPix16 replaced 4x e682 controllers 8x 5v 60a power supplies and miles of excess wiring pig tails etc .

The HinksPix controller impressively simplifies connectivity without the need for extra boards or wares .
    Truly an amazing controller currently running 48 Universes flawlessly.

I am looking forward to the future with this controller and larger pixel projects .

I can now confidently retire the majority of my e68*s and replace with the Easy lights controllers .

Post Thanks / Like

Here is 1/2 of the 8k pixels under set screw tension .

It is well worth the effort to stretch the pixel strip tight .

A tip for anyone considering this if you are doing a zig zag layout as I have .

I found it best to align the pixel from the center out , it takes a bit of back and forth adjusting but again it is worth the effort .

Cheers

Post Thanks / Like

Looking really nice. Will it be making it outside this year?

Also, what are you estimating the end cost for the whole up system, about $1.5k?
    ~Jason
    [URL]http://www.tooz.us[/URL]

Post Thanks / Like

My goal is to have it out for the coming weekend .

The 17th of Dec. is are annual xmas street fair , so I make that my all lights and audio on day .

Two weeks of chaos traffic wise is enough on my neighbors .

You are with in reason at 1.5k not considering the endless hours of your time .

I plan to build another but using smaller leds 35/35 rather than 50/50 .
    Also higher density 144/m rather than 60/m

A special thanks to Joe Hinkle for creating the HinksPix controller and HLS , which the two combined
    simplified the control of a matrix this size.

Computer - HLS sequencer , Hinkspix controller and a single 5v 60a power supply . just amazing !

Cheers

Post Thanks / Like

It looks great, it is just crazy how these things add up. My matrix from about 3 years ago is 72x20 30/m strips and I estimate about $750 for everything (including material to actually build it), so I was thinking since you bought direct from overseas, that was a savings, so I just doubled my cost. Look forward to seeing some stuff run on it!
    ~Jason
    [URL]http://www.tooz.us[/URL]

Post Thanks / Like

Will your display be bright enough to be used as an outdoor (billboard) sign? I've been toying with the idea of building one for our church but will need two to be viewed from either road direction.

Post Thanks / Like

The pixels are 5v WS2812b which do not produce nice color like the Tls 3001 but come close .

@ 50 or Higher brightness level , I think all 8 bit pixels are about the same.

With the clear view twin wall that I put the pixels in , the images can be viewed from both sides

The fcb the pixels are mounted on does not offer much of a barrier to the led light.

I am using 10% brightness with 8k pixels is more than adequate , and will still cause issues if viewed for long periods of time .

Once I get it out , I will video at various distances to see what the limits and benefits are .

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast