Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Project to use a pixelstick type device as a FPP remote.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Project to use a pixelstick type device as a FPP remote.

Hi, give this a try it looks good to me.

Written using:
    Arduino IDE 1.6.20
    ESP8266 2.3.0
    FastLED 3.1.6

1. Download and unzip the files – store in your normal Arduino sketch folder.
    2. Download the SPIFFS file loading tool as per - http://esp8266.github.io/Arduino/ver...ilesystem.html
    3. Unzip and place in the Arduino folder as per the instructions.
    4. Open the downloaded sketch and set tools options as follows:

Board: Generic ESP8266 module.
    CPU Frequency: 160MHz.
    Flash Size: 4M (3M SPIFFS).
    Upload Speed: 921600 (you may need to slow this down).

5. Connect your ESPixelstick for flashing and press the buttons to enable flash mode.
    6. From the Arduino IDE – Tools – select the ESP8266 Sketch Data Upload option. This should start loading in the same way a sketch does but will take some time – make a cup of tea.

Note: We have now loaded the .FSEQ file into the ESPs flash memory but we haven’t loaded the sketch yet so we have to do a second flash.

7. Connect your ESPixelstick for flashing and press the buttons to enable flash mode.
    8. From the Arduino IDE – Sketch – select the Upload option.

Job done – connect to some WS2811 / 2812 pixels and power up.

Notes and known limitations:

This is working for me but there are lots of things I might not have considered.
    This will not work with the ESP8266 BLUE PCBs, but the ESPixelstick code doesn't.
    You can change the .FSEQ file in the data folder which is in the same folder as the sketch.
    The .FSEQ file MUST be renamed ‘pixel_data.fseq’ (the same as the one in there now) any deviation from this will not work.
    The maximum file size is 2.5MB but anything above 1.5MB will run very slowly after the first 1.5MB. I’m working on this but keep files to less than 1.5MB until I find a fix
    The two flash uploads are independent so once the sketch is uploaded you can change the .FSEQ without needing to reload the sketch.
    With the current settings anything more than 340 pixels will display random data as the buffer is set to 340 pixels and anything after that is random junk.
    This uses GPIO 2 for the pixel data output, as far as I can ascertain this is the output used on the ESPixelstick. It can be changed in the sketch if needed.
    This replaces the ESPixelstick code. It is stand a loan code that runs the .FSEQ file on power up, wifi is disabled there are no menus - power - run - that’s it.
    Tested with 50mS timing – 25mS may or may not work as expected.
    At this time you can only change the pixel colour order from the sketch – I’ll document this more later.

Have fun.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Barnabybear; 11-20-2017 at 03:35 AM. Reason: Attach file.

Post Thanks / Like

Okay i'm going to tackle this, if not tonight, tomorrow. Let you know what I see!!

Tory
    Happy to Show support;
    Xlights/Nutcracker and The Falcon Team

Post Thanks / Like

Hi, the obligatory video (no sound). It looks as if it sequence is stuttering in places, I’ve checked the timing and it takes about 19mS to read the .FSEQ, copy the data into the FastLED buffer and output to the pixels. I also printed out the time between the frames and it is spot on 50mS so I think it is the sequence itself as it does this in the same positions on each pass (see how this works for you). I’ve seen this before with xLights when it has to fit an effect into a time slot that doesn’t divide exactly and it emphasizes this when the pixels are only ” centres as opposed to 3” (but it’s great for spotting faults).

The ESP8266 is a Wemos D1 Mini powered from the 5V supply to the WS2812 (144 per Meter).
    Last edited by Barnabybear; 11-20-2017 at 08:29 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Okay I'm working on this.. See what I can do
    Happy to Show support;

Post Thanks / Like

Getting closer, update soon. Had to stop stepping on my own feet.

Tory
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Livermore-Dad; 11-20-2017 at 08:54 PM.
    Happy to Show support;

Post Thanks / Like

Hi, that all looks cool. I think you are correct the problem is that you haven't put the .FSEQ file into the ESP's flash memory so it has nothing to read. I had the same problem.

In your normal Arduino folder where you save your sketches create a folder called 'tools' (all lower case and no apostrophes).

Download the file below - save - unzip – and put it in the ‘tool’ folder you just created.

https://github.com/esp8266/arduino-e...66FS-0.2.0.zip

So now if you go to your Arduino sketch folder and click on the following:

tools -> ESP8266FS -> tool -> you should find esp8266fs.jar

If so all is good – close the Arduino IDE and then re-open it.

This should have opened the sketch again, now if you click on:
    Tools (from the top menu bar) one of the options should be ESP8266 Sketch Data Upload, put the ESP into flash mode and then click this. You will know if it is working as it looks like a normal upload but the colours are white not orange. Once the download is complete it should work but may need a power down.
    Last edited by Barnabybear; 11-20-2017 at 08:46 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Yep got beyond that, figured I had not gotten the FS set up as a tool. Did that but still not getting blinky flashy. Trying to figure out the best way to flush everything and start over. Tested the lights against some sandevices here so they work, but nothing from the LED's when plugging this in.. Actually reflashing ESPpixel, just to verify that everything is still working and I can get lights I'll then attempt to a) load the file b) load the sketch

Tory
    Happy to Show support;

Post Thanks / Like

Thought I updated not sure where that post went.

Anyways, re-flashed back to ESPixle and got blinky flashy, loaded the stuff back on and nothing. So not sure what the diff is between my card and the other I checked the fseq file including a md5 hash and it's not been corrupted or anything, so not sure.

Also checked the code and the original stuff used pin2 as well, so not sure what the diff is, This is a v1 card, red, so only have the reset button

Tory
    Last edited by Livermore-Dad; 11-21-2017 at 01:58 AM. Reason: updated status
    Happy to Show support;

Post Thanks / Like

@Barnabybear, I was playing with your code and found out it didn't work with esp-12(core 2.4.0), did some researches on FastLED, I have to put "#define FASTLED_ESP8266_RAW_PIN_ORDER" before "#include <FastLED.h>" so the GPIO is correct or it will use the NodeMCU pinout.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi pakeonoahu. A nice find, other than that is it working for you?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast