Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Mini tree question

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Mini tree question

Quote Originally Posted by beeiilll View Post
    I would like to ask those of you who have pixels on your mini trees a question on quantity used.
    I wonder how many pixels look good on say a 42" - 360 degree mini tree! I was thinking about using 100 when I start making them but would 150 be better or not?
    I don't have pixels on them yet but my 54 mini trees are here waiting for me to strip the 100 dumb rgb off and install pixels which are here waiting... My trees last year had 100 dumb rgb which is a little thin. With 54 mini trees I really don't want to mess with power injection on top and bottom of each tree.. 150 nodes would look much better in my opinion but I can live with 100. If I didn't have so many trees it would definitely be more than 100. I used 42" tomato cages with 100 dumb rgb each with 3" spacing https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOprGklzGFg

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Santacarl View Post
    Hey Mike,

I've had 'glowers' in the past on some of my Renard based LEDs..... I solved them by using a 'scrubber'..... I took an old plug...soldered a resistor between the 2 wires and plugged it into the 'glower'....and it bleeds off that small voltage problem REALLY well.... I just bugged me to see those things glowing eerily in the dark....One was on a wireframe snowman.....his mouth would just glow in the dark....nothing else....just the mouth.....really strange looking ..... LOL....
    Where do you plug a snubber in? Seems to me that if you put it on the string you will blow the resistor as soon as the string goes on.
    Last edited by mikeh65; 05-27-2016 at 10:59 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mikeh65 View Post
    Where do you plug a snubber in? Seems to me that if you put it on the string you will blow the resistor as soon as the string goes on.
    Snubbers work great on AC light. I just plug them into the end of the string. Besides stopping the low power glow when the lights are supposed to be off, they seem to give much smoother dimming.
    Jim Nealand
    Kennesaw, Ga

Post Thanks / Like

It doesn't matter which end you plug it in to.....Either end is a basically a parallel circuit so either end bridges (parallels) the 2 AC lines..... either way the resistor bleeds of the excess/stray low voltage and the resistance is high enough that it doesn't generate much heat when the full load is across it.....
    Last edited by Santacarl; 05-27-2016 at 02:46 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

In parallel with the string. It basically goes across the two wires on the power cord - though there are los of ways to actually do it. I put mine directly in the SSR box, right where the power pigtail wires attach to the terminal blocks on the SSR board.

And, yes and no, you can blow it unless you size the resistor appropriately - both resistance and wattage. It does, however, slightly increase your electricity usage.

You should use a resistor around 50K (mine are 47K). You can use a lower value (perhaps half that) or higher (not sure how much higher) - the exact value doesn't matter.

120v / 47K = ~2.5mA (2.5 milliamps). So power dissipated (as 'waste' heat) Vi = (i^2 ) * R = ~0.3W so use a half watt - or better yet a one watt - resistor. If your resistance is too low, or the power rating too low for the resistance, you WILL see sparks! And you'll increase your power usage by 0.3W per string - likely not an issue.

As Skunberg pointed out:
    Quote Originally Posted by Skunberg
    There is a good write up in the wiki on snubbers.
    So search for 'snubber'. There are some other posts - you just have to look for them.

Some of those posts also discuss different ways to actually connect/use them. Some are easier/better than others. One of the slicker ideas is to actually put it inside a (male) plug assembly - then you just add that plug to the END of the string with issue.

Jimboha
    Last edited by jimboha; 05-27-2016 at 03:09 PM.
    Springville, Utah

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456