Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mini tree question

Post Thanks / Like

Default Mini tree question

Hey All,

I am repurposing some LED mini lights that came off my leaping arches.....which I turned into pixel arches....

Anyhow.... I am planning on using tomato cages and wrap the LED mini strings around the tomato cages and I started to wonder if all that exposed metal on the tomato cages is going to be a problem with blowing fuses in wet weather. Lots of rain in my area during the season.

The LED mini's are all non replaceable types so there's not a lot of area where moisture can get in like there was in the old days of incad mini lights.

Does anyone have any thoughts or experience with such a setup? I'll likely convert to pixels at some point but the big expensed budget this year was for leapers...in the meantime I hope I'm not creating a nightmare by using these cages....

Do I need to put something under them that would insulate or interrupt the path to ground or can I just get away with sitting the bare metal cage on the ground?

Thanks for any discussion/thoughts.....

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Mini tree question

I had 15 of these at one point. I just zip tied the lights to the cage and placed on the ground. I live in Florida.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chadowamsley View Post
    I had 15 of these at one point. I just zip tied the lights to the cage and placed on the ground. I live in Florida.
    Thanks for the feedback Chadowamsley...... We probably get about the same rainfall.... I couldn't help myself when I ended up with all those lights off the old leapers....Couldn't stand having lights that weren't being used...

Post Thanks / Like

I don't recall anyone having fuse problems. Lots of people have had gfci problems. If you do have a gfci issue just throw a peice of plywood under each one to get the wire out of the ground.
    2009 - 48 channel MegaTree 4800 lights
    plus 3200 lights static display.
    2010 - 6 Snowflakes on heavy equipment stored in front yard :-(
    2011 - 72 channel Megatree 7520 lights,
    120 channel total about 10k lights total

Post Thanks / Like

I used metal floral wreath holders with incans wrapped around them and then upgraded to LEDs. Never had an issue with the metal stands, I even pushed them in the ground to keep them from blowing over.
    Jim Nealand
    Kennesaw, Ga

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Skunberg View Post
    I don't recall anyone having fuse problems. Lots of people have had gfci problems. If you do have a gfci issue just throw a peice of plywood under each one to get the wire out of the ground.
    As said, no problems with blowing fuses, just tripping the GFCI. We are converting them all to pixels this year. Never have problems with pixels, dumb or smart.
    Live, Laugh, Love.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the comments.....Hmmmmm GCFI....all my stuff uses those..... I thought about the plywood idea and wondered if it would insulate enough....looks like it will....

Post Thanks / Like

Don't know that it will help, as this is my first year, but I also am building Mini Trees, using Tomato Cages and Mini ican lights. In HD I found Rustoleum Undercoating, Black Rubberized Undercoating Spray Paint that I am using to prevent GCFI/Fuse issues (I hope ). My only recommendation is to make sure you let it dry for several days before working w/ the cages, even after 1 day they were still a little tacky and my fingers got coated.
    Matt

Post Thanks / Like

I've had a fair amount of issues with my mini trees with incans over the years. Gets pretty wet in California where I live. Bought new home in 2014 and I'm down from 70+ to 54 mini trees. They were made of 42" tomato cages wrapped in chicken wire with 300 white incan each Upgraded them in 2015 with 100 dumb RGB bullets each. Have 5400 pixels to retrofit from dumb RGB to Pixels this year. 2015 was pretty much 100% DC with no AC power in the yard except my tune to sign and static fence around perimeter of my yard. Not a single tripped GFI or any issue whatsoever once going DC. With cost of pixels so low these days makes no sense to do anything else for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by uncledan View Post
    I've had a fair amount of issues with my mini trees with incans over the years. Gets pretty wet in California where I live. Bought new home in 2014 and I'm down from 70+ to 54 mini trees. They were made of 42" tomato cages wrapped in chicken wire with 300 white incan each Upgraded them in 2015 with 100 dumb RGB bullets each. Have 5400 pixels to retrofit from dumb RGB to Pixels this year. 2015 was pretty much 100% DC with no AC power in the yard except my tune to sign and static fence around perimeter of my yard. Not a single tripped GFI or any issue whatsoever once going DC. With cost of pixels so low these days makes no sense to do anything else for me.
    Not surprised about the DC results. In my case...I have 56 strings of LED strings that I can't see throwing away and mini trees was about the only thing I could come up with to utilize them.... We'll see how it works I guess....

I do have a question though..... Did you try your mini trees without the chicken wire? Or, did you find that you needed it to make the trees more full/round? I am actually using 2 cages for each tree...I'm hoping that gives me enough of a rounded/full look......but I hadn't thought of the chicken wire so I'd be interested in hearing more....

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast