Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: "Poor Mans" $3 Sharkbite Light Arch Base How To

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: "Poor Mans" $3 Sharkbite Light Arch Base How To

Very cool! It looks like the tension of the arched tube is spreading the pvc feet slightly on the smaller tubes.
    Running (3) E682's (1) Falcon F16v3 (1) Falcon pi-cap (20) ESPixelSticks - 8000 Pixels - Vixen - Falcon Pi Player - [URL="http://www.facebook.com/GainesvilleXmasLights"]http://www.facebook.com/GainesvilleXmasLights[/URL]<br></br>[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ThinkAgainAgain View Post
    Very cool! It looks like the tension of the arched tube is spreading the pvc feet slightly on the smaller tubes.
    It is quite a bit, will have to brace the front going 3D

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I'm gonna set those up in xlights to see what effects I can do. Might be doing my arches over as well. Great idea thank you for sharing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lightsonmontague View Post
    I'm gonna set those up in xlights to see what effects I can do. Might be doing my arches over as well. Great idea thank you for sharing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That is the whole idea of this forum, as much as I have learned I try to give back

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the idea, I had been trying to come up with something like this for my arches. I did some looking around and found there is a fitting made that should work well without modifications, its called a bullhead tee. Here's a link.

[URL="http://www.pvcfittingsonline.com/401-102-3-4-x-3-4-x-1-schedule-40-pvc-reducing-tee.html?gclid=CjwKEAjwyPW5BRCC3JaM7qfW_FwSJACM3jz 99_OVTEmMlmPu4F8PkYo-A8f4753X908E93PUAiRJHRoC-FLw_wcB"]

They are 83 cents each, shipping to NC for 16 of them was $6.80 for US mail.
    Last edited by davetv102; 05-19-2016 at 09:47 PM.
    And on the 8th day, God created Christmas lights.

Post Thanks / Like

1" fittings are too big for 1" Pex. Pex measurements are OD while PVC measurements are ID. I put my calipers on the 1" sharkbite tube and a 3/4" pvc tube, Pex was 1/16" larger. Pex purposely made their tubing slightly off-size to force you into their over-priced fittings. 45 seconds with a dremel per fitting defeats that!!!

I was paying around $0.46 for each T fitting at Home Depot. elbows were $0.36. 10' Length of 3/4" sch 40 PVC was $2.50. I was using half that for my application.

0.46 + 0.46 + 0.36 + 0.36 + 1.25 = $2.89 That is how I came up with the $3 number for a base.

I paid about $6.50 for the 1" sharkbite. So 7 foot arch will cost less then $10 to construct (no pixels)
    Last edited by nailhead_ford; 05-19-2016 at 10:40 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Re: "Poor Mans" $3 Sharkbite Light Arch Base How To

Quote Originally Posted by nailhead_ford View Post
    1" fittings are too big for 1" Pex. Pex measurements are OD while PVC measurements are ID. I put my calipers on the 1" sharkbite tube and a 3/4" pvc tube, Pex was 1/16" larger. Pex purposely made their tubing slightly off-size to force you into their over-priced fittings. 45 seconds with a dremel per fitting defeats that!!!

I was paying around $0.46 for each T fitting at Home Depot. elbows were $0.36. 10' Length of 3/4" sch 40 PVC was $2.50. I was using half that for my application.

0.46 + 0.46 + 0.36 + 0.36 + 1.25 = $2.89 That is how I came up with the $3 number for a base.

I paid about $6.50 for the 1" sharkbite. So 7 foot arch will cost less then $10 to construct (no pixels)
    Dang, I was hoping not to thin the wall of the fitting since I planned on using this design to make some large arches with the fitting I found and retain the strength of the tee. I guess I need to mock one up and see what it takes to break the fitting after I put it in the freezer for a while. May be worrying a lot about nothing..........................
    And on the 8th day, God created Christmas lights.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by davetv102 View Post
    Dang, I was hoping not to thin the wall of the fitting since I planned on using this design to make some large arches with the fitting I found and retain the strength of the tee. I guess I need to mock one up and see what it takes to break the fitting after I put it in the freezer for a while. May be worrying a lot about nothing..........................
    1/16" out of a schedule 40 fitting is barely putting a dent in it.

Post Thanks / Like

On my mega tree I originally thought of doing 1" pex using these from Home depot ,tight fit in 3/4 pvc http://www.homedepot.com/p/SharkBite...arb+1001404767

Post Thanks / Like

1/2 in PEX might fit in ? PVC fittings? http://www.homedepot.com/p/SharkBite...08A5/206133131

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast