Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How I build my arches

Post Thanks / Like

Default How I build my arches

I built these arches in 2013.. They go up very fast, just a minute or two. They have withstood 50mph winds.

i used 15' of 1/2" grey emt, flex strips cable tied on outside of pipe facing down. one 1/2" steel emt in the center of arche. this kept pipe vertical. i used paracord tied on the bottom edge, pull paracord until arch if formed. basically the arch is held up with one bolt in the center. after christmas, i untie paracord and arch becomes straight
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Sean
    Littleton, CO
    Latest releases [url]http://nutcracker123.com/nutcracker/releases[/url]
    xLights/Nutcracker Forum [url]http://nutcracker123.com/forum/index.php[/url]
    Facebook [url]https://www.facebook.com/groups/628061113896314[/url]

[IMG]http://nutcracker123.com/nutcracker/images/ZZ_SEAN5.gif[/IMG]

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: How I build my arches

First year here. I'm trying out 3/4" PEX (sharkbite) tubing. I cut off some 8' pieces since 1 reel of strip LEDs is just over 16' long. I had no trouble pushing the silicone covered strip lights through the tube, however you can't pull them along as they seem to grip the inside of the tube. You have to push them through and they go easy. I'm going to power inject at each end of the two tube setup. I've tested the LEDs this way and have no trouble with them (30/meter 150 total WS2812 5050). I'm planning to use some fasteners like these:
    http://www.supplyhouse.com/Wirsbo-Up...lamp-Bag-of-50
    Some like this might have been better, we'll see:
    http://www.supplyhouse.com/Wirsbo-Up...lamp-Bag-of-50

I'm planning to attach them to wooden stakes set into the ground, hopefully they will hold up. If necessary, I'll support the backside at the peak of the arch with some thin emt if necessary to keep them from falling over. A 50' roll of PEX was $25 at home depot (is it okay to name stores???). I bought a quart of acetone, worked great for wiping the printing off the tubing.

We'll see how it works out.

EDIT: I forgot to add that I plan to have the ends between 5' and 6' apart. This is a bit wider than a semi-circle, but it's the shape I prefer. That means the ends are going to be at a small angle off of vertical.

Post Thanks / Like

I built mine last year out of 3/4" PEX. I placed 1/2" pic tee's at the bottom that connected 1/2" pvc to both sides across the bottom. I then cut short pieces of the pvc to use as a stake that went into the bottom of tee then the ground. This worked very well for me even with the ones right by the street.

Post Thanks / Like

I like the OP's method of supporting the arch in the middle. I may try something like that. I am disappointed with PEX in terms of how it filters the blue end of the spectrum. It really knocks the transmitted light down. Red and green do well though. White is more of a yellow than white.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I have a general question on arches. This is my first year making them and I have seen that most people use the pixel strips. Has anyone done them by pulling bullets into the flex tube?

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't seen that, but I'm sure it could be done. The spacing might be a little wide and would definitely show. Someone sells that ribbon with the 12mm holes that people often use for trees, but it's designed to be attached to the outside of an arch and tighten up the spacing.

I'm using PEX this year, but I'm switching to something a little more transparent next year, maybe polyethylene. PEX attenuates the blue too much for my taste. I may go to the outside the tube method with bullets too.

Post Thanks / Like

Boscoyo sells the coro arches that are used with the nodes. I am moving in that direction due to the flakiness of 2811 strips.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by afremont View Post
    I like the OP's method of supporting the arch in the middle. I may try something like that. I am disappointed with PEX in terms of how it filters the blue end of the spectrum. It really knocks the transmitted light down. Red and green do well though. White is more of a yellow than white.

Honestly, I didnt' notice that at all. Thought mine looked just fine. Used 1" sharkbite from Home Depot.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm using 3/4", maybe there is some difference in the plastic. I believe mine was marked as sharkbite too, but I wiped it off with acetone. I'm sure it will be okay at night, just not as bright as the red and green.

I'm going to try the sharkbite hangers by drilling the EMT and bolting the connectors to it. I'm going to extend the EMT past the arch a couple of inches and use right angle EMT connectors to secure it to short pieces of EMT driven into the ground.

Post Thanks / Like

I was going to order some strips, but the distributor I like to order from was out. They had some odd spacing bullets that we a little less than 3 inch spacing and I was thinking of maybe ordering a couple strings of those and trying it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast