Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Do You Recommend Winfield Collection?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Do You Recommend Winfield Collection?

I want that. The Merry Go Round. I like that.
    Plus, I'll probably need to upgrade to that motor sometime. Very nice.

Post Thanks / Like

I built the carousel a few years ago. Here are some videos:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61iH2a1w45k
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4HysZyMLUE
    (it's really not that loud - something must have been running in the background)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51NwpeV_yKg

I typically use wiper motors for these props.

Post Thanks / Like

I would love to build the carousel, but I am thinking that we get winds that are too high. (Not to mention the storage problems.) Has anyone had their carousel topple over, if so, was the winds high?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CJ6 View Post
    I would love to build the carousel, but I am thinking that we get winds that are too high. (Not to mention the storage problems.) Has anyone had their carousel topple over, if so, was the winds high?
    I have had some pretty strong sustained winds here. What I do is put 2 pieces of EMT in the ground during the set up and tie them into the "legs" of the base. Keeps it very sturdy.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DanoNJ View Post
    I have had some pretty strong sustained winds here. What I do is put 2 pieces of EMT in the ground during the set up and tie them into the "legs" of the base. Keeps it very sturdy.
    Thanks. If I can figure out storage (or how to hang from my garage ceiling), I'll try to build it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

The problem with that is the footprint, so in consideration of the need to get the thing up and running rather than having to make further alterations to fit another size motor. Unfortunately, those motors do not have thermal protection, so when they stall like that they burn out rather than cut off. What happened to it is extremely rare in our area, and it was compounded by the fact that it happened overnight. It was not SUPPOSED to sleet this far south, but the weather was not reading the book -- yet again!

When the season is over, I intend putting a windshield wiper motor and sprocket system on it.

Post Thanks / Like

I would like to build the carousel, but it's proportions bother me. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that the proportions on a carousel are usually at least square, but most of the time, they're wider than they are tall. Their carousel looks like it should be wider -- it seems to be quite narrow.

Also, another member built one, and decided to make the characters go up and down by attaching wheels to the end of the poles and running it through the floor to a second hidden base that had waves in it. He could get the wiper motor to work without it, but it didn't have quite enough power to run when the second base was on, so I would imagine that one would have to use a wheelchair motor instead.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234