Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Do You Recommend Winfield Collection?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Do You Recommend Winfield Collection?

I like the looks of the Winfield Collection Ferris Wheel & Carousel (from online pictures & videos). I have a small front yard. I think I can accommodate both features, but the wife will only allow me to build one (at the moment). I classify myself as a novice at building things. I have a few questions.

1) Do you recommend one or the other (ferris wheel or carousel)? I plan on buying the plan & small parts kit from Winfield.
    2) Are they hard to build?
    3) Is it expensive to build with the wood & supplies?
    4) I live in Colorado and we can get some strong winds. Would they survive 50mph gusts and snow buildup?

I appreciate any info you can offer. I have two young kids that I think would enjoy seeing something more than the standard store bought Christmas features.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Do You Recommend Winfield Collection?

I cannot speak to their motorized pieces, however I have used several of their other templates and they are top notch in my opinion. The big monster walk through mouth pictured below is one of their designs. I used a drill and simple jigsaw to cut everything out and assemble it. The tracing, cutting out, and assembly was the easy part for me, the detailed painting is the part that gets me so I dont choose anything that is too detailed. Their templates have all the painting lines as well though.

Post Thanks / Like

I have used a lot of their designs and find them very easy to build from. My only problem here "downunder" is having to make adjustments for the conversion from imperial to metric, Wish you guys up there would move into the new century LOL.
    Last year I did the ferris wheel and took me about 4 months to build but it was a great hit with kids and adults alike. I lit it with a strobe which gave it more effect.
    No snow or wind here but b----y hot.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for your inputs! I really appreciate them

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

grahami2006,

Does the ferris wheel it come apart to some degree for storage?

Post Thanks / Like

Unfortunately not without a lot of messing about with it. Undoing the numerous screws each year would, I believe, lead to holes becoming bigger over time.
    I guess I am lucky because I have a large shed where I keep all my cut outs.

Post Thanks / Like

That was a great question. Thanks & thanks for the answer

Post Thanks / Like

I built the carousel couple of years back now. The plans for that item were well worth the money. Project was a bit time consuming, but I started in February so made for a great winter project. I made mine so that it was somewhat collapsible since I store all my props in my basement. I have also ordered many other plans from them. I do have to say, I'm not a fan of their motors. Never had any good luck with them.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ed0nvu4U2IY
    Last edited by DanoNJ; 04-05-2016 at 07:58 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info! I'm going to order the plans soon. Did anyone get their motor and small parts kit from Winfield? Is the motor good? Is the small parts kit needed?

Last edited by CJ6; 06-15-2016 at 11:50 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I've had good success with their motors and small parts. The motors are a bit on the expensive side; but having all the parts, the parts fit the motor, etc. saves tons of finding the right size bolts, nuts, linkage.... I think I've used 4 of their motors; one crapped out on me, but I didn't weather-proof it very well, so I suspect that was the issue.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast