Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CG-1500 3" Fan Cover

Post Thanks / Like

Default CG-1500 3" Fan Cover

Before I go to far, I need to give credit to the following posts in inspiring me on designing my own ventilation for the CG-1500.

http://doityourselfchristmas.com/for...-house-outline

http://doityourselfchristmas.com/for...lation-project

As with everything I am designing including my snowflakes found here: http://doityourselfchristmas.com/for...-a-center-star I will be sharing this on thingiverse and thinkercad.

I'm not very good at working with metal but I wanted to be able to ventilate my CG-1500's as they will have 2 power supplies in each of them and living in So Cal it can get hot even in December. My idea is to have 2 3" fans, one as an inlet the other as an outlet to create a convention aspect. Here are the pictures of the working prototype. My question to you is this, what other aspects should I be taking in to consideration as a final design. Personally I think I need to add leavers for drainage but want to make sure I am covering all basis.

WP_20160328_19_15_45_Pro.jpg

WP_20160328_19_15_59_Pro.jpg

WP_20160328_19_18_15_Pro.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: CG-1500 3" Fan Cover

Ingress of stuff--dust, bugs, etc--that could end up causing your PSUs to heat up because their fans are then not able to move any air... Just a thought... Maybe put some really coarse /AC filter material on the incoming air...

Post Thanks / Like

That is a good point, I'm thinking weed paper might work.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm following this thread with interest. "Weed Paper"?
    Live, Laugh, Love.

Post Thanks / Like

It's better to have the fan suck the air out of the case rather than push it in and don't forget inlets for the air to enter.

Post Thanks / Like

That is the direction I am starting to lean towards. I'm going to update the design to accommodate a 120 MM fan (4 in) and see how it looks.

Post Thanks / Like

IF this "weed paper" is the stuff they put under flower beds, then I have a question.

How well does air actually pass through it? How much resistance will be developed for either the 3" or 4" fan to push through it?
    Live, Laugh, Love.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jspiker77 View Post
    That is the direction I am starting to lean towards. I'm going to update the design to accommodate a 120 MM fan (4 in) and see how it looks.
    Look more at the CFM of the fan rather than it's size. As long as you can change the air several times a minute you shouldn't need a huge fax. A 1500 case has less than 0.5 CF of interior, maybe only 0.25 CF, so a 60 CFM fan could change the air 120 times or more a minute which is more than enough to keep things cool. You also need to keep the pressure low since axial fans can handle much pressure.

Post Thanks / Like

You can also use fiberglass window screen glued on the inside of the case so the fresh-air holes are covered by it. It would keep the bugs out and be impervious to moisture and humidity, unlike other materials that could also be used.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you, I was not even considering the CFM aspect of the equation. I have way to much to learn.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast