Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: 2016 - Mega Tree With Public Remote Control

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: 2016 - Mega Tree With Public Remote Control

Star topper is up and running. Fired it up for the first time yesterday to test. It is made up of 270 pixels in 6 layers. I have it modeled in xLights to control each layer and point separately. One of the connectors is a delphi weather pack connector for power/ground. The other pigtail is for data/ground from controller.

Here are a few pics and a video:
    2017-05-06 15.23.45.jpg
    2017-05-06 15.23.48.jpg
    2017-05-06 15.23.58.jpg
    2017-05-06 16.02.17.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Also, new portable hole is curing. Had a free day to put it together a week ago:
    2017-04-28 13.30.35.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Finally found some time to finish up ASAP pole and new topper. Just in time for football season!

Out with the old, in with the new:
    2017-08-18 13.36.38.jpg

ASAP pole assembly:
    2017-08-18 13.51.38.jpg

ASAP pole with topper full up:
    2017-08-18 13.57.21.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

what kind of security are you implementing on your network? The biggest issue is going to be network security. Your setup is going to need an additional firewall. Adaptable firewall is what you will need because once you offer this service, hackers will exploit it. So you may want to have an adaptive firewall in place. It only takes someone to use packet sniffers such as WireShark to access the make up of your network and devices. Your proposition is not inexpensive since you are providing a public access service to your network. I do suggest if you wish to continue the project, stop now and secure your network first. Here is some search results for adaptive firewalls. https://www.google.com/search?q=adap...w=1024&bih=655

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by downsouth View Post
    what kind of security are you implementing on your network? The biggest issue is going to be network security. Your setup is going to need an additional firewall. Adaptable firewall is what you will need because once you offer this service, hackers will exploit it. So you may want to have an adaptive firewall in place. It only takes someone to use packet sniffers such as WireShark to access the make up of your network and devices. Your proposition is not inexpensive since you are providing a public access service to your network. I do suggest if you wish to continue the project, stop now and secure your network first. Here is some search results for adaptive firewalls. https://www.google.com/search?q=adap...w=1024&bih=655
    I don't think you understand my setup. This is all web based, no additional security required. I'm not giving anyone access to my network or any devices on it.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

web based I understand.

Did you install xlights on the website server?
    How do you get the information from the website to go to your controllers? does this not require the server where you have the website hosted to connect to your device that controls the light show? Far as I know controllers have to be on a network, Wired or WiFi.

So the big question is your website server located physically at the location of the light show? I am having a really hard time grasping how you are connecting controllers to a web based interface offering public access to the light show by song selection or any other command without nothing being secured.

Post Thanks / Like

It's actually quite simple. It doesn't matter where the web server is. The web service drops off a file (over a secure vpn connection) to the machine running xlights. I modified xlights to look for this file and then play the requested song. Simple, secure and effective.

Post Thanks / Like

Second year underway. Setup tree on Saturday just before first wind/snow event of the year. I'll post a daytime picture at some point of the setup. The ASAP pole setup went well and so much easier than my cob job last year. I did add guy wires since I had them on hand but I don't think they were needed. New star is up and running and ready to go for first night on Friday.

Tree freshly setup and fired up: (You may notice a little dark spot there on the right about half way up, I noticed it too. A couple of the pixels fell out of the straps.I clipped them back in and it's good to go)(
    tree.jpg

I added 3 new songs top the playlist this year for a total of 21. This is what the viewers will see on their phones. They just input the "magic code" and select the song. I was able to completely sequence the star for three of the songs this year. The star works for all of the songs but will just play random effects until I get around to sequencing the rest.
    playlist.jpg

The first sequence in the list is 12 Days Of Christmas from Straight No Chaser. This was my first full sequence created with xLights and I offer it to anyone that would like it: https://www.dropbox.com/s/25h4t3yr0s...sBill.zip?dl=0
    Here is what it looks like rendered:

Does anyone know of any Moana mega tree sequences? I was planning on creating one but ran out of time. Would live to get one in last minute.

Merry Christmas everyone!

9. Likes critic2 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Did you do a tutorial on this? What about incorporating into xScheduler?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Abandoned adding tutorial due to the changes that xLights scheduler went through this year. I am still using old version of built in xlights scheduler for my player since that is where my new code and functionality resides. I will be porting it over into new xScheduler sometime before next season but it won't take much since the new xSchedule pretty much does this on it's own.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast