Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: 2016 - Mega Tree With Public Remote Control

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: 2016 - Mega Tree With Public Remote Control

Wow!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Took advantage of some decent weather this weekend and setup mega tree base and foundation. The summer practice paid off, it was easy and I had it installed in less than 1/2 hour. It helped that the ground was nice and soft from a lot of rain we've been getting....the last time I did this it was during a drought and pounding rebar in 2 feet was a lot harder.
    2016-11-05 13.37.55.jpg

This is from the road, about 70' away from tree.
    2016-11-05 13.38.11.jpg
    Last edited by barlav; 11-07-2016 at 01:58 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Setup and ready! 68 and sunny today winter storm tomorrow. Wish me luck!
    2016-11-19 13.31.45.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by barlav View Post
    Setup and ready! 68 and sunny today winter storm tomorrow. Wish me luck!
    2016-11-19 13.31.45.jpg
    Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like

After first full week and all is well. It has been awesome and I've been getting a great response. Word is starting to spread about the "The lights you can control from your phone". So far I have 40 hours of run time and everything is holding up great. No pixel failures yet and tree is holding up to the elements quite well.

Tune to Sign:
    sign.jpg

Light em Up Sequence:

Post Thanks / Like

Wow thanks for the post, and updates. Looks great

Post Thanks / Like

First year is in the books. I couldn't be more pleased with the end result and awesome feedback I received throughout the holidays. The mega tree was my only non-static display item (other than virtual Santa in one of my windows) and I am looking forward to expanding my display a little each year. The internet control from cell phones was a great success and was used by many of the viewers that stopped by.

2016 Stats:
    Show Dates: 11/25->12/31 (5pm-10pm)
    Total Time Run: 185 hours
    Total Internet Requests: 238
    Total Pixel Failures: 0
    Total Structural Problems: 0
    Total Technical Issues: 0
    Other Info:
    Ran power supply/controller 24/7 for entire season
    Mega Tree got hit with a lot of severe weather (3 wind/snow storms,multiple downpours and windy days, temps ranged from -5 to 50 throughout season with wind chills as low as -20 at times). There were zero issues during the bad weather times which made me very happy. I was very nervous this being my first year and all but all the hardware, electronics and structure held up perfectly!! This was a great experience!

2017 Plan:
    1. Add 36" 6 channel star topper to mega tree and add star to all existing sequences
    2. Build and implement ASAP pole (along with new portable hole 2)
    3. New custom sequences

Post Thanks / Like

I want to run something next year that allows people to select songs from their phone! Are you planning on porting this over to FPP or release a how to / package or code for the version you ran this year? I'm added a mega tree next year and would love to have a site for people to control a song queue

Post Thanks / Like

Starting on 2017 additions. Going to add a 6 layer pixel star to the mega tree and build an ASAP pole. Also trying my hand at sequencing. I grabbed a used E682 at a good price to run the star. I was just going to run off the E682 I was using for the tree but since I got a good deal on a 2nd E682 and I was going to need another enclosure anyway for a second power supply I just decided to keep the first E682 dedicated to the tree for now and put the second power supply and E682 in a new enclosure. I will be able to use both of them for future expansion since they will run many more pixels than they are currently.

Gathered the hardware for the star and the asap pole and built the winch assembly.
    star.jpg

asap1.jpg

Here is my first minute of sequencing. My daughter introduced me to The Twelve Days Of Christmas by Straight No Chaser and my first thought is that this would be an awesome Mega Tree sequence. I created the following with xLights. When I am done with it I will share it with anyone that wants it. This is a work in progress and I'm continually changing it but it's going pretty smoothly so far and I found it's a good way to really learn sequencing with xLights.

Post Thanks / Like

Impressive!

11. Likes barlav liked this post
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast