Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: 2016 - Mega Tree With Public Remote Control

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: 2016 - Mega Tree With Public Remote Control

Started putting up the tree and getting familiar with the installation for the first time. The top of the tree is about 15 1/2 feet off the ground. The ring base is about 2 feet of the ground. The 1" conduit is 7 feet long and the 3/4" counduit is 10 feet long and overlapped by the 1" conduit by 2 feet. I have 5 bolts holding the poles together for the time being but I think I will be eventually adopting Walter's ASAP pole. Just simplifies everything!

The pixels are 3" apart vertically and about 6 1/2" apart at the base. The tree is a little skinnier than I was expecting but I think it will work the best for animations and text on my sequences. I can't wait to fire it up when I get the other strings added.

Question: Is it normal for the top pole to noticeably bend forward (See the picture below from the side)? I figure it is since all the weight and tension is on the front of the tree since it's only 180 degrees but was wondering if I should try to counteract it somehow? It doesn't make the structure of the lights look any different and is only noticeable when standing on the side.

The day I put the strings up was fairly windy and nothing moved on this tree. If you grab the 1" center pole and try to move it or shake it you can't. This thing is really sturdy and if any tree can survive a CNY winter hopefully it is this one.

Here are the latest pics:

10 out of 16 strings installed
    2016-08-02 07.32.11.jpg

2016-08-02 07.31.43.jpg

The Base:
    2016-08-02 07.31.59.jpg

"The Bend". Is this normal?
    2016-08-02 07.31.53.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

The only problem I had with running the strips like that was the vibration during winds where the strip would wobble. Easy fix with some paracord weaving in and out of the strips in 2 or 3 spots.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MindTrik View Post
    The only problem I had with running the strips like that was the vibration during winds where the strip would wobble. Easy fix with some paracord weaving in and out of the strips in 2 or 3 spots.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk
    Great tip, just ordered some black paracord! Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

As far as the forward bend, we had the same thing until we put a line from the back of the tree to the top header. This balanced the pull on the top and the tree straightened right up.
    Live, Laugh, Love.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by algerdes View Post
    As far as the forward bend, we had the same thing until we put a line from the back of the tree to the top header. This balanced the pull on the top and the tree straightened right up.
    Perfect, I have a 14' guy wire that I can hook to the topper and anchor from the back of the tree. I'll give that a shot. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Almost ready for first outside test. Hoping sometime this weekend to light it up for the first time all built.

I ended up using some zip tied together spare boscoyo strips to straighten out the top pole. It worked well and was an easy fix. I just need to finish the extra weatherproofing on four remaining strings and install them. I've been only doing a few at a time to get used to adding/removing strings so I know what to expect if/when I need to do it during holiday season.

12 out of 16 Strings installed. Everything seems sturdy and tight:
    2016-08-04 19.01.50.jpg

Pole is much straighter now with the back side strip anchor:
    2016-08-04 19.01.59.jpg

2016-08-04 19.02.07.jpg

Does anyone use boscoyo tree topper? I was unable to tighten it enough on the 3/4" conduit. I tried for a long time and even tried different bolts/washers/nuts. It never tightened enough around the pole. I eventually gave up and grabbed some hose clamps to keep it in place. It is still loose around the pole but it stays in place fine once the strips are attached to the hooks at the base. I was just curious if anyone else has had this issue?

I also painted the enclosure and mounted it to a piece of wood that will be bolted to a 3/4" piece of conduit behind the tree. I was originally going to just put it on the tree pole but ended up just using a separate pole which ended up being easy. I also put duct seal around the entire inside of the enclosure where the two sides meet. I am hoping that's enough to ensure no water gets in. I'm still playing with the idea of covering it somehow with a small fabricated umbrella or something. I also added a lock to it.
    2016-08-04 20.05.29.jpg

Next up, I will be weaving ropes in and out of the strips at a few spots to cut down on wind vibration and I need to make a network cable long enough to get this thing hooked up for the first time. I'll probably the tree up for a few weeks so I can demo it to friends/family before taking it down and allow them to test out the remote control using their smart phones. I have security camera out back too and was even thinking I would let forum folks try out the remote control. Won't be able to hear it but would be able to see it respond .

Post Thanks / Like

Mega tree project is officially complete. Thanks for following along. I hope this thread can provide useful information to someone as the other threads on the forum have helped me.

Some pics and videos to follow (They really don't do the Mega Tree justice. Looks so much better in person)

All strings up and tightened down
    2016-08-06 15.15.50.jpg

Electronics Enclosure mounted (In the winter I am going to pull up all the pigtails as high as they go and strap to the main pole to keep them as high off the ground as possible)
    2016-08-06 19.50.22.jpg

All On Full!
    2016-08-06 23.29.43.jpg

Text Example:
    2016-08-06 23.29.49.jpg
    Last edited by barlav; 08-08-2016 at 01:08 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Here are a couple of short videos along with the full remote control system demo. The videos were taken from about 45-50 feet away from the tree.

About a minute of "Light em Up"
    https://youtu.be/xi185cMZ2UE

Good Text Demo With "Star Wars Theme"
    https://youtu.be/ligGXPSxQKM

Short clip from "Imperial Death March"
    https://youtu.be/xNGWVH2G6QM

Remote Control Demo
    https://youtu.be/N_OQVURMkOA

9. Likes Setarcos, sonic777, Robo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Looks great... Thanks for all the all the build posts!
    Running (3) E682's (1) Falcon F16v3 (1) Falcon pi-cap (20) ESPixelSticks - 8000 Pixels - Vixen - Falcon Pi Player - [URL="http://www.facebook.com/GainesvilleXmasLights"]http://www.facebook.com/GainesvilleXmasLights[/URL]<br></br>[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Post Thanks / Like

Nice could you pm me with a little more info. I really like the interaction with the visitors. I would like to incorporate this in my show. Thanks for any help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast