Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 2016 - Mega Tree With Public Remote Control

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: 2016 - Mega Tree With Public Remote Control

Nice now we just need it for the Falcon Player since a lot of us us a RaspberryPI out in the yard to run the show.

2. Likes Spyder liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Couldn't you just host the website on the FPP and then script the sequence of songs so that they play in the order requested? Not sure it can be done, just throwing an idea out there.

Post Thanks / Like

Sure, I believe that would be doable for sure. Haven't done it before but it's possible to run a webserver on a RaspberryPI. Right now I was just using what I already had in place for other purposes. Also, I think it may even be possible to still host website wherever and dynamically update RaspberryPI programatically.

Post Thanks / Like

That is a good point, what you could do is still host it externally but you will still need to be running Apache or whatever on the PI that has a single "end point" page or service. This page could receive the command/post locally and process it. This way you are not exposing your IP address to the world, you could even run the web server on a non standard port to further disguise it. For example, externally hosted site receives the request from the viewer, it then connects to a secure web service or page on the PI that executes the script.

Post Thanks / Like

Some pics of progress. It's a good thing I still have 6 months to get this done since it has been challenging to find time! I have completed all the custom software that I will be using for the remote control so that's one thing that is done! I have finalized my plan for the tree structure and I have just about all materials needed to build it. The only thing I am still waiting for is pigtails from a holidaycoro pre-sale.

I have added fuses between the PS and E682 controller:
    2016-05-16 21.48.09.jpg

I have been testing the pixel strings one by one and adding some extra waterproofing with Silicone II. It doesn't look pretty but I imagine it will do the trick:
    2016-05-16 21.47.27.jpg

I have found it a lot easier to add the silicone II to the strings after they have been put in the strips. I also stretched the string out between two walls so I can just walk alone with my caulk gun (You can clearly see that this mega tree is keeping me from my other project/hobby of finishing my basement!!):
    2016-05-16 21.46.16.jpg

I will be installing a new exterior GFCI outlet along with an Ethernet surge protector for my outside lighting needs. The GFCI will pretty much have an entire 20 amp circuit available to it which should accommodate all my future exterior illumination needs ;)

The outlet and cover
    2016-05-16 21.50.36.jpg

The ethernet surge protector and I grabbed a water proof extension cord cover as well:
    2016-05-16 21.50.19.jpg
    Last edited by barlav; 05-17-2016 at 12:53 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

My final decision on tree structure will be:
    1) Base: Portable Hole II (http://www.magicchristmasnews.org/po...0hole%20ii.pdf) with 1" -> 3/4" EMT pole

2) Topper: Boscoyo Mega Tree Topper Kit: http://www.boscoyostudio.com/product...products_id=41 (I have added 16 hooks to the topper so I can just hook the strips to it and not have to worry about zip ties) I don't have a picture of this but I will add one soon)

3) Base Ring: 1/2 EMT Conduit raised off the ground by about 2 feet with 6 supporting rebar rods (Adopted this design from youngschristmas: http://youngschristmas.com/wp-conten...6023-Copy1.jpg). I have made one of the rebar supporting rods to prove that I could actually pull it off and it was pretty easy. Here is a pic (Note: I still need to chop of the sides of the tee so the EMT will fit through it easily. I am going to do that with my recip. saw):
    2016-05-16 21.49.30.jpg

Here are the materials for the base,pole,ring etc.. (The copper pole is the ground rod I will be installing adding for the ethernet surge protector and the plastic conduit is for the outside outlet):
    2016-05-16 21.45.22.jpg

2016-05-16 21.45.33.jpg

I will be creating a jig to bend the 10' piece of 1/2" EMT into a half circle and then I will be drilling holes in it to accept hooks with nuts for securing the pixel strings and providing an easy way to tighten them

A few more misc photos (I ordered 2 pig tails ahead of the pre-sale just so I could practice soldering them to the pixel strings):
    2016-05-16 21.47.53.jpg

2016-05-16 21.48.29.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Here are the pics of the boscoyo topper with the hooks I added:
    2016-05-18 07.16.32.jpg

2016-05-18 07.16.37.jpg

And a look into the bin of parts I still need to assemble
    2016-05-18 07.16.44.jpg

Got shipping confirmation for the pigtail pre-sale from holidaycoro so I will get wiring as soon as they arrive. Once everything is wired I'm going arrange all of the strings flat on the floor in the basement and give it a test run in the dark and see how it looks.

Post Thanks / Like

I would also be interested in this viewer interaction system finding it's way over to fpp. Great work, love it.

Post Thanks / Like

ty Spyder. As soon as I start running fpp for my display I will certainly bring over the viewer interaction system to it. I have looked into enough to know it is doable and will work well. At one point I came across a "jukebox" plugin available for fpp that had similar functionality to what I've done here for the xlights scheduler.

11. Likes Spyder liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have it on my todo list to implement something similar for FPP by leveraging some of the new features CaptainMurdoch has been working on in the upcoming FPP v2.0 scheduler. Thus far it is still in the design phase, but you can see what I have in mind here.
    Last edited by Setarcos; 05-20-2016 at 02:41 PM. Reason: FPP version reference

13. Likes Spyder liked this post
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast