Thread: Is one 350w 5vdc Power supply enough to run 16 p10 panels + BBB + Octoscroller?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Is one 350w 5vdc Power supply enough to run 16 p10 panels + BBB + Octoscroller?

My matrix consist of sixteen (16) P10 panels, BBB, Octoscroller, and I am trying to figure out how many power supplies would I need to power everything listed. I already own a few of the Meanwell SE-350-5 Power Supplies (5v DC), so I would like to work with the PS I already own.

I was already over at (*)FalconChristmas - wiki site reading about P10 Power consumption. From what I understand that was said, "A 400-watt 5V power supply will support the powering of BBB and 64 panels!
    ".
    So from that information, I would only need one SE-350-5vdc Power Supply to power everything (16=P10 panels + BBB + Octoscroller), is that correct?

Thanks for any info.

David

(*) http://falconchristmas.com/wiki/Falc...agleBone_Black
    Last edited by NkySpike65; 03-03-2016 at 12:05 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Is one 350w 5vdc Power supply enough to run 16 p10 panels + BBB + Octoscroller?

The vendor that I am going to get some panels from, says that one 350 watt power supply will power 50, so 400 watt PSUs powering 64 sounds about right.

You should be OK with just one.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Is one 350w 5vdc Power supply enough to run 16 p10 panels + BBB + Octoscroller?

The power these panels use is proportional to the brightness and refresh rate. The brightness is controllable via the sequence but the refresh rate is under the control of the software. Currently FPP has a lower refresh rate on the BBB because it always drives 64 panels of data even if you only have one configured. I will be doing some optimizations of this code this year t increase the refresh rate which will come with higher brightness and power usage. To compensate you will probably want to turn the brightness down in the sequencer. Several FPP users already do this.

The current BBB refresh rate is what what makes it hard to video these displays and users see black bars across their matrix on video when it looks fine to the eye. I think that we can get rid of that by optimizing the code so that is runs at a faster refresh rate when the number of panels is lower.
    Unless you are only scrolling text at a lower brightness then I would plan on 2A of power per panel to be safe. We had some users this year who went with one supply for a larger display and are planning on adding a second power supply to their matrix this year. If you use video or pictures which have more pixels on at a time then power draw will be higher.

4. Likes NkySpike65 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

just an update to this thread from my new display and wanted to confirm I'm ok. I have 54 P10 panels (6 wide by 9 high) and am using 1 5v/300w/60A p/s to run all of them and the BBB/Octoscroller. I put the panels on all white and did a power draw test and i was pulling about 18 amps max on everything i tried so i should be fine with the one p/s i guess.

I may still run 2 just to be safe but i don't think 2 is "needed" just helps i guess to relieve stress off having just 1