Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Is possible to load video file to Vixen3?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Is possible to load video file to Vixen3?

what i was trying to do is us the pc or laptop that has a hdmi port to project a video or a image to a wall or front of a house.
    was trying to see if i could make a set in
    vixen configuration set display
    add a system hdmi under thr controlers and make it with 1 or more elements to be able to then be able to build a show to go along with the music and lights.
    i know you can use a Raspberry pi and the
    HDMI port out of it to do this.
    I was trying to avoid that, If the PC has an
    HDMI output why can't we utilise that under controllers.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

and try to do somthing along the lines of a simple house mapping idea.

Post Thanks / Like

can i use this STARTECH.COM SLIM USB 3.0 TO VGA EXTERNAL VIDEO MONITOR ADAPTER USB32VGAES

and set it up under the generic serial controllers.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaDreamer View Post
    I didn't know that FPP could do that. Really neat. How do you tell FFP where to play the video?
    There is only one place it can come out of the pi. The HDMI port.
    On the Pi 4 where there's two HDMI ports, only the first one is supported.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mr fix View Post
    can i use this STARTECH.COM SLIM USB 3.0 TO VGA EXTERNAL VIDEO MONITOR ADAPTER USB32VGAES

and set it up under the generic serial controllers.

No that won't do it. I don't think you have a fundamental understanding on the underlying concepts. Think of it like pulling up your gasoline automobile to a diesel pump. That diesel nozzle won't fit into your filler port on the car. It's too big. Even if you can get that diesel into the car by putting a funnel between the nozzle and the car, the car isn't going to run on diesel.

Vixen generates lighting data. That means that it uses the effects and calculates values for each individual set of channels for each light/pixel. It then outputs the data using standard (or pseudo-standard) lighting protocols like renard, sACN, DMX, Generic Serial. These formats are all different ways to encapsulate streams of 8 bit channel data. Vixen creates lighting streams. It doesn't create video streams. There's no established method of simply converting lighting streams into video streams. There's no way to automagically determine the size and arrangement in order to transform it into a video stream. That's why when you create a matrix type prop in Vixen, you need to define it's parameters such as the number of rows and columns. And then you need to patch those rows and columns to output channels.

The next issue is that video outputs require a vastly higher number of pixels than a typical light show uses. Vixen can handle a light show with 100,000 pixels. But a 1080p video is 2,073,600 pixels. The methods used in lighting software are not designed for video, and are not efficient enough to use for the pixel counts required for video displays. In order for a sequencer to work with video outputs, we need to create effects in a very different way than we need to do for strings of lights.

This is exactly what we're working on with the internal development project we're working on. Unlike strings of lights where pixels are never right next to each other, and often aren't in a regular grid, video displays are always regular continuous grids of pixels. This allows us to use much more efficient methods for drawing effects and pushing those frames thru the system and out to the display. Full frame output via HDMI isn't really a primary goal of our project, but following all of the major underlying work, this should be something that is feasible to add on. Lastly, I want to set your expectations appropriately, this is not a short term project. There's a good chance it won't be ready to use this year.

By the way: the virtual matrix options with the pi still have the same pixel count issues. Because of that, they are usually not done with full resolution matrices in the sequencer. They're usually done with a significantly reduced size matrices in the sequencer and then let the Pi or the projector itself to scale it to the full frame of the video window.
    Last edited by jchuchla; 01-20-2021 at 02:09 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123