Page 3 of 38 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Project 180 x 10 ft Mega Tree

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Project 180 x 10 ft Mega Tree

I'm just trying to save myself time from you coming over to use my woodshop as well.

Louie

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

the 2' radius is a little smaller than i would need. I was looking at the EMT benders, and then i would have to make several small bends along the pipe, using the seam as a guide.
    http://www.vixenlights.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/Vixen3-Logo-435x165White-300x107.png

Post Thanks / Like

Ben, I thought about that route too and others have done it I'm sure, but it won't be as smooth (which is something that probably doesn't bother most folks but does butt heads with my AR)

Louie

Post Thanks / Like

You may want to check with your local muffler shop. The shop we have here bent my emt in a circle for me. I just had to weld the ends.

Just a thought.
    " Hot glue is your friend "

Post Thanks / Like

How much did you pay them? That sounds like a cool option.

Louie

Post Thanks / Like

I'll check into muffler shops Friday. Thanks for the suggestion.

The hoop bender can be found here: http://www.buildmyowngreenhouse.com/HoopBenders.aspx

Post Thanks / Like

I went to Midas today. He said they can do the bending on the 3/4 in. conduit at 48 in. circumference, Sat morning. I forgot to ask how much. I'll update Sat.

Post Thanks / Like

It was a 12ft diameter circle from 1" emt,they charged me $20.00.

I think it helps to tell them its for a Christmas Light display.
    " Hot glue is your friend "

Post Thanks / Like

I have a solution for bending EMT to nice smooth uniform larger radius’s. A number of years ago I made 6’ & 3’ dia rings for my incan spiral mega tree frame (1/2” EMT). It’s basically a large conduit bender. I cut a piece of 5/8” (or Ύ”) sheet material (could be OSB, plywood, particle board) 16” x 16” (for the 18” radius) & 29” x 29” (for the 36” radius). Draw a radius from one corner and cut the material to make a ‘1/4 circle segment. Securely attach the radius template to your work bench or other secure flat surface by clamping or screwing it down. Take a small block of wood (say a 1x2 – 4”), attach that block to the flat surface at either corner where the arch starts with a gap just wide enough for the EMT. Drop the end of the EMT in the slot and pull the EMT to the arch template. You can feed the EMT through the slot and bend a full circle. When the end you are pulling on gets short, just flip the ring over in the template so you have more of the conduct to pull on.
    The template radius is about 15% less than the radius you need because the EMT has a little spring back. The 15% formula should allow you to calculate any radius you want to make. About 6” of the ends of the EMT don’t bend quite as much as the middle of the EMT pole. Bend the ring first, then cut the ends to make the exact circumference you need. I just cut the 6” ends offs in my calculation for the ring size. The 3’ dia ring is about the maximum you can get out of a 10’ piece of conduit. A small piece of wood dowel polyurethane glued at the spice secures the ring together. My 6’ ring is just two have circles. I made a splice connector from a piece of Ό” x 5/8” aluminum bar stock (files to fit) that I bent to the same curve and fastened with a bolt & nut. The splice allows me to take it apart for storage. There is a little bit of trial and error…. Once the radius is fully bent on the template you can make final adjustments by hand to get the ends to match up perfectly. Just be sure the conduit stays flat on you bench or the ring my not lay flat. At less than $3 for a piece of conduit you can afford to experiment.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for showing all this. I like the design! Will keep everything lined up just right

Page 3 of 38 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast