Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anti-Virus software preference

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Anti-Virus software preference

I've been using BitDefender for the last 4 years without issue, does not seem to bother Vixen3.
    Cheers!
    Steve

Learn 1 new thing everyday.

"AURBO" -- Aurora Borealis

My weather today

Chat link | Christmas Wiki link

Post Thanks / Like

First, you need to know the difference between all that has been suggested. Lots of antivirus programs have been suggested. Lots of malware programs have been suggested. Lots of security suites have been suggested. There is a huge difference between them all. Malware programs do not protect against viruses. Security suites usually have antivirus built in.

None are bad, as long as you have something. Very, very true statement.

What you need to decide is how much protection you think you need and what are you willing to pay for.

If you only do some general surfing and know how to keep yourself out of trouble, then avast and Windows defender are all you need. If you surf a lot and download a lot, then I would suggest a security suite like Microsoft essentials. I cannot recommend Norton or mcafee. They are resource hogs and I have had nothing but bad luck from them.

3. Likes mrGrumpy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I've tried AVG and Avast and they were all good for a while and then something changes in them that makes them slow down your system or nag the hell out of you. On my windows 7 machines I run Essentials and scan with Malwarebytes and CCleaner. I hate Norton and Mcafee, they slow your system down so much you may as well be infected. Also Norton is a PITA to uninstall.
    Was going to try Vipre as I heard it was pretty good. I find a lot of useful info on Bleepingcomputer.com

Post Thanks / Like

It may sound funny, but I use the free version of "Superantispyware" and Malwarebytes. Between the two,
    i haven't had any problems.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12