Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bullet Pixel Burn In

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Bullet Pixel Burn In

I asked the same question about burn in this past year, as it was my first run with pixels. After researching all the forums and responses, I did roughly a weeks worth of burn in. In that time I had about 4 failures. After splicing in the new pixels it was about a week from setup so I ran them off an on for that last week doing final tests. Once they were in the yard all worked flawlessly for the entire month of December. Zero failures. I'm in GA and we had some serious rain during this time as well, but all worked great.

I do believe some of my failures were due to me being a noob and hot swapping pixels strings. I think I may have killed a couple by doing that.
    Will C.

Post Thanks / Like

No burn in here. Tested everything for a few minutes and put up. No failures on 5400 dumb rgb, two failures out of approximately 4,000 bullet and square nodes. Several hundred feet of strip had 4 failures. Seems too time consuming to me to burn in that many lights with so few failures. I will do next year on the stuff I need to put up with the bucket lift that's not easy to repair. Other stuff is quick repairs if and when it does fail.

Post Thanks / Like

Old thread... But, I've had some WS2811 bullet pixels go out on me just doing some testing (didnt even make it to show open).

However, can someone tell me how these pixels work. I have about 8 out on the end of 1 string. But, I assume if i just replace the first one, the rest will still work? THey al wnet solid white and stopped responding to data just before they failed.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
    -Matt

Post Thanks / Like

The data is passed from one pixel to the next. Each pixel receives the data stream takes off the bits it needs and sends the rest on. So the data stopping could be three things: 1) the sending pixel (the last one the lights) isn't sending the data, 2) the receiving pixel (the first one that doesn't light) could be not hearing what was sent, or 3) the electrical connection between the two could be broken. I've had all three be the cause of pixel failure. For minimum splicing and maximum fix rate, replace both the last lit and first unlit pixel, but only after checking that the controller is sending enough data.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you!

Post Thanks / Like

There seems to be on and off discussion about burning in pixels. Sometimes it is mentioned that they failed because they were not burnt in.

Do the strings need spread out, or are you burning them in still bunched together. Sounds like 24 hours on full white, then 24 hours on changing color pattern and then add some fading.

Once this is done, replace and dead pixels and they are good to go? Does this sound correct? Required?
    http://www.vixenlights.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/Vixen3-Logo-435x165White-300x107.png

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ben&bobbi View Post
    There seems to be on and off discussion about burning in pixels. Sometimes it is mentioned that they failed because they were not burnt in.

Do the strings need spread out, or are you burning them in still bunched together. ?
    They do not fail "because" they were not burned in. They fail because of manufacturing defects and low quality-control. The burn-in process helps you find the ones that are likely to fail after being stressed a bit. The idea is that its much easier to do the burn-in process indoors and fix the weaker/questionable pixels in advance before you string them all outside in high and difficult to reach places.

I would definitely spread them out for a longer burn-in test. Quick functional test (do they light up?) while bundled is fine, but longer burn-in test should be un-bundled because they will get very hot in a bundle and could create a fire hazard (especially if they are 12v pixels)

Post Thanks / Like

They do indeed get very "warm" when they are bundled during testing. We have a tile covered table where we do quite a few (still bundled) at one time.

FYI - I used to not test. For the first several years we put them on props, and took our chances. Had very few failures.
    Recently (last couple of years) the number of drop outs from brand new strings has grown. Now we test every string for a couple of days. It has paid off.
    We have had many failures this year in the field, but they were almost all on older strings (usually square pixels on megatree strips). Not one of the new strings had a problem, after they went through the testing cycle.
    Live, Laugh, Love.

Post Thanks / Like

Some background.

Electronic equipment failure rate follows a "bathtub shaped curve".
    A lot of new equipment fails very soon after you put power to it. This is the "infant mortality rate".
    If the equipment makes it past infant mortality, it will usually last a long time.
    When particular parts of a type of equipment to wear out, they tend to wear out about the same time. The equipment has reached its "end of life".
    Here is a picture from an article on the web
    ht21_1.gif

The burn-in routine is intended to expose defects in manufacturing and cut off the front of the bathtub curve. Burn-in takes time, effort, and money. If the parts are easy to replace after they are installed, burn-in may not be worth the effort. If it is difficult to replace parts after they are installed, then burn-in may be worth the effort. Or not. Depends. Burn-in is always done in life-critical situations.

Pixels are more than just electronics. They have wires connecting them. They get flexed. They have a water resistant seal. They get rained on. They get heated (expanded) and get frozen (contracted) by the weather. They get lonely and cry at night when nobody's watching (they don't do it when anybody is watching or recording so most people are unaware).

Sometimes it is mentioned that they failed because they were not burnt in.
    No. The pixels would fail whether they were burned in or not. Not because they were not burned in.

Do the strings need spread out, or are you burning them in still bunched together. Sounds like 24 hours on full white, then 24 hours on changing color pattern and then add some fading.
    There is no official method of burning in. Different people have their own methods. I would stretch them out. That may uncover defects where the wire is joined to the pixel.
    After burn-in, be sure to do a visual test.

Once this is done, replace and dead pixels and they are good to go?
    Yes.

Post Thanks / Like

I didnt burn in... and wish i had. I went ahead and just put them up. I had about 6 strings out of about 30 have issues. But, all of them in the first 3 days of running my show. On another suggestion, I replaced BOTH the last lit bulb and the first one out on each repair, and never had another issue the rest of the season. But, had I dont the testing before putting them up it would've saved me a LOT of headache.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast