Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Problems with squirrels

Post Thanks / Like

Default Problems with squirrels

Anyone else have any problems with squirrels when hanging lights on trees? I have two trees in the front yard that I wrap lights around. One tree was fine. The other not so much. One of the strings of lights was cut completely through. When taking them down the other day I noticed that while the other strings were working, the little critters tore off multiple lights on the other strands.

I live in a rural neighborhood but shooting them in the front yard is not a solution to the problem (backyard would be a different story)

Any suggestions?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Problems with squirrels

Pellet gun. Quiet and solves the problem.

Another solution is cayenne pepper oil or powder. Apply it to the lights when you put it up (use gloves or you will be sorry). Enjoy the show

I mix the ground powder in bird seed we put in the feeders. Birds are not affected by the powder (don't know about the oil) but squirrels are most definitely affected by it and get a serious snoot full if they get into the feeders. Its a good non-lethal deterrent to squirrels, chipmunks, etc.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the suggestion. I am planning on adding more lights to the trees next year but I can't afford to be replacing lights all the time.

Post Thanks / Like

Each year I put out four ultrasonic rodent repellers in the center of my lawn facing N, S, E W. I did this not so much because of squirrels, but field mice that like to squeeze themselves through wire ports of controller boxes and nest inside. Controllers are probably slightly warmer than the ambient air and nesting inside blocks the wind.

I did this as a preemptive measure and not sure if my not having field mice problems is because of that, or, coincidence.

Post Thanks / Like

I had rabbits chew through 2 strings on the fence in two places on each string. Ugh

Post Thanks / Like

I wish shooting them was an option but I have neighbors that probably wouldn't like me pointing a gun (or pellet gun) at their homes. Plus my aim is pretty terrible. Pepper oil or poweder or rodent repellers will probably be the way I go.

Post Thanks / Like

I had squirrels chewing up my halloween decorations, pellet gun and a few weekends later my squirrel problem was under control

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by didjareally View Post
    I had squirrels chewing up my halloween decorations, pellet gun and a few weekends later my squirrel problem was under control
    Yep. I got a pump type pellet gun so I can choose whether its lethal or just stings. 1 pump says I don't like you there. 2 pumps says I really mean it. 3 pumps and its lights out for squirrels/chipmunks. 4 pumps with a head shot takes out a 'coon or possum.

I prefer a non-lethal solution when possible. I enjoy seeing the birds, squirrels and chipmunks playing and doing what they do. Until they get into my things or places they don't need to be. Then I warn them as much as possible prior to taking them completely out. Thats why I suggested the cayenne pepper. It works for a while, but eventually they get used to it and ignore it. For lights, it should work for quite a long time since there is no real food involved and the OP simply doesn't want rodents chewing on wires. With no food involved, there is no nutritional value to warrant putting up with the pain and I suspect the animals will learn quickly. With bird seed, about 6mo is about how long it will deter a squirrel before he gets used to it and eats the bird feed anyway which is why I got the specific pellet gun instead of getting a CO2 type that you can't adjust the power and thus the lethality. When they start getting used to the pepper, I introduce an additional pain element (1 pump) which initially comes as a real big surprise. That too they get used to and begin to ignore me. Then comes pump 2. It hurts a lot I suspect but doesn't penetrate the body at any reasonable distance. Most of the time the squirrel will get the message and leave the bird feed alone and eat the dried corn I put on the ground specifically for them. But there are stubborn ones. Those get 3 pumps and a head shot which is instant lights out. But, again, thats only after every attempt has been made at explaining he isn't where he should be and is eating food that isn't his. Lethal force is a last option, not the first.

And you might deduce from my avatar image, I don't have aiming issues. Neither do 3 of my granddaughters, two of which live with us. I can hit an index card sized steel target from 1/3 of a mile away 5 out of 5 shots in less than 20 seconds (and I have video). I am IDPA marksman rated. I scored a perfect 100 score in a recent 600yd sniper match with 9 out of 10 X's (X ring was 3" diameter). I have both my 25 out of 25 and 50 out of 50 Skeet patches. My 15, 11 and 9yr old granddaughters can hit match heads from 25yd with a 22. The 9yr old can hit 8 and 9 rings with a 17hmr at 300yd (which is the operational limit of that caliber). My 14y (now 15) granddaughter shot an entire IDPA match with nothing but head shots. Just because she could.

First day at the range, she was 9yr at the time. A natural:

Serena (at 9yr) 70yd group with a 22lr

Miya (at 7yr) 25yd group with her 17hmr (gray disk is 1.5" diameter)

Van (at 14yr) with my Barrett punching paper at 400yd

This is one of my 5 round groups from 100yd using a 223

A squirrel from a dozen yards or less, well, thats not even a challenge for any of us. I actually prefer to scare them off some distance and try to get them on the run along a fence line, to at least make it a little more challenging for us and even then, its really not a fair fight.

Post Thanks / Like

I had the same issue. 36 sets in total and I repaired 32 of them. I used vapor rub mixed with pepper. They left em alone after that

blinky flashy. I love this stuff
    This is the year for my Mom.She passed away Feb 12 2012 and this year is dedicated to her and her memory.I will finally have it all finished and set to music all for her as I promised.Heres to you Mom (Dec 10,1944 - Feb 12,2012.I love you...

Now on the web [URL="http://kraftchekchristmaslights.webs.com/"]http://kraftchekchristmaslights.webs.com/[/URL]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Warlock View Post
    I had the same issue. 36 sets in total and I repaired 32 of them. I used vapor rub mixed with pepper. They left em alone after that

blinky flashy. I love this stuff
    Ug! That would make ME stay away from them too! My brain hurts just trying to fathom that smell.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast