Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Anyone using multiple projectors?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Anyone using multiple projectors?

Quote Originally Posted by scootchu View Post
    Here's something that will get you going. See the commercial and then click below to see an overview of how it was done. Incredibly creative and cool.
    http://projection-mapping.org/making-hiscox/
    I keep asking my friend who works for Christie to make a couple projectors fall off a truck for me.

That site has some software I'm looking at. A couple will let you do the projection mapping, then export the individual projector files so that you don't have to use your PC to run the show. I'm not very fond of some of their monthly subscription fee license model tho.

Post Thanks / Like

I understand the rasp pi part of it and separating the video into 2 half's and play with pi. here is my issue since im doing mapping i usually use a pc with premiere and im good at it. Ive been able to do some higher level tricks like turn into bricks and crumble them down to ground . im also working on some stuff like this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0d68xwmZRkI But i cant figure out since im not using a computer to set up my mask is how to get started. Last year i set up my computer in my yard and masked out my whole house with ms paint and Photoshop. Than i took into premeire and after effect and went crazy. How the heck do you get the mask right when i cant put live video to pi with 2560x1080 if the size isnt correct on the mask it usually dont work correctly. dont think my computer will even do that weird size . Anyone have and ideas or should i set computer to 1280x1080 and resize mask to 2560x1080 . not sure if that will work and its too cold to actually test.
    boarder3

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by boarder3 View Post
    How the heck do you get the mask right when i cant put live video to pi with 2560x1080 if the size isnt correct on the mask it usually dont work correctly. dont think my computer will even do that weird size . Anyone have and ideas or should i set computer to 1280x1080 and resize mask to 2560x1080 . not sure if that will work and its too cold to actually test.
    When I put my projectors into position, I had two inputs connected to them. One HDMI-HDMI cable in Input 1 for the Media Players and then one HDMI-Display Port in Input 2 for my laptop to set up the maps and set the PC resolution to match the media player. Having two cables let me be sure I didn't have to touch the actual projectors between sketching out the maps and running the show. I sketched out each half using the "half-screen" (1920x1080) resolution and then joined both image masks together in PhotoShop to use in Premiere. Once I built the files, I pushed them to the media players and just switched the input on the projectors, leaving the Display Port cable attached, again, just so I didn't disturb the projector at all.
    Last edited by danolgb; 01-06-2016 at 05:20 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

im a little confused here now. First thing whats the size of display that the falcon using rasp pi2 displays. Is it 19201200? if thats the case i should double the 1920 and mask each projector. What i dont get is how your explaining how to mask 2 projectors that are separate from each other. if i was to use a laptop and hook up 2 projectors to it they would have to have the display set at 3840 x 1200 which i dont think it would do. could you please explain further how you did it. I know how to do it with if i was setting up show through a desktop but now that im using falcon with rasp pi2 its a bit tricky till i learn its capabilities.

Quote Originally Posted by danolgb View Post
    When I put my projectors into position, I had two inputs connected to them. One HDMI-HDMI cable in Input 1 for the Media Players and then one HDMI-Display Port in Input 2 for my laptop to set up the maps and set the PC resolution to match the media player. Having two cables let me be sure I didn't have to touch the actual projectors between sketching out the maps and running the show. I sketched out each half using the "half-screen" (1920x1080) resolution and then joined both image masks together in PhotoShop to use in Premiere. Once I built the files, I pushed them to the media players and just switched the input on the projectors, leaving the Display Port cable attached, again, just so I didn't disturb the projector at all.
    boarder3

Post Thanks / Like

im a little confused here now. First thing whats the size of display that the falcon using rasp pi2 displays. Is it 19201200?.
    Sorry, I got you confused. I used BrightSign media players and projectors for my show which handle full HD. So, yes, my combined video is 3840x1080. The process should be the same, just scaled to resolution you can use. When I sketched out the masks, I did so on each projector individually. So each mask was built as 1920x1080. I then took those masks and joined them side-by-side to create the 3840x1080 mask from which I built my video.

Post Thanks / Like

Well I will be following along with this as I have another GT760 projector coming. My house has a bunch of bushes, so it should be interesting.

Post Thanks / Like

Projector Resolution question I keep reading that you want the same Resolution as your background layer drawing, as the project you are creating... My current projector has an SVGA NATIVE resolution of 800x600 but supports many other resolutions: Should I be sticking with the native resolution, or can I go higherfor my project? Trying to educate myself and this is not in my current mindset...just yet. Thanks
    VGA(640 x 480) to UXGA(1600 x 1200)
    31K~102KHz
    23~120Hz
    HDTV Compatibility: 480i, 480p, 576i, 576p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p
    Video Compatibility: NTSC, PAL, SECAM
    3D Compatibility:
    1) PC:120Hz Frame Sequential 3D for resolutions up to WXGA
    2) PC: 60Hz Top-bottom 3D for resolutions up to SXGA+
    3) Video: 60Hz Frame Sequential 3D for resolutions up to 480i

8. Likes Xenia liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

...Ive been able to do some higher level tricks like turn into bricks and crumble them down to ground . im also working on some stuff like this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0d68xwmZRkI
    Wow! This looks amazing! Thanks for sharing!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by thevikester View Post
    Projector Resolution question I keep reading that you want the same Resolution as your background layer drawing, as the project you are creating... My current projector has an SVGA NATIVE resolution of 800x600 but supports many other resolutions: Should I be sticking with the native resolution, or can I go higherfor my project? Trying to educate myself and this is not in my current mindset...just yet. Thanks
    VGA(640 x 480) to UXGA(1600 x 1200)
    31K~102KHz
    23~120Hz
    HDTV Compatibility: 480i, 480p, 576i, 576p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p
    Video Compatibility: NTSC, PAL, SECAM
    3D Compatibility:
    1) PC:120Hz Frame Sequential 3D for resolutions up to WXGA
    2) PC: 60Hz Top-bottom 3D for resolutions up to SXGA+
    3) Video: 60Hz Frame Sequential 3D for resolutions up to 480i
    While projectors can often accept much higher resolutions than they display you are now dependent on their quality when downscaling the image. Often times it can appear muddy or fuzzy. If your input doesn't match the exact same dimensions as the output (I.e. Your input is 16:9 but your output is 4:3) then you'll actually be losing some of your display real estate since it will have black bars on the top and bottom or the sides.

If you are using media or a presentation already created then you're just going to have to live with it.

However, if you're creating new content and know the resolution of your output it's best to design for it.

If you're cutting together videos in a video program like Premiere, iMovie or such then I'd set your output to match your projector, 800x600 in this case. That will give you the best look. It will also cut down on your video file size.

11. Thanks thevikester thanked for this post
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123