Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Alternative to Ray Wu?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Alternative to Ray Wu?

I use Holidaycoro (Texas) if I'm in a hurry. But If I have time I use Ebay, click on "free shipping"

Holidaycoro, 30/10 strips $26.95 +shipping. 1 week
    Ebay 30/10 strips $18.90 Free shipping. 3 weeks or more
    Last edited by stallionent; 12-30-2015 at 10:35 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I would hope that people are intelligent enough to realize that the stateside vendors like DIYLedExpress, HolidayCoro, and others have to charge us more as most all of them have made trips to China to inspect the product as well as demand (and I mean this in a polite and respectful way) that the product they are going to sell meets certain standards for construction and quality. Therefore their product is going to be better quality (generally) than what Ray has made on a production floor where they just use what they have on hand to build. We would also expect that our suppliers here in the states want to be able to eat just like any of us and have to make some profit while staying competitive with everybody else who wants to sell. The stateside suppliers also have to allow for shipping and custom fees that they incur so that too is going to influence what we pay here. Pretty tough for any of us to shell out many thousands of dollars on a shipping container of lighting supplies that we might end up sitting on 1/2 of it for most of the year till we sell some power supplies or connectors that don't fly off the shelf everyday!
    Now that said, I have ordered quite a few things from Ray without any problems at all so far. As stated by tucsonlights, respect when dealing with any of the Chinese manufacturers or representatives will get you much better results. There culture is based on it and I always use please, thank you, respectfully yours, and just polite terms when dealing with Ray or any others. You also have to be very specific on what you want in the product. Specs are very important and the Chinese will do as you want as long as you are very clear on the points that you want.
    Another Chinese supplier who is relatively new but seems to be gaining popularity is Paul Zhang. He is an alternative source to Ray if you like and has been beating Ray's prices on a lot of items lately so worth at least looking at his supplies and what he can get for you. I'm sure that there will be more suppliers popping up as the demand increases for pixels, controllers, and supplies in the next few years.

Post Thanks / Like

My personal favorite is http://scottled.en.alibaba.com/ I've bought all my led strings and strips, and power supplies from them and have not had any issues with orders, delivery, or failures.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

4. Thanks critic2 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by slugg View Post
    Searching through older threads, this answer always comes up. The elephant in the room is that DIYLEDExpress is almost double the price of the Chinese vendors. And I'm willing to bet they just get their items from China. Nobody wants to spend double on a bulk order. Hate to say it, but we all know this is true.
    I wanted to test this to be sure, so I picked a few items at random and here is what I came up with:

Ray Wu
    20 WS2811 12v 50pcs pixel string - $14.00 Total $280.00
    2 12v 350W Power Supplies - $19.00 Total $38.00
    20 3 Wire Connectors - Total $12.00
    Shipping - $101.47
    Grand Total - $431.47

DIY LED Express
    20 WS2811 12v 50pcs pixel string - $15.65 Total $313.00
    20 3 Wire Connectors - $1.06 Total $21.20
    Shipping to Tampa - ~$22.00
    Grand Total - $394.20

The price from Ray does not take the following into consideration:
    Possible duties imposed by US Customs (I've typically had to pay 3.5% of the commercial invoice plus a handling fee)
    Possible international transaction fee charged by your credit card or FI (1%-1.5%) OR Possible PayPal fees of 3%

Post Thanks / Like

Besides the already mentioned vendors, there is one guy who is trying to get into the business.

Site: http://pixelsequencing.mysimplestore.com/products

I've placed a pre-sale order for P10 panels and I've heard others have placed orders and already received them. He seems very willing to do what it takes to take care of the customer. If interested email him.

James

Post Thanks / Like

Roger is a good guy and a friend of mine, lives about 13 mi from me so shipping for me is great, LOL. I just go over and visit. I've only bought 12v nodes from Roger, so far, but they are all working great.
    Jim Nealand
    Kennesaw, Ga

8. Thanks beeiilll thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jnealand View Post
    Roger is a good guy and a friend of mine, lives about 13 mi from me so shipping for me is great, LOL. I just go over and visit. I've only bought 12v nodes from Roger, so far, but they are all working great.
    Jim, thanks for introducing him to us. He seems like a nice guy.

James

Post Thanks / Like

I just placed an order with pixelsequencing.com. I placed it yesterday and it was already shipped today. I ordered 4 p10 panels...after testing I will report feedback. So far so good though.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by slugg View Post
    Searching through older threads, this answer always comes up. The elephant in the room is that DIYLEDExpress is almost double the price of the Chinese vendors. And I'm willing to bet they just get their items from China. Nobody wants to spend double on a bulk order. Hate to say it, but we all know this is true.
    You know it's true but you've only read it in threads and not actually ordered anything from both? I can tell you, I've ordered from both of those vendors as well as others and can say from experience that DIYLEDEXpress is only a tad more expensive than Ray Wu, even less so during Pre-sales, nowhere near double the price. The biggest difference comes from service. Ray is only available during the early morning hours (for the west coast especially) and only communicates via email. His english (as it's not his first language so no knock there, my chinese is pitiful) is a bit difficult and there can and have been misunderstandings. On the other hand, Todd has gotten on the phone with me to answer questions regarding his products and made recommendations based on use case. Personally, I'm big on service, if all I am worried about is price than I would exclusively use Ray Wu or other Chinese vendors and take my chances on product quality and service. There are items that I still use Ray Wu for, but for the most part, I value the ability to talk with and get good service from vendors in the US. All pixel products are produced in China, it's the economy of scale and it is not cost effective to produce products such as these in the US. Even GE commercial lighting products are produced in China, there's no way around it.

I think that we all have favored vendors but for the most part I believe that US based vendors offer a better value (when price and service are taken into account) for our hobby than direct purchase from China. I'm not saying that DIYLEDEXpress is the only vendor I have used or will use, I have purchased from many including Christmas In July, Holiday Coro, Seasonal Entertainment, etc and when I have had a problem with products, they have all stepped up to the plate. I have had a few problems with products from Ray Wu, and he tries to be a stand up guy in most cases, but look at the Technicolor Pixels V1 and V2 fiasco, many in the hobby were left with poorly manufactured pixels that had failure rates that were astronomical, all because hobbyists put price before quality and service. I believe that you have expressed an unfair opinion of DIYLEDExpress without any facts to back up your assertion, hearsay you've read in other posts is fine to form an opinion but not to state something as fact as you have. I have plenty of opinions on vendors that have been formed by their posts as well as other hobbyists posts, but I certainly wouldn't express those on the forum as fact unless I had direct knowledge and experience.
    Just my 2 cents...

P.S. There are many states that you cannot order directly off AliExpress, including mine, Washington due to the fact that AliExpress will not procure a Escrow license. This means that people in those states have to deal with Ray Wu or any other vendor on AliExpress outside of AliExpress. This means more PayPal expenses as well as no protections that AliExpress offers (I've never had a problem with Ray Wu BTW but some others have had issues with other chinese vendors)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tjetzer View Post
    I wanted to test this to be sure, so I picked a few items at random and here is what I came up with:

Ray Wu
    20 WS2811 12v 50pcs pixel string - $14.00 Total $280.00
    20 3 Wire Connectors - Total $12.00
    Shipping - $101.47
    Grand Total - $431.47

DIY LED Express
    20 WS2811 12v 50pcs pixel string - $15.65 Total $313.00
    20 3 Wire Connectors - $1.06 Total $21.20
    Shipping to Tampa - ~$22.00
    Grand Total - $394.20

The price from Ray does not take the following into consideration:
    Possible duties imposed by US Customs (I've typically had to pay 3.5% of the commercial invoice plus a handling fee)
    Possible international transaction fee charged by your credit card or FI (1%-1.5%) OR Possible PayPal fees of 3%
    Also to take into consideration would be the location your ordering from. Us UK guys are probably much better off ordering from China than a US based seller. Shipping charges from the US would be higher to the UK than they would be from China. If your in the US you may get a better deal.

Also I'm sure Ray would smash that auto generated shipping quote in half at least which would put his quote a fraction under the Express quote.

I hear you on the import costs, again us UK folks could be strung up for it whether we order from China or the US.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast