Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 1st display coming 2016

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: 1st display coming 2016

Let me suggest reconsidering going all strips. Strips are time consuming and costly to use to outline a house. They are hard to splice and weather seal, don't have a great track record with reliability leading to more hard splice replacements and more sealing, and don't like going long distances without power injection. Products like Pixabulbs from DIYLEDexpress were designed with trim applications in mind. They are a 12V pixel with 2 LEDS in series in each bulb/pixel, this allows to be bright and go longer distances without power injection needed. They are already sealed, are easy to splice and seal and will reduce power injection wiring vs. strips.

I used pixabulbs on PVC frames (using strips from http://boscoyostudio.com/) around my windows. The frames free hand from eye bolts in my eves.

Up close: (click pic to enlarge)

DSC_0081Frmae.jpg

I used green garland to hide the PVC.

The result looks like:

I used GECE on the roof because I had them, but pixabulbs would look similar.

When I started this my wife also said nothing tacky was allowed (exact words!) but she would not define tacky for me. What about a pixel grid in front of the garage door? That's wasted space otherwise.

I did use strips on the inside of my windows in front of the blinds (no weather proofing necessary indoors!) the effect came out really well, and is surprising how much I can do with them to add to the display.
    [url]www.billporter.info[/url]
    2014 Christmas: 1 Channel; a new house and a crazy plan.
    2015 [url="https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLwnQkTJSld3WRF86Nfv099UZahf___A7i"]Halloween: 2500 Channels;[/url] 3 songs. [URL="https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLwnQkTJSld3VVfgwM0nxDebdwI__rQZ9Z"]Christmas: 4500 Channels[/URL]; 6 songs. Custom Wifi Pixel/Renard Controllers
    2016 [URL="https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLwnQkTJSld3UKHXDhmKhdheaJBOFgJ5IL"]Halloween: 6500 Channels;[/URL] 4 songs. [URL="https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLwnQkTJSld3Uk21zJ3QHeHEMe1XzJOTSr"]Christmas: 11,000 Channels;[/URL] 4 songs.

2. Likes JSOrange97 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Just my 2 cents. "It all depends" I am a long time Falcon user. I even use Falcon firmware on my Lynx smart string stuff. I would agree that the F16v2 is most likely the absolute best controller that you can buy today. BUT, I don't use it, because I don't see the need for it with my display. Could I use it, sure, but I don't need it. I am using F16v1s and then work great. So it all depends on what you need, what you want to do, and what you are willing to spend. I have backup for everything I use, even a spare FM transmitter. I do not want to have a single point of failure in my show. YMMV Start small and learn. And if you are not having fun find another hobby.
    Jim Nealand
    Kennesaw, Ga

4. Likes angus40 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MindTrik View Post
    As far as ESP...They also rely on a good WiFi signal..which may or may not be an issue. If this weren't HOUSE pixels and you were doing a tree or arches in the yard...my answer might be different. However the OP would be doing themselves a huge disservice by using anything other than the F16v2 in the application he's needing it for. In addition..the F16v2 has 4 independent ports that can be used for Native DMX or Renard....all separate from the 16 string ports. It's also capable Of doing much larger runs. When we're talking about the ESP and F16v2..we're not even talking about the same category in my mind.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk
    I think everyone has opinions on all controllers, but dude, chill on being a shill for the F16V2. David has done some awesome work on that controller, but to say that everything else is subpar is stating an opinion and not a fact as you present it. There are lots of other controllers that can handle the type of scenario that the OP has laid out. E682, AlphaPix, PixLite, J1Sys or RonP-64 (which if I had read things correctly can also control a P10 matrix) as well as others. I also use ESP solutions in my display, ESPixelSticks, ESPRenard and ESPixel GECE and have had great success thus far. Each type of controller has it's place and these are, as you stated, great for remote or isolated props, would I use them for my 18' Megatree, no, but I may use them on my Megatree topper. Less wiring to run for me is a huge plus. I'm not going to knock the F16V2, it's a great controller, but to state that it is the end all beat all and everything else pales in comparison is just plain incorrect.
    My 2 cents worth

OP: have a look at this chart and it lays out the FACTS about the majority of controllers that forum users currently run.
    http://nutcracker123.com/nutcracker/rgb_controllers/

Post Thanks / Like

Dude...I'm not a shill...the facts are facts..I'm not making features up. Compare the features and hardware...is what it is. Sure OP can run a show on any of those controllers...but if you compare pricing and some padding built in. F16v2 wins...sorry...not to say Sandevices or J1Sys won't come out tomorrow and make a huge jump..but for now that isn't the case. FACT...you'll be settling for less if you get in the E682, Alphapix16 price range and pass up the F16v2. I've already stated that in some instances other things makes sense.....but in this case the main brain...F16v2 is it...is what it is.

Also, the link you provide doesn't go into the details of the features of the v2. The fact here is, if you're saying that the F16v2 isn't leaps and bounds above the comparable controllers at this point and time, you simply haven't seen the F16v2 work, nor are you informed on the features. Again, I own all of the controllers except Pixlite and Alphapix. Use them in my show. The main brain in my garage though that runs my home outline, windows, wreaths, renards, lor boxes and DMX floods...is the F16v2. NONE of my other controllers in the same price range can do all of that without sacrificing other features on the board. I'll continue to use the E682, E6804's, ESP's and my trust ECG-P2....but they pale in comparison as far as features and UMPH to the F16v2.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by MindTrik; 12-30-2015 at 02:16 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Dude...I'm not a shill...the facts are facts..I'm not making features up. Compare the features and hardware...is what it is.
    Not a shill...

Listen. If you're doing your house outline and windows...there's only ONE SINGLE OPTION at this point and time.... FALCON F16V2...PERIOD...HANDS DOWN...ZERO DISCUSSION NEEDED! If you go with the Alphapix at this time, you're tossing away TONS of features that simply aren't in any other controllers at this time.
    It's like buying a VW Bug or a Ferrari
    This is NOT biased advice. It's FACT. Just look at the feature lists.

There is no controller other than the F16 that is 32 port. There's no controller that allows nulls ANYWHERE in a string. There's no controller that allows you to swap color order..ANYWHERE in a string....want me to go on?
    Everything in the F16v2 is useful.... You can settle for less if you want...that's your choice. The ESP is one run of 170 pixels...so the ESP isn't even in the same class were talking about here.
    Also, as others have stated, your facts are not always correct, the ESPixelStick can support up to 4 universes (680 Pixels) in unicast, not bad for a $10 controller...

Then buy the 4 port version...same features and your way ahead of competing products.
    However the OP would be doing themselves a huge disservice by using anything other than the F16v2 in the application he's needing it for.
    All Quotes from this thread... FACT

Post Thanks / Like

All facts..doesn't make me a shill...makes me someone who's got a wide range of experience and is stating what in fact is...fact. You simply can't compare feature for feature with any of the non F16v2 boards in it's price range. I'm simply trying to send OP down the best path so he won't look back after getting into and and say..SON OF A!...It's like arguing my 2000 plasma 60" is the same as my 2015 60" LED Smart TV. I can watch both the same....but one is simply better than the other. I'll give you the ESP statement....doesn't change the rest of the statements. Running multiple ESP's might not be a good idea depending on what you're doing and the environment you're in...and it certainly isn't the BEST idea for multiple runs like OP stated he was doing. Plus the ESP is an entirely different class of controller here with really specific usage. I have neighbors that are wanting to dabble in pixels and the ESP will be the option I suggest to them because of the cost involved and the fact they have no intentions of becoming a large show. They just want a house outline. Guess I'm an ESP shill too.
    Last edited by MindTrik; 12-30-2015 at 02:28 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

All facts..doesn't make me a shill...
    I believe the continued defense of the Falcon product was what merits the title. You've stated your case several times with the same information. You only need to state it once, and let the readers form their own opinion. I think the OP and any readers understand the F16v2 has the most features right now. That came across in the first 1-2 posts. End it there and allow other people to make cases for other options as well. That's what a public forum is all about. No need to pollute the thread to tear down every one else's options. Some of us don't care about the features on the F16v2, which is why we don't believe it's some objective holy grail controller that every new person should buy.
    [url]www.billporter.info[/url]
    2014 Christmas: 1 Channel; a new house and a crazy plan.
    2015 [url="https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLwnQkTJSld3WRF86Nfv099UZahf___A7i"]Halloween: 2500 Channels;[/url] 3 songs. [URL="https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLwnQkTJSld3VVfgwM0nxDebdwI__rQZ9Z"]Christmas: 4500 Channels[/URL]; 6 songs. Custom Wifi Pixel/Renard Controllers
    2016 [URL="https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLwnQkTJSld3UKHXDhmKhdheaJBOFgJ5IL"]Halloween: 6500 Channels;[/URL] 4 songs. [URL="https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLwnQkTJSld3Uk21zJ3QHeHEMe1XzJOTSr"]Christmas: 11,000 Channels;[/URL] 4 songs.

Post Thanks / Like

No need to call names either...

Post Thanks / Like

Listen. If you're doing your house outline and windows...there's only ONE SINGLE OPTION at this point and time.... FALCON F16V2...PERIOD...HANDS DOWN...ZERO DISCUSSION NEEDED! If you go with the Alphapix at this time, you're tossing away TONS of features that simply aren't in any other controllers at this time.
    Great to hear you like the f16 controller , and it would appear you like it quite a bit .

I don't think Mr. Pitts would hire you for sales though

Zero discussion is a deal breaker in selling/promoting any product , plus the caps > shouting does not help .

I have a boat load of San devices controllers and am very pleased with them after 4 years of usage . 0 regrets and will purchase more of them in the future !

Happy Holidays

Post Thanks / Like

jmassaro87, Sorry, Like Slugg, you are getting caught up within peoples passion for the hobby. The one good thing is this a very alive forum.
    Slugg is right, its had to get a straight answer and also got caught up in Engineers fighting there corner.
    God it would be fun it we could all meetup in the same room, it would be like a Jerry Springer or Jeremy Kyle show :-)

Everything in the F16v2 is useful.... You can settle for less if you want...that's your choice. The ESP is one run of 170 pixels...so the ESP isn't even in the same class were talking about here. The OP is talking about full runs in his house and windows.
    This is only true if you use them. I run 720 Pixels on one ESP in unicast mode. I believe you can do 1360 Pixels.
    It lets you select Colour order in the Web GUI.
    Null pixel are as easy to add in Vixen setup page as in the F16v2 GUI. The advantage of doing in it vixen, is, if you swap out a controller, you do not have to go a reconfigure NULL pixels in the new one.
    ~10USD for 1360 Pixels vs 200USD for 10,880 Pixels.
    200USD would get you 20 ESPs = 27200 Pixel. Although this is not the way to really look at it.
    The ESP provide a very flexible solution because of its size, you can stick it almost anywhere. (In a nice way !) I am sure you will have your own suggestions :-)
    As I have said many times on here, its not perfect, its Wifi, there are Glitches. But Like Beeiilll put, you can get seriously carried away. $14,000 Thats a good car! Ouch.
    I also believe the F16v2 support less Pixels (680) per output than the ESP(1360). Requiring 2 Data runs.
    I have nothing against the F16v2, never owned one, but I would be more that happy to use one, if someone wants to send me one, I will do a full review. But my wife would kill me if spent 200USD on one. Oh, I forgot I need the Spare, so that 400USD.
    You also talked about DMX, I believe the next version of ESP code will also support Renard and DMX, once madsci1016 / Sporadic have tested it.
    jmassaro87, I have Pixel Grid between the windows, it works well and I do not think they are tacky. Anyway, XMAS is all about Tacky..
    Keep an open mind to whats available. My objective was to put up a computer display for as little as possible. I done 2500 Pixels with all the extras for 750USD.
    First Attempt
    It not great or to US standards, but its the best around my area for miles and has people stopping to watch.
    Next year, I will put another 750USD aside if I have it spare and make it a bit better.
    Last edited by m1anh; 12-30-2015 at 02:48 PM.
    2500P 9 x ESP8266-07

13. Likes beeiilll liked this post
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast