Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: LED strips arches - some general questions

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: LED strips arches - some general questions

I have been avoiding pound in stakes where possible. And where I did use them, I used cut-away para cord.

Under normal circumstances, the ground here would be pretty firm by now and by January-February its like concrete frozen. Stakes are not gonna come out easy. So the spikes for the mega tree strands have para cord running between the strand and the spike so I can slit it with a box knife to take the tree down. The stake I did use for the flood can either be broken off (2x2 with a kerf cut to break it) or the flood unbolted from it. That allows me to leave the stake/spikes there until spring and deal with them when the ground warms up but allows me to take the lights down and stow them.

Obviously if you are in Florida or SoCal, frozen ground is not really a concern.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rstehle View Post
    I like your idea of driving a stake (or tube) in the ground to anchor the ends. Do you get much arch wobble in the wind?
    No, the stake (8" 1/2" square tubing) bolted to the tubing hold it in place. No wobble at all. I tried wire stakes and they just kept pulling up.
    2013 First Year (3) SS24
    2014 Second Year (4) SS24, (1) E1.31 Bridge, (1) E6804, (1) E682, RGB Tune To sign, Mega Tree & (4) Leaping Arches
    2015 (3) SS24, (1) E1.31 Bridge, (1) E6804, (2) E682, RGB Matrix, Mega Tree & (4) RGB Leaping Arches
    When in doubt, ask yourself ..."[COLOR=#ff0000]What would Clark do?"[/COLOR]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by algerdes View Post
    Lowe's also carries the Shark Bite in straight pieces. I purchase most of mine from True Value. They ship for free to the nearest store near you.
    Do you have a part number or URL? All I can find online for True Value in 10' straight pieces is 3/4" or less.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by deonb View Post
    You start getting dead pixels after a while though, so you anyway have to replace the strips probably every 3 to 5 seasons (which I did with mine this year). So it doesn't really help babying them too much.
    Is this everyone's experience? Are you using waterproof or non-waterproof strips? Any idea why you lose pixels - corrosion, electrical spikes, mechanical flex..?

Post Thanks / Like

3rd year for my PEX tree (17'- strip filled). Two pixels lost one color each. (red on one, blue on the other). Unfortunately they were in two different "legs" of the tree, so replacement may be in order. Considering the fact that they are straight, and stored as such, the only thing that I can attribute to their failure (on the physical side) is the winds this year vibrating the legs. Upon inspection, there was no moisture infiltration and the waterproof tubing was intact.
    Live, Laugh, Love.

6. Thanks Zeph thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Mine made it through this year with no failures and with some very windy and rain days. I folded in the legs and hung them on my fence.
    Arch 1.jpg Arch 3.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stallionent View Post
    Mine made it through this year with no failures and with some very windy and rain days. I folded in the legs and hung them on my fence.
    Does HDPE handle UV well? Outdoor storage would be very attractive in my case...

From your experience with HDPE 2", does it seem rigid enough to handle a 17' arch (curved length, ie: long enough to hold a 5 meter strip inside)?
    Last edited by Zeph; 01-13-2016 at 05:18 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Does HDPE handle UV well? Outdoor storage would be very attractive in my case...

From your experience with HDPE 2", does it seem rigid enough to handle a 17' arch (curved length, ie: long enough to hold a 5 meter strip inside)?
    I used 1" pex from Home Depot

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zeph View Post
    One trick you can use, no matter where you store it, is to use a much larger pipe to put all the PEX in for storage. In my case, an 8" PVC (2x10' with appropriate coupler in the middle) pipe is used. We put all of the 3/4" PEX legs into it. PEX has the habit of taking the shape of how it is stored. (If you lean it against something, it will bow and take that shape if left long enough.) The bigger pipe hangs from my garage ceiling. The legs of the tree stay cradled in a straight line. Works great.

I'm sure that outdoor storage in this manner would have no effect on the legs.
    Live, Laugh, Love.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234