Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Is it time for a new 'Ledtriks'?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    2,105
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Is it time for a new 'Ledtriks'?

    Gang

    I've been slowly bashing away at TimW's LTC source code and I've come to a point where I must decide to push forward with a new build of an LTC module to be included with V3 or shelve it and leave status quo.

    1. How many folks use the Ledtriks in their display in 2015?

    2. Would a LedTriks module embedded in V3 be useful and relevant?

    3. Would a Newer build of the actual Ledtriks design be worth the effort? < new controller board, with V3 support.
    Cheers!
    Steve

    Learn 1 new thing everyday.

    "AURBO" -- Aurora Borealis

    My weather today



    Chat link | Christmas Wiki link

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    820
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Is it time for a new 'Ledtriks'?

    I have to keep tossing the option out there. If you use a Pi running FPP in bridge mode, you now have an E1.31 attached LEDTriks that you can sequence as a matrix in Vixen3 or any other sequencer.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    2,105
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Is it time for a new 'Ledtriks'?

    So it would be a Ledtriks connected to a Trik-C connected to a Pi running in Bridge mode running off of Vixen 3 as a matrix?

    Or is it a Ledtriks connected to a Trik-C connected to a Pi running in Bridge mode using exported fpp files generated from Vixen 3 as a matrix?
    Cheers!
    Steve

    Learn 1 new thing everyday.

    "AURBO" -- Aurora Borealis

    My weather today



    Chat link | Christmas Wiki link

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    Posts
    10,283
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Is it time for a new 'Ledtriks'?

    Quote Originally Posted by Aurbo99 View Post
    So it would be a Ledtriks connected to a Trik-C connected to a Pi running in Bridge mode running off of Vixen 3 as a matrix?

    Or is it a Ledtriks connected to a Trik-C connected to a Pi running in Bridge mode using exported fpp files generated from Vixen 3 as a matrix?
    I tested a 4x layout with a USB-RS232 dongle attached to the Triks-C boards with FPP - seems to work OK but my LEDTriks is still in the bare setup state (after 4+ years.... sad...) so I've never really used it...
    [COLOR=#000080][B][I]Brian[/I][/B][/COLOR]

    [COLOR=#ff0000]Christmas in San Jose! - [URL="http://www.christmasinsj.com"]WEB[/URL] - [URL="https://www.facebook.com/ChristmasInSanJose"]FB[/URL] - [URL="https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL1W78s7liEQEE0ed7WSyLF7B6j3lBX43w"]VIDEOS[/URL]
    [/COLOR][COLOR=#800080]Halloween in San Jose! - [URL="https://www.facebook.com/pages/Halloween-in-San-Jose/356280784428581?ref=tn_tnmn"]FB[/URL]
    [SIZE=1]2015 Halloween Show - Planning now - hopefully some house projection...
    2015 Christmas Show - 5x E681-12, 1x 6804, Ren48LSD, 3x RenSS16, 1x Falcon16v2 (w/expander), 24x90 WS2811 pixel MT (James MT Strips), 12x DIYC Floods, SuperPixelStar, 3x Pixel Arches, PixaBulb House outline
    [/SIZE]
    [/COLOR][SIZE=3][COLOR=#008000][I]Ignorance is Temporary [/I][/COLOR][COLOR=#800080][I]- [/I][/COLOR][COLOR=#ff0000][I]Stupidity is Forever[/I][/COLOR][COLOR=#800080][I]...[/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][I][COLOR=#ff0000]
    [/COLOR][/I]

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    226
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Is it time for a new 'Ledtriks'?

    I've been trying for 3 years to build an LEDTriks, but the hardware is impossible to come by.
    2011:

    5,000 lights; 48 channels.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    820
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Is it time for a new 'Ledtriks'?

    LEDTriks with Triks-C board connected to Pi via USB serial dongle. Pi runs FPP set to bridge mode which means it receives E1.31 data and sends it out the serial port. FPP handles treating the LEDTriks/Triks-C combination as a matrix so in Vixen3 you just create a matrix to match the size of your LEDTriks display and send the channel data to FPP over E1.31. FPP uses the red channel data so you sequence as if if were a RGB matrix but only the red channels are used and the blue and green are ignored. Anything non-zero is on and zero is off. This allows you full access to text and animated effects in your sequencer provided they work and look ok in a single-color use case.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    2,105
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Is it time for a new 'Ledtriks'?

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainMurdoch View Post
    I have to keep tossing the option out there. If you use a Pi running FPP in bridge mode, you now have an E1.31 attached LEDTriks that you can sequence as a matrix in Vixen3 or any other sequencer.
    I'd be interested in a step by step walk through on how this is done.

    Anyone care to elaborate?
    Cheers!
    Steve

    Learn 1 new thing everyday.

    "AURBO" -- Aurora Borealis

    My weather today



    Chat link | Christmas Wiki link

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    324
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Is it time for a new 'Ledtriks'?

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainMurdoch View Post
    LEDTriks with Triks-C board connected to Pi via USB serial dongle. Pi runs FPP set to bridge mode which means it receives E1.31 data and sends it out the serial port. FPP handles treating the LEDTriks/Triks-C combination as a matrix so in Vixen3 you just create a matrix to match the size of your LEDTriks display and send the channel data to FPP over E1.31. FPP uses the red channel data so you sequence as if if were a RGB matrix but only the red channels are used and the blue and green are ignored. Anything non-zero is on and zero is off. This allows you full access to text and animated effects in your sequencer provided they work and look ok in a single-color use case.
    Is it possible in FPP to run the sign independently of shows isn't it? Or at that point is it just better to go with a standalone setup? I'd like to add it into my shows but also always want the FM station displayed nearly all the time, but also don't want to have to update 15 sequences if I need to change it.

    This year I used a rather nice looking static sign from Build A Sign as I was having trouble sourcing the parts for a P10/LEDTriks display as well. It looks great but I actually did run into more issues with the FM frequency I used and it would have been nice to have an option to change it.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    820
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Is it time for a new 'Ledtriks'?

    You can use a looping effect sequence on the sign instead of having the tune to info in each sequence. This is what I do with my two Tune To signs. An event script at the beginning of my playlist starts a looping Tune To effect sequence, then at the end of the playlist, another event script stops the looping effect sequence.

    To use the LEDTriks w/ Triks-C and FPP, you would connect the Triks-C to the Pi or BBB via a USB serial dongle. Then you would add a new Triks-C Channel Output in FPP and configure it to tell FPP about your panel layout. Configure the necessary number of E1.31 universes in FPP and set FPP to bridge mode. You need to have enough E1.31 channels for the number of LED's in the panels times 3 since FPP needs RGB data input but it only uses the red channel info. In your sequencer, setup the E1.31 output to match what FPP is expecting. Then create a matrix model that matches the dimensions of your panel layout. Anytime the red channel for a 'pixel' in the matrix is non-zero then the corresponding LED on the LEDTriks will light. This allows you to use monochrome effects from your sequencer on the panels.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    2,105
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Is it time for a new 'Ledtriks'?

    Thanks

    Seems as there might be a way to replicate this using Vixen, e1.31 bridge and a Triks-C without going through the FPP process, Time to start experimenting..
    Cheers!
    Steve

    Learn 1 new thing everyday.

    "AURBO" -- Aurora Borealis

    My weather today



    Chat link | Christmas Wiki link

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •