Thread: Projection Mapping with Raspberry PI

Post Thanks / Like

Default Projection Mapping with Raspberry PI

While researching projection mapping tools I happened upon this site which had PocketVJ as one of two Raspberry Pi based media servers. Anyone use it? Are there others out there that are interesting?
    Last edited by DynamoBen; 12-10-2015 at 01:53 PM.
    DMX, RDM, ArtNet, sACN, and RDMnet...the future of DIY Christmas.
    Designer of the PropController an open source single-board hardware platform designed for lighting and prop control.

2. Likes Technician liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Projection Mapping with Raspberry PI

I don't think the Pi has the horsepower to create the projections, but as a very capable video player, and the master slave function, several FPP can work in concert to play back multiple projections overlaid on a complex surface. I like the idea as a multi projector projection mapping video playback source.

I have not had the time and money to dabble in projection mapping, but seeing some of the results on the web is fantastic.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Projection Mapping with Raspberry PI

I've been concocting my Christmas display for several years and the key element is 3 screens in the yard. To do this with three projectors is cost prohibitive, so the idea is to use one projector and use mapping. I also need a way to trigger media playback so it remains in sync with the show. While FPP would handle media playback I still need the mapping.

So what I'm thinking is trigger media playback via DMX or sACN so that I can include it in the Vixen 3 file for show playback from FPP. Basically I need a media server that includes mapping, that doesn't cost a small fortune. Time will tell if this is a workable solution.
    Last edited by DynamoBen; 12-10-2015 at 02:23 PM.
    DMX, RDM, ArtNet, sACN, and RDMnet...the future of DIY Christmas.
    Designer of the PropController an open source single-board hardware platform designed for lighting and prop control.