Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lights don't function like preview

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Lights don't function like preview

Ok, so both Jeff and I looked at your profile and we're both very confused. What you have in there is nothing close to working in vixen. Are you exporting and running this on xlights or FPP?

You have only one controller defined. You named it a 682. This controller has 24342 outputs. A 682 can't support anything near that. Maybe the name is just a remnant of a past display?

In this controller you only have 5640 of the outputs mapped to sACN universes. The rest are never leaving the computer. many of these unmapped outputs are in fact patched to channels.

You have large blocks of unpatched channels on this controller. out of 24342 controller channels, only 13431 are patched. Why such a disparity? The rest are being constantly processed and are a big drain on resources. You have more wasted channels in your display than I have real ones in mine. Even if you're just exporting, more than half of every exported file is full of useless zeros, you can easily streamline things here substantially.

I'm guessing at the naming here, but your right driveway group is patched to a block of channels on the controller that aren't mapped to a universe. Vixen is going to spend a lot of time spinning it's wheels on these channels, but not send the result anywhere.

When I downloaded it, the controller was enabled. So I assume you are in fact trying to use this for output to the show. Otherwise I'd have expected to see it disabled.

So what else do we need to know about your setup that we can't see from here.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jchuchla View Post
    Ok, so both Jeff and I looked at your profile and we're both very confused. What you have in there is nothing close to working in vixen. Are you exporting and running this on xlights or FPP?
    I'm exporting to FPP. Please remember many of us are just learning and a lot of this is trial and error for most of us since there isn't exactly a manual we can read for all of this.

You have only one controller defined. You named it a 682. This controller has 24342 outputs. A 682 can't support anything near that. Maybe the name is just a remnant of a past display?
    Since I'm exporting to FPP, 1 controller is all I need right? its working

In this controller you only have 5640 of the outputs mapped to sACN universes. The rest are never leaving the computer. many of these unmapped outputs are in fact patched to channels.
    I only did this to test my patching when I started, does this really matter since I am exporting to FPP? This information isn't exported to fseq files right?

You have large blocks of unpatched channels on this controller. out of 24342 controller channels, only 13431 are patched. Why such a disparity? The rest are being constantly processed and are a big drain on resources. You have more wasted channels in your display than I have real ones in mine. Even if you're just exporting, more than half of every exported file is full of useless zeros, you can easily streamline things here substantially.
    This is my first time setting this up so I left some spaces in case I needed to use more outputs and I used round numbers. I'm sure I could stream line it some. The display runs fine except that string on the right side of the drive way.

I'm guessing at the naming here, but your right driveway group is patched to a block of channels on the controller that aren't mapped to a universe. Vixen is going to spend a lot of time spinning it's wheels on these channels, but not send the result anywhere.
    it is mapped in FPP, here is that mapping in FPP
    fppmapping.JPG

When I downloaded it, the controller was enabled. So I assume you are in fact trying to use this for output to the show. Otherwise I'd have expected to see it disabled.
    no clue on how to "disable" it.

So what else do we need to know about your setup that we can't see from here.
    All of this is good for me to review but doesn't address the issue at hand. The nutcracker "bar" or the new "bar" effect isn't functioning properly. If it were truly my configuration, nothing on that string would work properly right? Wipes, alternating etc all work fine.
    Last edited by JCook; 12-10-2015 at 01:59 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I was just going off of what I could see. You didn't mention FPP until just now. Most of this other stuff was observations based on the fact that the profile brought my machine to its knees when I loaded it. I had to disable the controller immediately because it was bogging everything down to the point that it was hard to use.

Disabling a controller is as simple as selecting it and hitting the stop button below it.

Yes you are correct that you can just use one controller when you only plan on exporting to FPP. But it sure makes troubleshooting difficult. if I try to view mapping from right to left (controller to element) it has to load a massive controller to do so which takes literally minutes to show on screen, and so tiny it's not even useful. You are right that you don't need universes mapped here. But why wouldn't you? If you set up the universes, it actually labels the output channels so you can see what you're patching to. This same information can be used when setting up the FPP to make sure your mapping is correct.

Also, if you set it up as multiple controllers, you can work in chunks, and actually do some testing from vixen by selectively enabling certain controllers and just testing parts of the display. Most controllers would max out less than 8,000 channels. Most computers running vixen can output at least that many. So there is useful purpose to fully setting vixen up.

The preview is showing the effect like we think it should appear. You must have something downstream configured incorrectly. The way vixen works, there's no way the output can be different from the preview. Whatever output the element is patched to is going to get the same data as the preview does.

Also, your FPP config screen shows the same universe numbers being repeated over and over. This violates the sACN spec. Each universe should have a unique number. sACN receivers aren't required to check the IP addressing. They are only required to check the universe number. You can't count on the network to forward the data packets exactly the way you expect all the time. It will usually work ok, but not always, and not predictably. You may find your problem somewhere related to this.
    Last edited by jchuchla; 12-10-2015 at 02:25 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I was just going off of what I could see. You didn't mention FPP until just now. Most of this other stuff was observations based on the fact that the profile brought my machine to its knees when I loaded it. I had to disable the controller immediately because it was bogging everything down to the point that it was hard to use.
    Disabling a controller is as simple as selecting it and hitting the stop button below it.
    ok, didn't know we were supposed to do that.

Yes you are correct that you can just use one controller when you only plan on exporting to FPP. But it sure makes troubleshooting difficult. if I try to view mapping from right to left (controller to element) it has to load a massive controller to do so which takes literally minutes to show on screen, and so tiny it's not even useful. You are right that you don't need universes mapped here. But why wouldn't you? If you set up the universes, it actually labels the output channels so you can see what you're patching to. This same information can be used when setting up the FPP to make sure your mapping is correct.
    So basically setup Vixen as if I were going to use it to run my show?

Also, if you set it up as multiple controllers, you can work in chunks, and actually do some testing from vixen by selectively enabling certain controllers and just testing parts of the display. Most controllers would max out less than 8,000 channels. Most computers running vixen can output at least that many. So there is useful purpose to fully setting vixen up.

The preview is showing the effect like we think it should appear. You must have something downstream configured incorrectly. The way vixen works, there's no way the output can be different from the preview. Whatever output the element is patched to is going to get the same data as the preview does.
    I've unpatched and repatched, other effects work. ok, so what could it be? the FPP settings for universes, universes in the E682? This controller is the last controller in my setup #6 and this particular string is on 1-1

Also, your FPP config screen shows the same universe numbers being repeated over and over. This violates the sACN spec. Each universe should have a unique number. sACN receivers aren't required to check the IP addressing. They are only required to check the universe number. You can't count on the network to forward the data packets exactly the way you expect all the time. It will usually work ok, but not always, and not predictably. You may find your problem somewhere related to this.
    ok, I can change this. this wasn't clear. others use the same setup and I'm sure I read that it was ok. none the less I change this to see if it helps but I keep going back to all other effects work fine.

Post Thanks / Like

I would get it configured up in a usable fashion in Vixen and then test it in Vixen. Let's narrow the location of the problem. I run FPP, but I set Vixen up exactly how I want it to be in FPP and then I can do all my testing from Vixen and primarily using the web interface so I can walk around in the display and turn stuff off and on. I can verify everything is mapped to the correct stuff and in the right place. I get all that working as expected, and then I can run a few test sequences. Lastly that gives me the exact picture when I export of how to configure FPP. I then configure up FPP to match. In the future we would like to support exporting the Vixen configuration and being able to pump that right into FPP to make setup easier.

Post Thanks / Like

Don't take offense to any of the pointers I've given. I know written word stuff like this is lacking in tone and can be taken as criticism. I'm simply trying to point out things that will help you in the end. And it helps us help you too.
    I wouldn't fixate too much on it being just this effect that's giving you headaches. Many other effects wouldn't reveal a problem like this. It could very well be there with other effects but the nature of the effect just reveals itself in this scenario.

--Jon Chuchla--

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I'm working on this now and should have it all remapped tomorrow to test. By the time I get home during the week the show is running. I will report back to you guys. I appreciate the help.

Post Thanks / Like

Don't take offense to any of the pointers I've given. I know written word stuff like this is lacking in tone and can be taken as criticism. I'm simply trying to point out things that will help you in the end. And it helps us help you too.
    I wouldn't fixate too much on it being just this effect that's giving you headaches. Many other effects wouldn't reveal a problem like this. It could very well be there with other effects but the nature of the effect just reveals itself in this scenario.

--Jon Chuchla--

Thanks Jon, i did take some of it a little hard. I do appreciate the help. I feel as though I learned a lot from reading and did a pretty good job getting my show up and running. I started my project last November and spent all year on it. The results are pretty good, the feedback from the community has been great. Some new people get on here and want someone to tell them exactly everything they need to do. I do recognize the support from people like you and Jeff make it possible for us to get our shows off the ground.

I'm re configuring as Jeff mentioned above. I see that I can reduce my channel count quite a bit but there will be some gaps because not all of the outputs have the same number of lights, that seems pretty hard to get all of them equal.

You know I've been a voice in appreciation for what you provide here and thank you again.

Jay

Post Thanks / Like

when setting up multiple controllers in Vixen I have a couple of questions.

1. Does the second controller start at 1? I thought that wasn't possible. it doesn't seem like you can edit the start value.
    2. If my first controller ends at universe 7-162, does controller #2 start at universe 8-1? Doesn't seem like Vixen will allow you to start a controller at 7-163?
    contsetep.JPG

Post Thanks / Like

Yes each controller starts at 1. This is an instruction to the module for which one of its inputs to use to route to that universe. It's relative to the module instance, not the aggregate display channel count like in FPP. (There is no such concept in vixen)

2) you can start at any unique universe number. 8 is fine but it could be 101, or 1001 just the same.
    But for channels, you're right. Two controllers cannot send two parts of the same universe. That's the same as running two different programs sending the same universe of data. Each module within vixen is its own unique sender. You'd get erratic response from your controllers. Universes always start at channel 1 within the universe and fill as many channels as you define. SACN does not allow for transmitting a partial universe with leading blank space. It does however support a truncated universe. You can end your universe 7 at 162 and send just that many channels.

--Jon Chuchla--

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast