Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Vixen + Teensy 3.1 (megatree) = Success (finally)

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Vixen + Teensy 3.1 (megatree) = Success (finally)

Quote Originally Posted by FrightRisk View Post
    Let me see if I have this right...

1. Your board (the MPC1) is basically a carrier board for a Teensy and Ethernet module with an OctoWS2811 integrated into it (so you have no need for a separate octo from Adafruit)?

2. How much is the MPC1 Board and do I have to source the components or does it come in a kit? Looks like just a few connectors and resistors to have to solder on and then snap in the Teensy and a Wiz820io or ENC28J60 Ethernet Module? And the MPR1?

3. By my calculations, each pixel on an 8212 needs 3 channels (rgb). So 50 leds by 16 strips is 800 pixels. Each 50 pixel strip is 150 channels. 16 strips are 2400 channels that will need 5 universes?

4. What components will I need? Just 1 Teensy, 1 Ethernet board, 1 MPC1 Controller and 1 MPR1 Receiver? (Plus a couple of beefy 5V supplies)

5. I come out of a laptop or Pi running the show via a network cable that plugs into what, the controller? Then the controller connects to the receiver at the pixel strips? I am still not sure of what connects to what in what order and if I need a router for anything if I am not going through my home network to run anything.

I may not need certain parts if I put it all in one box connected directly to the base of my mega tree. I won't be running from the house, it will be a self contained tree with a star or spinner topper that might have another 150 or so channels.
    Yes and more. The board not only has majority of the unused pins used for future options, but it also allows voltage regulators to be installed. The Level Shifter socket is used to allow easy replacement of the chip (like the other popular controllers)

Close guestimate cost: Passive components are about $15-$20, Teensy $18-$22, Wiznet5200/5500 $20. Boards $13 . I plan on selling it as Boards only, boards with Passive components, and boards with everything. I will also have a finished ready to sell version for those who don't want to build it.

I like to keep it simple. Each universe is 170 pixels The MegaPixel Controller (MPC) Code so far can handle 5440 pixels (thats up to 4 universes per SPI(8 of them) = 32 universes). When I setup the controller I use the full 5440 Pixels. Lets say I have a mega tree that is 50 x 16. If it was me I would halve the pixels and put them on two SPI ports. Each port is 680 pixels if configured at 32 universes. each SPI will have 280 pixels left to connect. I can use one or both of those to connect a Star or neighboring element. I don't have to use the left over channels they can go unused. In the software I map the elements to the channels on the controller. Its get interesting because we factor in zigzag order in the setup.

Yes Teensy, w5200 module, MP kit / components or MP boards and you source your own parts from BOM List. The board kit comes with the three boards (controller, and two receiver boards). If you use 5v then there will be no need for the voltage regulator parts. If you do use 12+v supply then there is an additional voltage regulator to be installed with a couple caps.

The Pi or Show pc usually connects to a switch or router. The MPC also connects to same switch or router. The show software setup has the controller as one of its channel destinations. The controller will be in charge of the specified channels allocated to it (in software) Once the controller receives a e1.31 packet it parses it out into pixel data. When it receives the full universe count it sends the pixels a specific timed formatted pulses over the 8 SPI ports.

Post Thanks / Like

Crees, I'm still not grasping what this extra transmitter and receivers are for.

I have a show computer running Vixen with a 20 or 25' usb running to a rubbermaid control box out in the yard. The usb connects to the Teensy and Octo. They are powered by 2 5V power supplies inside the control box.

Out of the Oct is a cat5 running 12ft to the megatree. There was about 50ft of cat5 piled up and the signal was fine, but my limiting factor was how far I could push 5V from the power supplies to my wiring harness. So I cut the cat5 to the same length as the power. If I had mounted my power supplies to the tree and my Teensy seperate the tree could have been around 50ft from the control box.

I was running all 800 pixels for the tree (50 x 16) on one twisted pair and the star on another (90 pixels), but I divided the tree into two pair.

So were would this transimitter /receiver come into the picture and what would it accomplish? Forgive me, but I'm new to all this.

Post Thanks / Like

You bring up a another method of connecting the teensy and thatís with the USB port. The teensy usb port speed is about 11Mbps . So itís very capable of handling many pixels just by using the USB port and software that can communicate with serial settings. USB can certainly be ran far distance but it gets unpredictable if the conditions are not right. Personally what I plan to use the usb port is to pair it up with a raspberry pi and use it as my remotes / slaves. The usb cable would be a less then a foot to the teensy.

The method i am talking about is using Ethernet and not usb. So the controller can be placed up to 300 ft away (Ethernet max distance) . With my added design to the octows2811 I can send the pixel spi feeds over another 30+ ft of cat5/6 cable to the first pixel. Since my receiver boards have power injection I can place them right close to the first pixel. This is the most optimal way to deliver power and pixel data to the first pixel that I have found.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crees View Post
    I plan on selling it as Boards only, boards with Passive components, and boards with everything. I will also have a finished ready to sell version for those who don't want to build it.
    I'm ready to go. Let me know when you have the kits ready and how to order. Are you open sourcing the code? If you have a link to github or wherever, I would love to learn more by looking at the sketch.
    Last edited by FrightRisk; 12-08-2017 at 01:45 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes code is open. I will get a git link up after I make some more updates. If you search prjc for crees you can see some of the code links posted (sloppy). but they are close to the cleaned up Version. I hope to have my revision 2 boards before Christmas

Post Thanks / Like

Ahhh. . . . now I get it!
    So this allows you to separate the show computer and the Teensy at a much greater distance. Now that's something I celebrate! Thanks!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234