Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Vixen + Teensy 3.1 (megatree) = Success (finally)

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Vixen + Teensy 3.1 (megatree) = Success (finally)

Quote Originally Posted by jcasterline View Post
    I've been observing the teensy/octo trend from a safe distance. My biggest concern is how many pixels? How good is the frames per second?

I've also been considering buying a premade controller, but where's the fun in that...
    Also, how do most of you get the data from A to B? Last year I used REALLY long USB cables. This year I'm migrating into rs485. Eventually I hope to move into Ethernet based protocols, but I have alot of studying to do.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
    This was my first year and I found the Teensy/Octo combo to be a solid system. I had 750 pixels split up on 5 of the 8 Octo outputs running 25ms timing (40 fps). I went with a Raspberry Pi 3 running FPP with USB/Serial to the Teensy 3.2 in the garage and used 25-35 foot long CAT 6 ethernet cable to carry the signals from the Octo out to the pixels. As recommended, I connected the ground lines at the pixels.
    2017: bit.ly/2zUzCC9

Post Thanks / Like

What is the IC on the octo board? A buffer chip to brings the levels up to 5v?

That is some amazing speed. I might be buying some of these for next year.

There was a similar project a while back that used the Arduino Mega and an Ethernet shield. Have any of you had any experience with any variation of that? I imagine the Mega still lacks the power to output simultaneous streams.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jcasterline View Post
    What is the IC on the octo board? A buffer chip to brings the levels up to 5v?

That is some amazing speed. I might be buying some of these for next year.

There was a similar project a while back that used the Arduino Mega and an Ethernet shield. Have any of you had any experience with any variation of that? I imagine the Mega still lacks the power to output simultaneous streams.

Yes itís a octo bus transceiver shifting 3.3 to 5v logic. There is also impedance matching resistors between the chip and rj45 jacks for cat5/6 media transmission.

The mega buys a lot of IO capability but unfortunately It lacks cpu and memory to do large amounts of animating pixels. Thatís where teensy shines and why itís one the best Arduino like mcuís for pixels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Hi CraigM, I just received my teensy 3.2 and my Octows2811 and am ready to do a 8 strand (180) tree. At the end of your post you mentioned you can help. Newbie but motivated. please help in anyway you can. As a beginner i started with 3 strand test using Arduino and Glediator but it had a 540 Pixel limit. In comes China with a T1000s controller that handled all 1440 pixels using LEDEDIT software which has limited programming sequences but does have a Capture feature that allows you to hover the "capture window" over a video that is playing or even just a picture, which is pretty cool but is limited also. This combo has caught my attention, which led me to you. Please help if you can. Hook up is straight forward but programming....I don't know where to start. Have A Nice Day. nunez.elite@gmail.com

Post Thanks / Like

I am interested in this thread too. I have lots of microcontrollers and have a Pi, a teensy and a esp8266 "thing" laying around and am wondering what I need to make the best use of them. I have been reading for about a week, but getting lost in my options. I know I want a 180 degree tree, probably with 16 strands of 50 or more pixels. Not sure whether I want strips or the individual bullets. So I need a player that can send the sequence which can be either a laptop or a Pi running Vixen or Xlights? Or player software that takes a sequence already written and just "plays" it? How can you run from the player to the teensy? And what does the Teensy connect to, the Octo and then Octo directly to the strands? And then inject power somewhere? Does anyone have a diagram/schematic? Where does the board mentioned earlier come in that has a video showing a long run with the pixels all laid out on the floor? Is that just a repeater? Sorry, but I am a little lost still.

Post Thanks / Like

The Teensy 3.2 will be your best option. Octows2811 allows the appropriate logic level shifting to occur (3.3v to 5v signaling). One benefit from this design is it uses the rj45 to distribute 8 spi feeds. I have tested about 30 feet from the controller to the first pixel.

This is where I created the Megapixel Controller. It takes the same principle and adds easier termination through a receiver board. Code was also very limited and some success was shared but many had mixed results with problems. After trial and error the code is now able to handle 32 universes (5440 pixels). The MP controller also adds a slot for the Ethernet module so you can use the common E1.31 protocol commonly used by vixen, xlights, jinx. I just recently sold all my beta kits but my next revision should be ready soon.

Post Thanks / Like

Here is a video showing the controller side with the Ethernet module, teensy, and octows2811 components. The teensy is being powered by usb (but usually is powered from the boards 5-12 volt input). The Ethernet connects to the router and the pixels are connected to the rj45 output.

https://youtu.be/xzP8rP9hZ_I

The next video shows the receiver portion and how it connects to the controller

https://youtu.be/lyKNWai4BdY

The software is vixen in this example. After creating a sequence you can play it from the computer or you can use FPP with the raspberry pi to okay the files. The output from the software is defined and uses e1.31 (typically) to send light commands to the controller. Hope this helps

Post Thanks / Like

Great! I think I will be getting one of your boards and try out this setup. Still a LOT to learn ;)

Post Thanks / Like

Let me see if I have this right...

1. Your board (the MPC1) is basically a carrier board for a Teensy and Ethernet module with an OctoWS2811 integrated into it (so you have no need for a separate octo from Adafruit)?

2. How much is the MPC1 Board and do I have to source the components or does it come in a kit? Looks like just a few connectors and resistors to have to solder on and then snap in the Teensy and a Wiz820io or ENC28J60 Ethernet Module? And the MPR1?

3. By my calculations, each pixel on an 8212 needs 3 channels (rgb). So 50 leds by 16 strips is 800 pixels. Each 50 pixel strip is 150 channels. 16 strips are 2400 channels that will need 5 universes?

4. What components will I need? Just 1 Teensy, 1 Ethernet board, 1 MPC1 Controller and 1 MPR1 Receiver? (Plus a couple of beefy 5V supplies)

5. I come out of a laptop or Pi running the show via a network cable that plugs into what, the controller? Then the controller connects to the receiver at the pixel strips? I am still not sure of what connects to what in what order and if I need a router for anything if I am not going through my home network to run anything.

I may not need certain parts if I put it all in one box connected directly to the base of my mega tree. I won't be running from the house, it will be a self contained tree with a star or spinner topper that might have another 150 or so channels.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CraigM View Post
    Please let me know if you are trying to use the Teensy 3.1 (with the OctoWS2811 adapter) do drive WS2812 lights with Vixen 3.1; I might be able to help.
    Craig
    In order to learn more, I would really like to compare your standard parts solution with just a teensy and an octo with Cree's neat custom board solution. Do you have a wiring diagram, schematic or a picture with things laid out of how you created your megatree? What sketch are you running on the Teensy? I have used the Teensy for a halloween haunt where I use it to control 2 small OLED displays and there are some similarities, though the libraries are different and the sketch for a megatree would be much smaller because it isn't doing all of the work of creating and running the animation.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast