Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Vixen + Teensy 3.1 (megatree) = Success (finally)

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Vixen + Teensy 3.1 (megatree) = Success (finally)

Last edited by ajensen2; 10-22-2017 at 07:20 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome! This year I am moving all addressable LED lighting to a Teensy 3.2/octows2811 setup and so far no issues with a little over 1600 lights.
    Biggest problem i building props and not having enough money for more lights!

Post Thanks / Like

Tecnageek you may be interested in this (teensy based pixel controller with power distribution board). Can run usb or by Ethernet

https://youtu.be/lyKNWai4BdY

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I've been observing the teensy/octo trend from a safe distance. My biggest concern is how many pixels? How good is the frames per second?

I've also been considering buying a premade controller, but where's the fun in that...
    Also, how do most of you get the data from A to B? Last year I used REALLY long USB cables. This year I'm migrating into rs485. Eventually I hope to move into Ethernet based protocols, but I have alot of studying to do.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Default Vixen + Teensy 3.1 (megatree) = Success (finally)

The kits I️ have are diy solder and assemble or can be sold assembled. The teensy powered controller can do 32 universes at 25fps. It can be connected by usb to the show player or it can be connected by Ethernet via E1.31 scan protocol. Still have much to improve on but its a great DIY solution with promising results

Post Thanks / Like

Which teensy is currently the best?
    I've seen 2.0, 3.1, 3.0 etc.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

3.2. You can use 3.1 but itís onboard 3.3v regulator cannot power the Ethernet module but will work fine USB . I donít think the 3.0-3.1 are available to purchase anymore. The 3.2 is the one available now.

There is a 3.5 and 3.6 but they are still fairly new and havenít ventured that direction yet.

Post Thanks / Like

Crees, This is my first venture into any electronics and I've got a lot to learn. Can you explain what the "megapixel receiver" in the video is doing in simple terms?

I've just built a megatree: 800 pixel tree on two channels and one channel for a 90 pixel star. I'm using Vixen, the Teensy 3.2 and the Octows2811 adapter. I can say that Teensy handled all 800 pixels on one channel just fine but I decided to divide the tree in two to make wiring easier. All of my power supplies, the Teensy and an Arduino I'm using to control my 120V props are all in one case and it's about 12' from the first pixel. The show computer is 20' away.

Will this let me move the Teensy farther away? I'd love to have it with the show computer.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ShaneGreen View Post
    Crees, This is my first venture into any electronics and I've got a lot to learn. Can you explain what the "megapixel receiver" in the video is doing in simple terms?

I've just built a megatree: 800 pixel tree on two channels and one channel for a 90 pixel star. I'm using Vixen, the Teensy 3.2 and the Octows2811 adapter. I can say that Teensy handled all 800 pixels on one channel just fine but I decided to divide the tree in two to make wiring easier. All of my power supplies, the Teensy and an Arduino I'm using to control my 120V props are all in one case and it's about 12' from the first pixel. The show computer is 20' away.

Will this let me move the Teensy farther away? I'd love to have it with the show computer.
    The boards are receivers taking the cat5/6 signal pairs and breaking them out to 4 fused power connections. There are two boards per teensy. I have tested 30 feet from the teensy based controller. The advantage of having the dual receivers is placing the the connections closest to the first pixel with the best pristine signal as possible. Where each signal is twisted with a ground wire and the receiver board utilizes ground planes it allows minimal crosstalk and interference.

So your teensy can be closer to your control source but since my board allows Ethernet too your placements and distances are very flexible.

Post Thanks / Like

That's pretty sweet! Way too late in the season for testing but will check it out after the new year.
    BTW I have had great success with a 75' USB extension on a USB3 port and Octo/Teensy in a utility box outside. with a 12' Ethernet cable to farthest first pixel.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast