Thread: Question regarding elements and addressing

Post Thanks / Like

Default Question regarding elements and addressing

On my way to work today as I am listening to the songs I will be sequencing, I came up with an idea that I wanted to vet here first.

Is it possible to group elements in order to achieve the ability to address them as individual elements, even though they are only but 3 actual pixels on a circuit?

I.e. I have 12 north poles around the yard that consist of 3 rectangle modules each all wired in series. Could I group them and treat each one as it's own element so that I could address them individually?

This could very well be the intent of the grouping function, but I have always treated my elements differently. i.e. each arch is its own channel on the controller, group all 5 arches to save time on sequencing identical effects.

In theory it sounds like I am a dummy for not thinking of this sooner, but I wanted to check here before going down the rabbit hole during crunch time.

TIA

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Question regarding elements and addressing

I had to read your post 3 times and I'm still not sure I fully understand your application. But that's probably because I'm in a different mindset. Let me give it a stab anyhow.
    Grouping is useful for many applications. As you noted, elements can be grouped. And groups can be grouped as well. The different effects act on the groups differently but most of the effects actually depend on a group to produce the desired effect. For example pulse and set level will act uniformly across a group. For these effects there's no difference in the function between a single element and a group. The only difference in this case is that a single effect will make multiple elements do the same thing. Most of the remaining effects really need a group. A chase for example looks just like a pulse on a single element. But on a group it's a series of pulses that are stair stepped across the group. The more complex effects that we call pixel effects typically are designed for a two level group. These are intended for a group of strings where each string is a group of pixels. This gives you 2d effects across a plane as opposed to single dimensional effects on a line.
    All of the basic effects have a depth setting as well. This comes into play when you place it on a group that's more than one group level deep. If you have a pixel megatree, you can apply a chase or spin to the strings. If you set the depth to 1 it will chase the whole strings. If you set it to 2 (or 0) it will chase the individual pixels as if the string grouping level didn't exist. I use this a lot on my pixel arches. Sometimes I want to chase the arches as a whole. Sometimes u want to do the bounding ball effect across the individual pixels in the whole line of arches.
    Another interesting application for grouping is to work with the same elements in different ways. A good example of this is pixel stars and snowflakes. Each arm might be a group. A chase or spin across these groups would spin the arms. You may also want effects to work radially. So you can take the same elements and place them into another grouping arrangement with groups for the concentric rings of the tree. The same chase effect on this grouping would make it chase from the inside out. Kinda like an explode effect.
    I hope this helps to give you the ideas you need to apply it to your display.

--Jon Chuchla--

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Question regarding elements and addressing

Jon,

You did indeed provide the info I was looking for. I apologize for not being as clear and concise with the verbiage to accurately describe what I am trying to do.

Thanks again for such an expedient and valueable reply