Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: RENESP Renard ESP8266 WiFi Adapter Group Buy for PCB and BOM

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: RENESP Renard ESP8266 WiFi Adapter Group Buy for PCB and BOM

Wow.
    I don't know how that would happen unless a vendor mixed some in.
    My apologies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob2791 View Post
    I am just building mine and i noticed that you provided what i believe is 10 Ohm resistors? Not 1K Ohm. I put my own 1Ks and it seems to be working. Not a big deal.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ukewarrior View Post
    Wow.
    I don't know how that would happen unless a vendor mixed some in.
    My apologies.
    Do we need to be concerned about this?
    2009 - 48 channel MegaTree 4800 lights
    plus 3200 lights static display.
    2010 - 6 Snowflakes on heavy equipment stored in front yard :-(
    2011 - 72 channel Megatree 7520 lights,
    120 channel total about 10k lights total

Post Thanks / Like

I have a RENESP question and I'm not sure what the right place to ask is. Here is what I have. I have a RENESP connected to a REN4FLOOD. The REN4FLOOD is set to Universe 1 Channels 13-16. The RENESP is using the DMX mode with Universe 1 and Channel 1. When I tried to set it to channel 13 it offset the lights to channel 26. So, My first flood is working. To get this to work, I removed the 485 chip and replaced it with the ribbon cable to the RENESP.

Here's my question, is there anything I need to do to get the OUTPUT 485 to transmit the signal through the output RJ45. Does removing the first 485 eliminate the ability to strip the channels and pass the remaining signal downstream to other Lights?
    Michael

New for 2016: Getting my ESPixel network to function, 4 HDPE Pixel Arches, Pixel matrix on tree trunks. PIXELS!!!
    FACEBOOK: https://www.facebook.com/GothambeatProductions?fref=ts

Gotham Beat Productions LLC

Post Thanks / Like

I don't see why that shouldn't work. The replacing of the RS495 chip is just the electricial mechanism that sends the signals. Now, I don't know for sure about the REN4FLOOD, but I think the signals once they hit the board are the same as any other Renard and should be sent out by the microcontroller as usual.
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelc View Post
    I have a RENESP question and I'm not sure what the right place to ask is. Here is what I have. I have a RENESP connected to a REN4FLOOD. The REN4FLOOD is set to Universe 1 Channels 13-16. The RENESP is using the DMX mode with Universe 1 and Channel 1. When I tried to set it to channel 13 it offset the lights to channel 26. So, My first flood is working. To get this to work, I removed the 485 chip and replaced it with the ribbon cable to the RENESP.

Here's my question, is there anything I need to do to get the OUTPUT 485 to transmit the signal through the output RJ45. Does removing the first 485 eliminate the ability to strip the channels and pass the remaining signal downstream to other Lights?

Post Thanks / Like

I can see why it would NOT work in THRU mode. Once you set it to THRU mode, there is no path from the input RS485 header to the Output RJ45 connector. In standard jumper REN mode, it SHOULD work but I'm not getting signal on the 2nd controller. What pins does the RENESP actually send data to on the 485 header?
    Michael

New for 2016: Getting my ESPixel network to function, 4 HDPE Pixel Arches, Pixel matrix on tree trunks. PIXELS!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I'd send this question to the REN4FLOOD creator. that might get you an answer.
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelc View Post
    I can see why it would NOT work in THRU mode. Once you set it to THRU mode, there is no path from the input RS485 header to the Output RJ45 connector. In standard jumper REN mode, it SHOULD work but I'm not getting signal on the 2nd controller. What pins does the RENESP actually send data to on the 485 header?

Post Thanks / Like

It all depends on the hardware design. The Renard devices use simplex communications, the device only receives data. The device output is not a response but a continuation of the received data down the chain of Renard devices.

Most RS-485 interface chips are designed for full duplex operation. This means they have one circuit for RS485-to-TTL conversion and another section for TTL-to-RS485 conversion. Many Renard designs use the second half of the RS485 chip to forward the data stream to the next renard device in the chain. When you removed the RS-485 interface chip so that you could inject the TTL signals from the ESP to the Renard device, you also removed the circuit that forwards the data stream to the next Renard device in the chain.

2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyX...ttrsZNARkUce0Q

8. Thanks michaelc thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MartinMueller2003 View Post
    It all depends on the hardware design. The Renard devices use simplex communications, the device only receives data. The device output is not a response but a continuation of the received data down the chain of Renard devices.

Most RS-485 interface chips are designed for full duplex operation. This means they have one circuit for RS485-to-TTL conversion and another section for TTL-to-RS485 conversion. Many Renard designs use the second half of the RS485 chip to forward the data stream to the next renard device in the chain. When you removed the RS-485 interface chip so that you could inject the TTL signals from the ESP to the Renard device, you also removed the circuit that forwards the data stream to the next Renard device in the chain.

THANK YOU. That makes sense. So the RENESP can only control 1 controller without some 'creative' solutioning. I'm surprised this hasn't come up before. Is everyone just using these for single controllers. I was trying to reduce my OTA wireless noise by maximizing controllers per RENESP. I guess I just need to get more RENESP boards.
    Michael

Post Thanks / Like

Not ALL Renards are designed this way. Some have independent interface chips. You need to find out how your device was designed to verify my previous statement. Also, I use a RenEsp to drive a Ren64C. At that density I do not need to daisy chain and if I needed another Ren location I would just set up another ESP to drive it. Using multicast would allow me to do this without increasing the number of packets on the network. A single packet can hold all of the data for a universe (512) which is a lot of Renard channels. You can have many ESPs receiving that packet with no increase in network traffic.

2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyX...ttrsZNARkUce0Q

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112