Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pixel Strip Durability

Post Thanks / Like

Default Pixel Strip Durability

Hello all,

I haven't been able to find a clear answer so I thought I'd ask.

This is my first year using pixels strips on my house. I'm using WS2812 5V strips in the silicone sleeves from Ray Wu. I used dumb RGBs last year but took them down right after Christmas since I knew I was upgrading.

I have the strips mounted to the house using the little silicone clips that Ray Wu sells. I have soldered on the waterproof plugs that Ray Wu sells. Put on the little silicone end caps on all ends. And used 100% silicone to seal off the ends.

Also, these lights are on the west facing side of the house. Facing directly outward. Not down or up.

My question is how durable can I expect these to really be? Is it reasonable to plan on leaving them up year round? Or should I plan on taking them down after winter? Does the silicone sleeve degrade in the sun/UV? Do the LEDs themselves degrade in the sun/UV? The flexible circuit board? The end caps or plugs? Or the silicone used to seal them? I really have no idea. It would be kind of a pain to take them down now that I've got the silicone clips all nailed into the house, but if I need to I will.

Hopefully someone has some experience and can give me an idea.

Thanks!
    James (MrRocketman)

James

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Pixel Strip Durability

Of course no one answered. I don't recall the results but over at Australia Christmas Lighting forum a couple of people have done some extensive testing. It would be worth your while to join and search for them.
    2009 - 48 channel MegaTree 4800 lights
    plus 3200 lights static display.
    2010 - 6 Snowflakes on heavy equipment stored in front yard :-(
    2011 - 72 channel Megatree 7520 lights,
    120 channel total about 10k lights total

Post Thanks / Like

I take them down every year. But we get extreme weather. Things that are made to withstand weather get tore up in Colorado Springs from sun and snow.

Post Thanks / Like

I will leave mine up all year, but only been up 5 month or so. Time will tell. Lots of sunshine and hot summers here. My house outline http://doityourselfchristmas.com/for...=house+outline
    Last edited by stallionent; 11-03-2015 at 08:40 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I left me 2811 strips around my windows up since last year. I dont see any fading or yellowing . Did have a small section fail though. I live in Denver Colorado

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the tip.
    This and this both seem to be pretty promising.

BTW, I am in Ogden, Utah. Fairly cold and snowy winters (down to around 0˚F/-18˚C) with fairly hot summers (up to around 100˚F/38˚C). Not tons of rain throughout the year.

From what I've heard so far I think I am willing to take a stab at leaving them up the whole year.

Thanks for the info everyone else. Any more info is also appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

Some of the lights I'm putting up, I plan to leave up year round.. only because I can't get to them. Hopefully they hold up to my -40℃ winter, and +28℃(ish) summer..
    *Calgary, Alberta*

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I take my lights down at the end of the season, but after 3 seasons, the clear epoxy on the front of the strips are noticeably yellowed and hardened. It doesn't seem to affect the LED's color though. After all this time, some sections on the strips are noticeably dimmer when on full intensity. I suspect this is caused by the resistors degrading rather than the actual LEDs failing. My house faces west, so if I'd left them out year round, they'll probably all be dead due to the strong sun and heat of the California summer.

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting, can I ask you which strips you have specifically? A link to where you bought them would be great, so I can keep track.

James (MrRocketman)

Post Thanks / Like

I got them from Diyledexpress. They are the 30LED/m ones. They worked great for the first two seasons though. But now they're showing their age.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast