Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pixel Strip Durability

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Pixel Strip Durability

Although the thread is quite old, I would like to ask for your experience with pixel durability.

Anyone know how many hours they can light before they get broken?

For my two megatrees I plan to run little light shows on weekend only. For the rest of the time/ days I want to show some nice programmed stuff on it. Couple of hours each day.

Can my pixel handle it?

Thanks for answers.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I am convinced that it is not operating time that causes the issues. It is temperature change. Last night I had an arch that tested fine in the basement and within two hours of testing outside it started to show problems. Brought it inside and after it warmed up it worked fine. In most cases, I have not had a pixel on a 1:1 strip die. It is usually the connection to the strip that goes bad. WS2812 (and higher) 1:1 devices have a lot of localized heat (LED is stacked on top of the driver chip and then soldered to the PCB). The back of the strip is typically cold (in my application) which results in broken solder joints as the chip and strip heat at different rates. I had many strips that did not last three days outside hanging from my eves (now replaced with bullet nodes plus boscoyo mounting strips). My strips inside a PVC pipe last weeks before having an issue (but still have issues). Next year is the last year for my strip based arches (I am almost out of spare strips). After that they will get converted to bullet nodes. All of my other strip applications have either been converted to 3:1 strips or bullet nodes. My 1:1 strip based matrix was going through 1-2 replacement strips a week. I am not putting it up this year and next year it will be made from bullet nodes and a boscoyo matrix sheet.

2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyX...ttrsZNARkUce0Q

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Humbug View Post
    Although the thread is quite old, I would like to ask for your experience with pixel durability.

Anyone know how many hours they can light before they get broken?

For my two megatrees I plan to run little light shows on weekend only. For the rest of the time/ days I want to show some nice programmed stuff on it. Couple of hours each day.

Can my pixel handle it?

Thanks for answers.

I have had wonderful performance using indoor-rated pixel strips (not enclosed in silicone!) by first attaching them to PVC tubing and then covering the entire tube -- strip and all -- with clear shrinktube. This effectively hermetically seals the entire strip to the PVC tube and makes it virtually impossible for moisture to get in. The down-side is that you must handle them carefully so that they don't rub against one another and actually break-off one of the LEDs. Mine have lasted through three harsh Minnesota winters with not a single pixel failure.

Otherwise, I'll echo Martin's comments. Bullet pixels are much more durable than strips alone.

http://digwdf.com/store/
    The DIGWDF Store is closed for all sales. Thanks to everyone who supported us through the years!
    User guides, documentation and other files are still free and available for downloading.

Post Thanks / Like

My pixel strips are inside tubing and have spent Xmas time out in Wisconsin winters. Snow, rain, cold, warm with zero failures. My pixel nodes are exposed and I always have a few fallout every year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

No issues with my strips in tubing (both 3:1 and 1:1).

Post Thanks / Like

We are firm believers that the killer of pixel strips is flexing. IF your strips are in a place where they are not allowed to move, they will last.

For example, our strips inside the Ice Cream Shop are mounted in holders inside our wall cabinets and cannot move. They work every day and night, and have done so for 5 years now. On the other hand, strips allowed to flap in the wind in the holiday display have gone bad several times a season.
    Live, Laugh, Love.

Post Thanks / Like

Reading your posts I should turn on my pixels and never turn them off

I believed the working hours would cause the problem, Indeed it is the weather conditions.
    For my region temperatures can vary between +10 and -10 C during Christmas season.

Well, I purchased a few more pixels for spare right now.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12