Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: External Power Supply Info

Post Thanks / Like

Default External Power Supply Info

I am trying to procure an external power source to drive the LEDTRIKS board, and am having a difficult time trying to put together all the pieces of information scattered throughout this forum and the LEDTRIKS manual.

I have finished building the LEDTRIKS PCB's, matrix, a wooden case to mount the matrix in (which is also covered with a piece of 3/16" plexiglass), the interface cable, and have just completed wiring up the anodes and cathodes to the PCB (which is mounted inside the wooden casing). I now need an external power supply so I can fire this bad boy up!!.

Ok, so far as I can tell, I need a "filtered" and "regulated" 5 Volt DC external power supply capable of providing at LEAST 3 amps at 5V DC....I DO NOT want to power it off my laptop power supply, so can anyone provide me with some more detailed information on where I could obtain something like this??

Thanks -

David

Post Thanks / Like

James Family Christmas - 1600 channels of SS Renard channels
    Facebook - James Family Christmas

Post Thanks / Like

Please consider becoming a Supporting Member of DIYC. Show your thanks to those who make this place possible.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne J
    Not fair Wayne, you don't take the time to properly format your links so you get the post in first. That's not playing nice. I think you should take a time out and practice your URL links a little

j

PS, I absolutely love your sig!
    Please consider becoming a Supporting Member of DIYC. Show your thanks to those who make this place possible.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeffmill
    Not fair Wayne, you don't take the time to properly format your links so you get the post in first. That's not playing nice. I think you should take a time out and practice your URL links a little

j

PS, I absolutely love your sig!
    ahhh, but the reason being, there was more than a link within the thread... there is valuable info too!
    James Family Christmas - 1600 channels of SS Renard channels
    Facebook - James Family Christmas

Post Thanks / Like

ahhh, but the reason being, there was more than a link within the thread... there is valuable info too!
    What? That I love the sig???

Post Thanks / Like

Wayne,

Thanks for the information, but I must confess that stripping out an old psu from an old computer and then hacking it together to produce a bohemian psu seems a bit archaic to me, not to mention that the finished product is too large to be self contained within any reasonable sized casing!

THE LEDTRIKS board I have built will be mounted (and used) on a wall in a K->6 school and I cannot have a monstrous psu laying around outside of the LEDTRIKS cabinet!!

So, is there any other option available to me for powering this thing up? I would really hate to scrap the project after the time I've put in to it, but again, the finished product must be self-contained (including the psu) and away from the hands of little children.

Please advise -

David

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeffmill
    Thanks for the information Jeff -

David

Post Thanks / Like

David,

Not all power atx power supplies are huge. what size are the approx. dimensions needed.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Post Thanks / Like

David,
    I purchased a 5v psu from ebay for around 15.00 shipped.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=170115611542
    Thanks,
    Brian, your friendly site Admin.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast