Page 29 of 85 FirstFirst ... 1927282930313979 ... LastLast

Thread: ESPixelStick - E1.31 WiFi Pixel Controller

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: ESPixelStick - E1.31 WiFi Pixel Controller

http://digwdf.com/store/product.php?id_product=178. Is the one I have

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Hey all, was slammed busy with Halloween stuff the past week. As for FastLED, I wouldn't recommend it as I believe it still uses bit-banging and can cause interrupt issues. I'd look at Makuna's NeoPixelBus - https://github.com/Makuna/NeoPixelBus. He implemented the ws2811 UART code that I use in ESPixelStick as a separate library, along with some other methods you can use on hardware modules that expose the interfaces. As for USB to serial converters, every issue I've witnessed so far been due to either counterfeit chips and driver issues (notably FTDI and Prolific), or flaky jumper cables. If you have a programmer not working at all, try swapping the TX/RX pins and make sure the driver isn't giving you issues. If it's glitchy and unreliable, trying swapping out the jumper cables.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I had picked it up to do my ESP12's with but have never plugged it in nor tried it.

I am getting Bill's PixelStick V1's. Any heads up I should be aware of on those?

Post Thanks / Like

Nope I have those they work great as well. Bill merged his code with sporadic so they can use the same code

Post Thanks / Like

I'll add my two cents and say I'd like a few of these myself. Is it a stocked item or does it need to be a group buy?

Sent from from my Tardis using MyBrain 7.56

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dirknerkle View Post
    Did you check Lowe's? They usually have it.
    Found it today at Lowe's. Here is a pic of tag if it's helpful to anyone. As noted, the "regular" 1" PVC caps fit right on this and the stick fits inside perfectly.

7. Thanks gymgeek thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Well I would have to say this project challenged my nerves and steady hand.

I managed to solder up the SMD components using needlenose pliers, 62/36/2 solder, and a cheap pencil soldering iron.

I am sure all you old hands at SMD are laughing your butts off at that soldering job. But, hey, its my first time at bat soldering SMD. No proper tools. Too much coffee (I had not planned to do this today, got distracted).

The chips were a piece of cake. The resistors and caps were, well, PITA. I had to de-magetize my piers because they kept sticking to them. But I got it done. I think it may be time to reward myself with a new soldering station. One that includes a hot air gun and some paste. I am sure these would have taken 10 minutes or less with proper tools.

The hardest part is the OCD in me insisting the components all face the same direction. This is the last board. I had given up at this point and one of the resistors is upside down(well, not upside down, just rotated backwards). Think I will let it go. For now.

Through hole stuff went substantially faster. Here they are all complete nice nice.

Fully expecting none of them to work the way things went with Halloween, surprise surprise, all worked. At least as far as getting the ESP01 programmed..here is #4 finished.

I did have some fun (tongue in cheek there) with getting them programmed. First, trying to decifer the instructions. I finally gave up and ran the JAR installer. I will fool with Arduino environment later. I installed the latest version and all it does is open and immediately close. Screw it. Shelby made a nice firmware installer. Good enough.

I also had issues at first. The USB adaptor wasn't recognized by Windows 10. Did some googling and found others had the same issue. Downloaded a driver and I was off to the races.

All done!

Looking at the schematic, I figured I could drop 5v in on the middle 12/5 jumper header and make it go. It did. And it went

Still haven't tested them with pixels. I need to order the jumpers from Mouser. I found one on an old motherboard and will try it with a dozen pixels just to test if they work.

9. Likes beeiilll liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sporadic View Post
    New UI is coming along. Beta release should be ready this coming week, just need to wrap up testing functionality. This is a complete rewrite of the web stuff and will require a modern browser with websockets support.

Sent from my XT1094 using Tapatalk
    Is this new UI available for download?

I'm starting to deploy these around the house and would love to try some of this onboard testing

Post Thanks / Like

Looks good Mike! Glad you were able to assemble them. My hands are so shaky from meds that I was afraid to open the packages of SMD parts since I figured that I would have them all over the place instead of on the boards!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pixelpuppy View Post
    Is this new UI available for download?

I'm starting to deploy these around the house and would love to try some of this onboard testing
    Honestly, I haven't had time to work on the firmware since I made that post. I ran the code in my Halloween show and it worked great, but the UI is still a little flaky. Hoping to find some time this weekend to polish it up.

13. Thanks pixelpuppy thanked for this post
Page 29 of 85 FirstFirst ... 1927282930313979 ... LastLast