Page 66 of 69 FirstFirst ... 16566465666768 ... LastLast

Thread: ESPixelStick - E1.31 WiFi Pixel Controller

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: ESPixelStick - E1.31 WiFi Pixel Controller

Quote Originally Posted by sporadic View Post
    You need to update Arduino to the latest (1.8.3) to start, then we can go from there. Once you get it compiled, make sure to read this for processing the web pages - https://github.com/forkineye/ESPixel...ee/master/html. Or if you just want to get up and running, you can download the latest release from the release tab and use the included flash tool which includes pre-compiled binaries.
    -shelby
    Well, that seems to have done the trick. I don't know *why* I felt like the IDE had to be 1.6.5, but I had it in my head that way.... and it was obviously very, very wrong. Thank you sir!

For my pixel controllers, I'll certainly be doing it the easy way.... but last year I made a SSR controller board, using a modified version of ?1.3? firmware (quickest way to get the E1.31 pieces working), but ran out of time on the dimming part. I figured if I was going to revisit it this year, it only made sense to look at the latest firmware to take advantage of improvements that have taken place

2. Thanks sporadic thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a simple question - New to pixel lights so I'm still learning. I definitely like the ease of running ESPixelstick3.0rc1 versus downloading a pile of different libraries and working thru the Arduino IDE. Using the tool there are fields for Host and Device ID. What should be entered here? Which field will I be entering as I set up the device in Vixen?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Device ID is usually a descriptive name for where your Pixelstick is used. Say "Front Door Wreath". Hostname as I understand it is a name that you can use for access in a web browser vs typing in an IP and accessing when it falls back into AP mode (connect directly to the stick as a WiFi AP). I may be totally wrong on the second description, but it was my take on what it was used for. I don't know vixen,but in xLights you are either using Multicast or Unicast and the latter would use the IP of the Pixelstick. Multicast would just use a universe, so you could have multiple Espixelsticks taking data from universe 1 and they would do the same thing in the display.
    Last edited by scootchu; 08-02-2017 at 09:22 AM.

5. Likes MrSmoofy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DaveMcK View Post
    I have a simple question - New to pixel lights so I'm still learning. I definitely like the ease of running ESPixelstick3.0rc1 versus downloading a pile of different libraries and working thru the Arduino IDE. Using the tool there are fields for Host and Device ID. What should be entered here? Which field will I be entering as I set up the device in Vixen?

As scootchu mentioned, Device ID is just a plain text field to help you identify the ESPixelStick when you're looking at the web front-end. The hostname will be sent along with your dhcp request so that you can identify your ESPixelStick by hostname in your router, or access it by hostname if your network is setup for local name resolution.

7. Likes MrSmoofy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks to both of you for the info!

9. Thanks sporadic thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

New firmware!
    Flash tool version of 3.0-rc2 along with EFU files for OTA updating are available on the GitHub Release Page. This release fixes an IGMP issue that crept in with 3.0-dev1, fixes an issue with alternate start codes in the E1.31 stream, and adds universe boundary configuration (similar to old PPU). You can now configure your stick for any number of channels per universe (defaults to 512) to ease patching in software like Jinx and whatnot (had lots of requests for this). You can get your ESPixelStick hardware here!
    Last edited by sporadic; 08-04-2017 at 03:59 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Download doesn't seem to like IE, just like RC1. It just waits for GitHub to do something...5 minutes later; still waiting
    I again test both Foxfire and Edge. They both work well.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mrGrumpy View Post
    Download doesn't seem to like IE, just like RC1. It just waits for GitHub to do something...5 minutes later; still waiting
    I again test both Foxfire and Edge. They both work well.
    That's odd, I just tried IE and experienced the same thing. Not sure what's going on with IE and GitHub.

New firmware!
    Didn't foresee a new RC to come so quickly, but found a pretty major IGMP bug within lwip that the Arduino ESP8266 project uses. The issue was causing IGMP memberships to not update as often as they should, resulting in dropped memberships and loss of multicast connectivity. The issue I submitted is here if anyone's interested. The binaries included in this release have been compiled against the fix. As always, can get the binaries here. Appreciate it if you all put this one through the wringer, should be about done with 3.0!
    thanks,
    -shelby
    Last edited by sporadic; 08-07-2017 at 09:51 AM. Reason: Fixed merged upstream

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sporadic View Post
    I'll replace it. Would like to do some analysis on it though to see what the issue is as it's a first. PM me your address and I'll get one out to you tomorrow.

Sent from my R1 HD using Tapatalk
    Did you get a chance to test the flickering one yet?
    Kevin

2016 - 184 channels of Blinking/Flashing using 4 Arduino MEGAs and cheap home-made props.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kev View Post
    Did you get a chance to test the flickering one yet?
    I haven't had a chance yet. Hoping to get the scope out this weekend and do some probing on it to see what was going on.
    thanks,
    -shelby

Page 66 of 69 FirstFirst ... 16566465666768 ... LastLast