Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Vixen 3 - Recall of window positions

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Vixen 3 - Recall of window positions

By the way: don't try to edit that file by hand. There's a warning right inside of it to that effect. And definately not while vixen is open.

--Jon Chuchla--

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I found the file. Is there anything I can modify to move the editor window to a place I can see? It's actually hard to not modify something that says "don't do it!". The developer inside me says, what could possibly go wrong. I won't modify it just because I'm having a party tomorrow and demoing some new stuff I am finishing up.
    Roger

Post Thanks / Like

Well I'll put it his way. That file gets overwritten by vixen without your control, so you have no way to make anything stick. And if you screw it up, just delete the whole file and vixen will make a new one with defaults. (Technically that should be true for any file in appdata)
    Note that even we don't really know how all of those settings interact. They're generated by the 3rd party library that provides the docker functionality. We didn't write it!

--Jon Chuchla--

Post Thanks / Like

TimedSequenceEditor.xml controls the dockers. The settings.xml controls the window position of the main editor window. Send them both if you're having issues.

--Jon Chuchla--

Post Thanks / Like

If your docker windows are lost, try going to the View menu and looking at the setting for each one. Is there a check mark by the missing one? If so it is just floating around somewhere, possibly offscreen if you are switching monitors around in some fashion. If you cannot find it, uncheck it and then check it again. That should put it back to its default place. If for some reason that does not work, then I would like to have all the files in the vixen folder in your users AppData\Roaming\Vixen folder. You can zip them up and attach them here or preferably a bug ticket at bugs.vixenlights.com.

If all else fails, removing the TimedSequenceEditorForm.xml file will restore the docker windows to their defaults also. Vixen will rebuild the file. But please make a copy of them for me before deleting.

Post Thanks / Like

Removing the xml file didn't resolve the issue. I uploaded the zipped app data files. One interesting thing I noticed was when I was moving another window around, the icons showing where I could dock it, there wasn't one for the right side. Maybe that helps when looking at the files.

Roger

Post Thanks / Like

Just to clairify, sent the file to vixenlights

Post Thanks / Like

I loaded your files in my config and the effect editor is there. The timeline was pinned to the left in a autohide setup and the editor window was on the right. I unpinned the timeline and repositioned it in the center dock and all was fine.

I am having trouble understanding how removing the TimedSequenceEditorForm.xml does not completely reset it. Without that file it has no choice but to put them in the default location. Has it ever worked since you installed 3.2? Are you shutting down vixen, deleting the file under the user you are currently logged in as and then restarting Vixen? If so can you take a screen shot of what it looks like when it first loads after the file is deleted? I might also need to see the log files in the Vixen 3 folder in your my documents folder.

Post Thanks / Like

I un-checked the box prior to shutting down vixen. When I start it back up, it's checked. My windows 7 will not shut down after running vixen. It just sits at the shutting down screen. It's a dedicated machine at this point. The power button takes it down and it powers up fine.

Post Thanks / Like

It sounds like your PC has bigger problems. Usually when a PC is having issues during startup and shutdown it's related to one of a few things, group policy (found in business domain environments, or computers that once were part of such) windows update problems, or other "cleanup" issues related to conflicting apps and drivers and such. I've also recently been seeing PCs become abnormally slow due to excessive memory paging. This usually happens one older PCs running operating systems that are designed with newer hardware in mind. Memory use can get high and the system relies way too much on the hard drive for memory paging.
    I have a suspicion that your computer is suffering from bigger underlying problems that's preventing things from working properly and the abnormal things you're seeing in vixen is an side effect of that. It may very well be that even though the vixen app is closed, the cleanup is still in process for 10 minutes or more after that and the files are not all written. And then when you hit that power switch, anything that was still pending is lost.
    Another thing I have to ask is if your PC meets the recommended requirements for vixen? The kind of behavior you're describing tends to be more common in older hardware.

--Jon Chuchla--

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast