Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Vixen 3 - Recall of window positions

Post Thanks / Like

Default Vixen 3 - Recall of window positions

Is there any way to have V3 remember the position that I like to keep each window on my screen? I am using dual monitors and it would be nice if when I open V3 each time the windows would open in their last position.

If this is not currently possible, can it be added to the wish list? I know it does not effect the operation of the program, but it sure would be nice.
    2012 - 1st year 64 Channels - 7500 LED lights - 5 sequences
    2013 - 128 Channels - 10,000 LED lights - 7 sequences (2 New)
    2014 - 201 Channels - upgrading 8 Arches to dumb RGB - 8+ sequences (1+ New)
    2015 - 240 Channels + 8 Universes - sequences TBD
    2016 - No Display
    2017 - Back in the Game - 240 Renard Channels + 12 Universes
    2018 - 256 Renard and 9 Falcon Outputs of Pixels - 16 sequences shown over 2 nights

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Vixen 3 - Recall of window positions

It already does. Are you not finding that to be the case?

--Jon Chuchla--

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

No, everytime I open Vixen, it opens on my right monitor with my preview on top of the Administration window, and when I open a sequence the Sequence Editor window opens on top of them all, again in the right monitor. I then move the Administration Window to stradle my two monitors, and have the Editor window full screen in my left monitor. I work like that, when I go to close out, I close the Editor window first, then the Administration window next, both without moving them. When I start up again, I am back to the beginning.

The size of the windows seems to be saved, but not the positioning.
    2016 - No Display
    2018 - 256 Renard and 9 Falcon Outputs of Pixels - 16 sequences shown over 2 nights

Post Thanks / Like

The main app window does not retain position. It will always open centered in the primary monitor. That's to ensure it's always opens in a valid and prominent location. That usually matters very little because you're only in that screen long enough to open something else. However the preview and sequence editor always save their position when they're closed so long as they're closed normally (not force closed or crashed).
    What kind of machine are you using? Is this a docked laptop where one monitor is sometimes there and sometimes not? That could invalidate the saved settings. Whenever the saved settings are invalid, it will open in default locations.
    Another thing that comes to mind is desktop manager software. Many multi-monitor graphics card comes with software utilities that serve as a desktop manager or something along those lines. These utilities attempt to workaround some of the inherent missing functionality in windows itself. But since there's no real API to support their behavior, they have to do various workaround methods to get the job done. And often it doesn't work, or caused unexpected side effects. If you're using such an app, you might try disabling it to see if it's interfering with what vixen is trying to do.

Post Thanks / Like

Jon,

I am working with a desktop with the two monitors permanently installed. There is no desktop manager software that I know of to interfer with saving of window locations. All my other software reopens where I left it, including Vixen+ that I was using previously. I have been closing by either using the drop down menus in the various windows, or by clicking the "X" in the upper right corner of each window, neither way makes a difference.

I understand about the Admin window, but it would be nice if it opened on top of the Preview window, as that is the first thing that is needs to be accessed.

Thanks,
    2016 - No Display

Post Thanks / Like

On every machine I've tested the admin window opens on top of the preview. And the windows are saving position on my test machines.
    Which windows version are you using? Are you by any chance in a domain with group policy or folder redirection in effect?
    Go to the folder:
    %appdata%/vixen/ and look for timedsequenceeditorform.xml. If it's there, copy it and attach it here for us to take a look at. That is the file that saves the window settings for the editor. I'm wondering if yours isn't getting created, or can't be saved.

--Jon Chuchla--

Post Thanks / Like

It is not perfect. For the most part it saves the locations. If the windows are maximized when it is closed they will revert to the main window. This is a bug in the logic that I am aware of. I'll see if I can fit a fix for that into the next release.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jchuchla View Post
    On every machine I've tested the admin window opens on top of the preview. And the windows are saving position on my test machines.
    Which windows version are you using? Are you by any chance in a domain with group policy or folder redirection in effect?
    Go to the folder:
    %appdata%/vixen/ and look for timedsequenceeditorform.xml. If it's there, copy it and attach it here for us to take a look at. That is the file that saves the window settings for the editor. I'm wondering if yours isn't getting created, or can't be saved.

--Jon Chuchla--

I actually created a ticket on this a while ago. For me, the admin window rarely opens on top. It's not consistent.

9. Thanks TomL8345 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeffu231 View Post
    It is not perfect. For the most part it saves the locations. If the windows are maximized when it is closed they will revert to the main window. This is a bug in the logic that I am aware of. I'll see if I can fit a fix for that into the next release.
    When I changed the size of my Sequencing Window to less than full screen it did remember the location, thanks for that tip.
    2016 - No Display

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jchuchla View Post
    Go to the folder:

--Jon Chuchla--

file attached
    Attached Files Attached Files
    2016 - No Display

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast