Page 32 of 34 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 LastLast

Thread: Buffer/line driver - null pixel without pixel

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Buffer/line driver - null pixel without pixel

have not seen one, but a pair of these would do the trick. Not as nice as having a single board, but still better than a NULL pixel.

2018 - Moving and going to visit my Daughter in New Zealand. Most likely I will be dark or nearly dark, Some static stuff that is simple to put up.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think there's much interest in 2 channel boards.
    APA102 & WS2801 are more tolerant when it comes to data signal, lowering clock speed could solve some problems.

Post Thanks / Like

Are these still available?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dougw View Post
    Are these still available?
    I have 20 each I ordered and did not use. Paid $38.70 with shipping. Would sell for that plus shipping. If your interested, act soon I travel on 6-12 and wont be back till 6-21.
    Last edited by aknflyer; 06-11-2018 at 02:04 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

PM sent

Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone still have any of these available?

Post Thanks / Like

Hi - I have an off the shelf idea I use and would like to toss out

I recall seeing this micro amp/signal conditioner: https://falconchristmas.com/forum/in...ic,2115.0.html

There was another version similar with an OSCOPE view showing a really clean output VS input. Claims of 20+ meters were not impossible (no null pixels).

I use one solution. As mentioned above by others, RS-485 differential drivers.

I never remembered where I saw these MICRO AMPS awhile ago so I went a different way to avoid NULL PIXELS and seriously extend controller range. My maximum distance I have used was around 325 meters (yup, put two ends on a full 1000' box of Cat5) and scoped the output which matched the input <2% noise.

Procured these: https://www.ebay.com/itm/5-PCS-UART-...:pf:0&LH_BIN=1

Ummm - sorry for the LONG eBay URL.

I use a pair of these - does not matter which direction you assign it. Choose either the INPUT or OUTPUT at the obvious direction.

I have successfully used these for WS2811/12 over ethernet, 3/4 channels per Cat5/6.

Drawbacks:
    1) only operates on 5v (I have seen what happens @ 12v)
    2) connectors as you see fit for your system
    3) the need to put it into a weather resistant box.
    4) Only 3 channels when using a separate power supply at the prop (must bond the NEGATIVES to achieve a clean signal using one pair in the ethernet cable)

The 5v can be overcome using a +5v regulator (7805 I believe) and a few parts. I would assemble and then pot the regulator to keep it sealed from weather. Conventional potting material (I use a ice cube tray for small things) could be used as well as a few coats of liquid tape.

I use a 2x4x1 plastic box I found at the local electronics supply and a pair of PG7 cable grips. The power is supplied from the controller (5v) and the prop is powered by another power supply or the same one over 12ga wire (several arrangements I use). Adding a +5v regulator at the receiver end expands the functionality to include 12v and 24v props.

Some weather proofing I use is a clear coat sprayed on the transceivers after I mount my wires - 2/3 coats usually shows and all the electronics are well coated and weather proofed. I could have dipped them but that proves to be a real headache to potentially change wires later on, not to mention that stuff really stinks when heated with a soldering iron!

I use some GECE and many WS2811/12 pixels - simpler with a single data line. This RS-485 board has the ability to handle the throughput and in line with the RS-485 specification.

Overall, I have had good results, no null pixels and so far, no data corruption (except for that 12v boo-boo)

Hope this helps expand the possibilities.

Get LIT! Light up your home, not yourself!
    Last edited by RGB_Mixer; 11-10-2018 at 10:24 AM.
    -Eddie

The missus wants to ride!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RGB_Mixer View Post
    Hi - I have an off the shelf idea I use and would like to toss out

I recall seeing this micro amp/signal conditioner: https://falconchristmas.com/forum/in...ic,2115.0.html

There was another version similar with an OSCOPE view showing a really clean output VS input. Claims of 20+ meters were not impossible (no null pixels).

I use one solution. As mentioned above by others, RS-485 differential drivers.

I never remembered where I saw these MICRO AMPS awhile ago so I went a different way to avoid NULL PIXELS and seriously extend controller range. My maximum distance I have used was around 325 meters (yup, put two ends on a full 1000' box of Cat5) and scoped the output which matched the input <2% noise.

Procured these: https://www.ebay.com/itm/5-PCS-UART-...:pf:0&LH_BIN=1

Ummm - sorry for the LONG eBay URL.

I use a pair of these - does not matter which direction you assign it. Choose either the INPUT or OUTPUT at the obvious direction.

I have successfully used these for WS2811/12 over ethernet, 3/4 channels per Cat5/6.

Drawbacks:
    1) only operates on 5v (I have seen what happens @ 12v)
    2) connectors as you see fit for your system
    3) the need to put it into a weather resistant box.
    4) Only 3 channels when using a separate power supply at the prop (must bond the NEGATIVES to achieve a clean signal using one pair in the ethernet cable)

The 5v can be overcome using a +5v regulator (7805 I believe) and a few parts. I would assemble and then pot the regulator to keep it sealed from weather. Conventional potting material (I use a ice cube tray for small things) could be used as well as a few coats of liquid tape.

I use a 2x4x1 plastic box I found at the local electronics supply and a pair of PG7 cable grips. The power is supplied from the controller (5v) and the prop is powered by another power supply or the same one over 12ga wire (several arrangements I use). Adding a +5v regulator at the receiver end expands the functionality to include 12v and 24v props.

Some weather proofing I use is a clear coat sprayed on the transceivers after I mount my wires - 2/3 coats usually shows and all the electronics are well coated and weather proofed. I could have dipped them but that proves to be a real headache to potentially change wires later on, not to mention that stuff really stinks when heated with a soldering iron!

I use some GECE and many WS2811/12 pixels - simpler with a single data line. This RS-485 board has the ability to handle the throughput and in line with the RS-485 specification.

Overall, I have had good results, no null pixels and so far, no data corruption (except for that 12v boo-boo)

Hope this helps expand the possibilities.

Get LIT! Light up your home, not yourself!

Earlier this year I built something similar, but only use a single pair from the Cat5/6 for each differential pair.

Quad differential transmitter with a single channel receiver

Single channel differential transmitter with single channel receiver

I'm curious why you need to join the grounds together when using a remote power supply. This shouldn't be necessary and wasn't an issue during my testing (nor is it required for the Falcon differential transmitter/receiver).

Post Thanks / Like

I NEED some of these!! Like Yesterday!! (The line-buffer type, not the differential tx/rx style) I ordered some Falcon F-Amps but they are on back-order, and I have been unable to find anything comparable, much less in stock this late in the season. I could order the components from Mouser or Digikey and build my own if only I had a schematic and parts list. Looking at RobG's board, it looks a few discreet SMD components, a transistor, and a 5 pin chip of some sort. Perhaps some kind of OP-Amp? Has anyone got a schematic or can at least tell me what the chip is?
    Wizlights.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DrWizard View Post
    I NEED some of these!! Like Yesterday!! (The line-buffer type, not the differential tx/rx style) I ordered some Falcon F-Amps but they are on back-order, and I have been unable to find anything comparable, much less in stock this late in the season. I could order the components from Mouser or Digikey and build my own if only I had a schematic and parts list. Looking at RobG's board, it looks a few discreet SMD components, a transistor, and a 5 pin chip of some sort. Perhaps some kind of OP-Amp? Has anyone got a schematic or can at least tell me what the chip is?
    I would love to have access to the schematic, as well. Group buys pop-up occasionally, but are easy to miss.

I have a couple different versions, and I think Iíve been able to reverse-engineer to components (each appear to have different primary component/driveróso Iím not sure which is better). Plan on developing this further in the off-season.

Page 32 of 34 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 LastLast