Page 3 of 32 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Buffer/line driver - null pixel without pixel

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Buffer/line driver - null pixel without pixel

Not to take away from RobG's device - but if you look at the uAmp mentioned earlier, the developer has some scope output from his device showing how it works - basically it just 'squares' up the ugly signal coming in - perhaps using some Schmitt trigger or something - not sure... quite interesting though - simple device anyway!

Brian

Christmas in San Jose! - WEB - FB - VIDEOS
    Halloween in San Jose! - FB
    2015 Halloween Show - Planning now - hopefully some house projection...
    2015 Christmas Show - 5x E681-12, 1x 6804, Ren48LSD, 3x RenSS16, 1x Falcon16v2 (w/expander), 24x90 WS2811 pixel MT (James MT Strips), 12x DIYC Floods, SuperPixelStar, 3x Pixel Arches, PixaBulb House outline

Ignorance is Temporary - Stupidity is Forever...

Post Thanks / Like

I ordered a few of the uAmp's just for this... Was assuming from the uAmp writeup it was a Schmitt trigger but he said it can be used for 5V or 12V so not sure...
    For $1.50 Rob's would be quite a bit cheaper than the $4.65 in the coop though.
    -Chris

2012: 3 Renard SS24's for 72 channels... 6236 lights... powered by HLS
    2014: 3 Renard SS24's, 1 SS16, 2 REN RGB+w, 1 E6804, 32 FAST tubes... 7,000+ lights & 200 pixels... powered by FPP & HLS

Post Thanks / Like

The uAMPs may not not come in until October. If we can get this this going we could have these by September.

Post Thanks / Like

what would be the best way to enclose these if they're out in the yard? I have a few long runs between my sections where these would come in handy. I'm in for 20

Post Thanks / Like

Good question. I was thinking to use Ray's pigtail sets and use a tube with caps or a plastic/alum box as enclosure. I would also use cable glands similar to those used on floods.

Something like this could work, but I am not sure we could squeeze the board through one side.
    Last edited by RobG; 08-05-2015 at 11:35 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

BTW, regarding uAmp demo video, that is some awful ringing. However, it could be cased by the test environment itself (oscilloscope setting, probe calibration, power lead inductance, probe's ground lead, reflection caused by inductance, etc.)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

A quick note on ringing. All wire has a capacitance per foot and inductance per foot. A wire that is basically open (high impedance) on the far end has a resonance and this is the basis of standing waves on a transmission line. Guys that work with RF is familiar with this. This for example is why car ignition has that same ringing after the spark goes out, the wire end is open and the circuit rings generating RFI in the AM radio. To reduce the RFI, (Radio Frequency Interference) resistive wire, ferite bead wire, and other suppression techniques are used to absorb the energy. This is exactly why solid core spark plug wire is not used.

Unfortunately adding suppression to a long wire kills the signal. However, terminating the wire into it's nominal impedance also kills the ringing. This is the basis for all Network wire, RS485 data including DMX512, and radio and TV coax transmission line.

The normal problem with terminating a transmission line for Pixels is the signal driving the line in most cases is LOW POWER so the termination simply kills the signal too low to be detected properly at the pixels. Pixels do not have low Z high current drivers on the output. Many Pixel controllers use just TTL or even the Propeller chip output pins without a driver to drive a low impedance data line properly.

One of the reasons I selected the DIYLED Express DMX bridge is because it does use a true differential RS485 driver IC on the outputs. I haven't had the time to experiment, but it is on the agenda as time allows, is to drive a wire pair in a CAT 5 cable with the differential data and terminate it after about 200 Feet, and feed the Data + directly into a pixel string. I have verified that WS2811 pixels are high input impedance. In theory this should keep the data clean to the far end of the wire with no ringing and a clean signal to pixels with a local power supply for the string.

Unfortunately real life is in the way as I am dealing with my wife's cancer. It's back. That is the priority as it should be. Currently working full time, and chief cook and bottle washer, laundry, yard work, taxi driver, etc is a full schedule. Not doing much with pixels at the moment.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Technician View Post
    A quick note on ringing. All wire has a capacitance per foot and inductance per foot. A wire that is basically open (high impedance) on the far end has a resonance and this is the basis of standing waves on a transmission line. Guys that work with RF is familiar with this. This for example is why car ignition has that same ringing after the spark goes out, the wire end is open and the circuit rings generating RFI in the AM radio. To reduce the RFI, (Radio Frequency Interference) resistive wire, ferite bead wire, and other suppression techniques are used to absorb the energy. This is exactly why solid core spark plug wire is not used.

Unfortunately adding suppression to a long wire kills the signal. However, terminating the wire into it's nominal impedance also kills the ringing. This is the basis for all Network wire, RS485 data including DMX512, and radio and TV coax transmission line.

The normal problem with terminating a transmission line for Pixels is the signal driving the line in most cases is LOW POWER so the termination simply kills the signal too low to be detected properly at the pixels. Pixels do not have low Z high current drivers on the output. Many Pixel controllers use just TTL or even the Propeller chip output pins without a driver to drive a low impedance data line properly.

One of the reasons I selected the DIYLED Express DMX bridge is because it does use a true differential RS485 driver IC on the outputs. I haven't had the time to experiment, but it is on the agenda as time allows, is to drive a wire pair in a CAT 5 cable with the differential data and terminate it after about 200 Feet, and feed the Data + directly into a pixel string. I have verified that WS2811 pixels are high input impedance. In theory this should keep the data clean to the far end of the wire with no ringing and a clean signal to pixels with a local power supply for the string.

Unfortunately real life is in the way as I am dealing with my wife's cancer. It's back. That is the priority as it should be. Currently working full time, and chief cook and bottle washer, laundry, yard work, taxi driver, etc is a full schedule. Not doing much with pixels at the moment.
    Sorry to hear about your wife, I wish her all the best! I hope things work out Ok.
    As a side note, I love to read your explanations, very informative.

Post Thanks / Like

a simple board using a max485 chip is the answer. 8 pin chip with an output enable pin. I've made 1 cable so far. Signal goes into tansmitter then over twisted pair cat5/6 to the receiver. power to run the chips also goes over the cat5 cable. What I haven't tried yet is to see if 3 signals can go over one cable. Roger

Post Thanks / Like

Will this be able to increase the distance to the next pixel at all? In other words if I have to put one at 25 feet because of signal loss...will I gain any distance to the second over 25'?

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

Page 3 of 32 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast