Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: 50W RGB LED driver board (WS2811 version)

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: 50W RGB LED driver board (WS2811 version)

28v. Mpja online
    18927 ps
    10.8w 29.95$. 126 in stock

Post Thanks / Like

The idea is to have 36V power rail, then take it down to 28V using DC/DC buck converter.

I ran PTs @36V for a while, and they seem to work OK. The suggested max Vin is 30V, absolute max is 45V.
    The most sensitive component is LDO, which has max Vin 35V and that's the part that blew up at 36V (taking down WS2811 with it.)
    I am adding LDO protection to 50W board, but LDO could also be replaced by a cheap (<$1) DC/DC.)
    “If somebody offers you an amazing opportunity but you are not sure you can do it, say yes – then learn how to do it later!” ― Richard Branson
    My [URL="https://www.tindie.com/stores/RobG/"]Tindie[/URL] store

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shockwave View Post
    The 36v supply would blow up all the pt4115 - they are 30v maximum.
    He is running the 36v to the floods, then he is dropping the voltage down at each device.

Short and badly typed since written from my phone...
    ~Jason
    [URL]http://www.tooz.us[/URL]

Post Thanks / Like

I ran my 50W driver @36V for the past 30 minutes and things work just fine. Components got little warm, but that's normal and expected. Plus, the LED itself is generating so much heat, everything gets warm.
    I think 28V-30V will be safe operating voltage for this driver.
    Also, @36V, 30W LEDs will work too, but I will not make 30W version since this is pushing.

36V test.jpg
    “If somebody offers you an amazing opportunity but you are not sure you can do it, say yes – then learn how to do it later!” ― Richard Branson

Post Thanks / Like

That is why it feeds a buck convertor, to drop the voltage to around 27VDC. This way Vdrop on the supply lines can be as much as 20% (36VDC -> 29VDC) and still have room for the buck to properly convert.

Quote Originally Posted by Shockwave View Post
    The 36v supply would blow up all the pt4115 - they are 30v maximum.

Post Thanks / Like

I wasn't aware that 30W Leds run at higher voltages than the 50W versions. I need to find out the spec for the versions I have..

Quote Originally Posted by RobG View Post
    I ran my 50W driver @36V for the past 30 minutes and things work just fine. Components got little warm, but that's normal and expected. Plus, the LED itself is generating so much heat, everything gets warm.
    I think 28V-30V will be safe operating voltage for this driver.
    Also, @36V, 30W LEDs will work too, but I will not make 30W version since this is pushing.

36V test.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, 50W has two rows of 8 chips, so to get max out of blue, you need about 26.5V @0.6 A.
    30W has a single row of 10 chips, so you need about 36V @0.3A to get full blue.
    Last edited by RobG; 07-21-2015 at 06:13 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Wink Re: 50W RGB LED driver board (WS2811 version)

I seem to have a different version of a 30W LED. Here's a picture showing two rows of 5 for each color... I think this is why we are passing each other for what the driver will need for voltage...

30W LED.jpg

Yes, 50W has two rows of 8 chips, so to get max out of blue, you need about 26.5V @0.6 A.
    30W has a single row of 10 chips, so you need about 36V @0.3A to get full blue.

Post Thanks / Like

That is a great 30W chip. It should work with 50W board @ 18-24V without any changes, unless the connections on the bottom are different. Can you check if 3 middle leads are used?
    Also, my board was designed to be used with square shaped LEDs, so you would have to solder PCB on top of LED if you use the one you have.

Do you remember where you got it from?

Post Thanks / Like

The LED is a standard common anode (unless you clip the rail off, then individual).

HolidayCoro had some of these awhile back, they had the LED and enclosure but no board. I think he had plans that did not work out, so he put the inventory on special.

I think your 50W board would work well with these with adjustments for current on the chips. Since the board has dual spots for 1/4W Resistors that would seem to be easy to do.

So, I am looking for 15 boards but would be happy to test with one... 8^}

That is a great 30W chip. It should work with 50W board @ 18-24V without any changes, unless the connections on the bottom are different. Can you check if 3 middle leads are used?
    Also, my board was designed to be used with square shaped LEDs, so you would have to solder PCB on top of LED if you use the one you have.

Do you remember where you got it from?

Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast