Page 24 of 26 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 LastLast

Thread: Can the CG-1500 Enclosure Be Improved?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Can the CG-1500 Enclosure Be Improved?

Quote Originally Posted by dmoore View Post
    We are in the final stretch of the new enclosure. The design is 100% done and we are now at a point where we need to determine:

* China or US production (mold and housing)
    * Material - either the exact same material used in the CG-1500 (PVC alloy) or a close match that is slightly harder (PC based alloy) which is about $2.75 less per enclosure (at cost)
    * Color - black, grey, green or other
    * Price point
    * Other vendors carrying the enclosure, lowering the per-unit cost

After running the numbers, we are currently at a retail price of around $29. This is driven by the complex mold required (about $42k), the cost of the resin which is costly in less than truck load sizes, an increase from 1.1kg to 1.33kg of material per unit and the development costs.

My questions to the community are:

* Is this cost worth it to you for the additional value (space, durability, functionality, etc)?
    * What color would you prefer and why?
    * What do you like or dislike about the current PVC material used in the CG-1500?

Thanks,
    David
    HolidayCoro.com
    That is a lot of mold cost to recover. So it would be $10 more than a cg1500. Hmmm. For me, I might just stick with the cg1500 but then this is one of those items I am not buying in mega multiples so I might decide to upscale the box. But if I had to buy 5 and it was use cg1500 and buy 2 or 3 more pixel strings, I would probably go for the cg1500.

I liked the lighter colors as it does snow here sometimes.

Post Thanks / Like

$29.00 seems reasonable to me. Color is not a big issue for me, whatever the community decides upon will work.
    2012 - 1st year 64 Channels - 7500 LED lights - 5 sequences
    2013 - 128 Channels - 10,000 LED lights - 7 sequences (2 New)
    2014 - 201 Channels - upgrading 8 Arches to dumb RGB - 8+ sequences (1+ New)
    2015 - 240 Channels + 8 Universes - sequences TBD
    2016 - No Display
    2017 - Back in the Game - 240 Renard Channels + 12 Universes

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rayhjr View Post
    Price Point is ok, but it would be nice to see it lower if possible; ie other vendors getting involved. Heck, I'd like to see the DIY community have our on enclosure.
    While I think some low capital work well when performed on a community basis - controllers, software, etc - projects like this with capital requirements of $45,000 and minimum purchases of resin in the 5,000+ pound range, I don't know that this type of project is a good fit. The reason we even embarked on this project was because of the flaws we constantly dealt with in the CG-1500 - everything from availability (there was a massive shortage last season pushing the price as high as $30 each), lack of space for new controllers, multiple power supplies, air flow, complexity of assembly, etc.

Thank you for the feedback!

Post Thanks / Like

I'd like to make a request of anyone with resin experience to suggest an alternative material that has the following minimum specifications:

* UL-746 F2
    * UL-94 5VA (.08")
    * Specific Gravity around 1.2
    * Tensile Strength 4,000 - 4,400 PSI
    Last edited by dmoore; 04-13-2017 at 02:30 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

While I think some low capital work well when performed on a community basis - controllers, software, etc - projects like this with capital requirements of $45,000 and minimum purchases of resin in the 5,000+ pound range, I don't know that this type of project is a good fit.
    I understand completely, point well made. Again, I'm just glad to have a ( better in my opinion ) alternative to a flimsy cable box full of holes.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    I Love This Stuff!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Can the CG-1500 Enclosure Be Improved?

I'd go with green to blend into the background more.

$29 is not horrible. Especially considering the addition of features. In the grand scheme of things what is the number of units the average person will use over time, 5-10? So for $100 over a few years are the feature worth it? Probably.

I'm not an expert on resin so cannot complain about the PVC with no knowledge of the alternatives. My only issue will be trying to clear out my 1500's second hand when I replace them

I did have a question on if the bud vent fit under a lid mounted plate?
    Last edited by ryanssking; 04-14-2017 at 09:59 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

While I think some low capital work well when performed on a community basis - controllers, software, etc - projects like this with capital requirements of $45,000 and minimum purchases of resin in the 5,000+ pound range, I don't know that this type of project is a good fit. The reason we even embarked on this project was because of the flaws we constantly dealt with in the CG-1500 - everything from availability (there was a massive shortage last season pushing the price as high as $30 each), lack of space for new controllers, multiple power supplies, air flow, complexity of assembly, etc.

Thank you for the feedback!
    I think the price is just fine. I don't might spending a few extra dollars to have an enclosure designed to work with the equipment I'm using. As for color, I thing Black or green would work best.

Post Thanks / Like

We are in the final stretch of the new enclosure. The design is 100% done and we are now at a point where we need to determine:

* Material - either the exact same material used in the CG-1500 (PVC alloy) or a close match that is slightly harder (PC based alloy) which is about $2.75 less per enclosure (at cost)
    * Price point

After running the numbers, we are currently at a retail price of around $29. This is driven by the complex mold required (about $42k), the cost of the resin which is costly in less than truck load sizes, an increase from 1.1kg to 1.33kg of material per unit and the development costs.

My questions to the community are:

* Is this cost worth it to you for the additional value (space, durability, functionality, etc)?
    * What do you like or dislike about the current PVC material used in the CG-1500?

Thanks,
    David
    HolidayCoro.com
    US would be nice but I'm sure that probably costs more

The current material we know how it holds up the cost different doesn't break the bank so I would stick with what we know

While color choice would be nice and I see a lot of people asking for green and black my concerns would be heaton a dark color. Just that alone I would say stick with the light gray or even go white for better sun reflection.

* Price point
    Price seems reasonable

Since many of the other vendors are small the cost and minimum order quantities may make it preventive from them carrying the items. What about the ability to drop ship since that would cut down on costs of shipping to the vendor who then has to ship to the customer.

I've not had any issues myself using the currently available products so I couldn't see myself replacing what I have but if I needed something new I'd consider this over what's currently available.

Like your previous point I think a lighter color would be better over a darker because of sun exposure and reflection of that heat.

I have no likes or dislikes on the current PVC material other than it is proven already that it works in the environments we are in.
    Chris
    Holiday Lighting, LLC
    Your Source for Genuine Mean Well Power Supplies
    https://holiday.lighting
    https://facebook.com/holidaylightingllc
    @holidaylightin9

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrSmoofy View Post
    US would be nice but I'm sure that probably costs more

The current material we know how it holds up the cost different doesn't break the bank so I would stick with what we know

While color choice would be nice and I see a lot of people asking for green and black my concerns would be heaton a dark color. Just that alone I would say stick with the light gray or even go white for better sun reflection.

* Price point
    Price seems reasonable

Since many of the other vendors are small the cost and minimum order quantities may make it preventive from them carrying the items. What about the ability to drop ship since that would cut down on costs of shipping to the vendor who then has to ship to the customer.

I've not had any issues myself using the currently available products so I couldn't see myself replacing what I have but if I needed something new I'd consider this over what's currently available.

Like your previous point I think a lighter color would be better over a darker because of sun exposure and reflection of that heat.

I have no likes or dislikes on the current PVC material other than it is proven already that it works in the environments we are in.
    US Production. While it might cost more to produce, you eliminate TIME, SHIPPING, TARIFFS, etc from China. And it provides jobs for folks right here. I am tired of sending our cash to China all the time. WOuld be nice to support people right here that pay taxes here and help this country prosper.

Harder materials usually means more brittle which means it breaks, chips, etc. 1500 material has been proven a reliable material thats easy to mill, cut and otherwise alter without chipping, cracking or breaking.

Color? Gray. If you want another color, go buy a $1 can of paint from Home Depot and color your boxes whatever you want. Black covers gray. So does white. And green. Or pumpkin orange if that floats your skirt.

Price point is a bit high. More than double what a 1500 is (~$14). Not sure that the new box could replace two 1500s. Haven't looked that deep at it to see. If it can, then well, maybe. $25 (24.99, whatever) is a better price point.

Not sure where you think its more durable than a 1500. Jury still out on that to be honest. There are many other enclosure options other than GC boxes. You have to compete with that. See price point as the biggie here.

10. Likes pixelpuppy, TazChaLet liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I constantly modify my 1500. Even the BUD boxes I'm always changing. The BUD boxes are heavy duty. I would say the material is at least twice the thickness. Add a couple of power supplies, a 682, fan and temperature sensor it does get quite heavier. Of course the BUD is really large, something like 11" wide, 15" high and 6" deep. Big enough to mount just about anything you can think of. Ground mounting was an issue but I came up with a cool way to mount them and just cost me under 4 bucks. Anyway, once a BUD is drilled out you're pretty much committed to using it as is. The nice thing I like about the Coro box is the bottom plate. Don't like what you did just trash it and install another one. I'm looking forward to getting one of these and checking it out.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

Page 24 of 26 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 LastLast