Page 23 of 26 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: Can the CG-1500 Enclosure Be Improved?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Can the CG-1500 Enclosure Be Improved?

We are in the final stretch of the new enclosure. The design is 100% done and we are now at a point where we need to determine:

* China or US production (mold and housing)
    * Material - either the exact same material used in the CG-1500 (PVC alloy) or a close match that is slightly harder (PC based alloy) which is about $2.75 less per enclosure (at cost)
    * Color - black, grey, green or other
    * Price point
    * Other vendors carrying the enclosure, lowering the per-unit cost

After running the numbers, we are currently at a retail price of around $29. This is driven by the complex mold required (about $42k), the cost of the resin which is costly in less than truck load sizes, an increase from 1.1kg to 1.33kg of material per unit and the development costs.

My questions to the community are:

* Is this cost worth it to you for the additional value (space, durability, functionality, etc)?
    * What color would you prefer and why?
    * What do you like or dislike about the current PVC material used in the CG-1500?

Thanks,
    David
    HolidayCoro.com

Post Thanks / Like

The cost sounds about right for this new enclosure. I understand the cost of molds are very expensive.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dmoore View Post
    We are in the final stretch of the new enclosure. The design is 100% done and we are now at a point where we need to determine:

* China or US production (mold and housing)
    * Material - either the exact same material used in the CG-1500 (PVC alloy) or a close match that is slightly harder (PC based alloy) which is about $2.75 less per enclosure (at cost)
    * Color - black, grey, green or other
    * Price point
    * Other vendors carrying the enclosure, lowering the per-unit cost

After running the numbers, we are currently at a retail price of around $29. This is driven by the complex mold required (about $42k), the cost of the resin which is costly in less than truck load sizes, an increase from 1.1kg to 1.33kg of material per unit and the development costs.

My questions to the community are:

* Is this cost worth it to you for the additional value (space, durability, functionality, etc)?
    * What color would you prefer and why?
    * What do you like or dislike about the current PVC material used in the CG-1500?

Thanks,
    David
    HolidayCoro.com
    Too high. The 1500's are by far cheaper.
    Proudly using 10 channels. I ran out of fingers to count with.

[URL="http://www.highcountrylights.com/"]High Country Lights[/URL] | [URL="http://www.highcountrylights.com/links/free-sequences/38-free-sequences.html"]Free Sequences[/URL] | [URL="http://www.facebook.com/HighCountryLights"]Facebook[/URL] | [URL="http://www.highcountrylights.com/video-gallery.html"]Video[/URL]

Post Thanks / Like

I vote for forest green. It blends into a display very well.

For the material is know how well the current Pvc material hold up to the elements for years on end. I have no clue if the PC based material will given the same results.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

IMHO

Price Point is okay.
    Black would be my preferred color, it would disappear in the dark or with lights on. But green would be better for hiding in bushes, and white or gray would probably work better for those in the North who have to deal with snow?
    I think the material of the CG-1500 is a good compromise between weight and durability.

Post Thanks / Like

I have absolutely no issue price wise. Heck, I paid $40- $60 for a BUD box so $29 just might save me a few bucks. As for color, I was thinking of pink with white polka dots or maybe even racing stripes. All kidding aside, out of all my boxes only one can be seen. The rest are covered so if I had to pick I would say black.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pmiller View Post
    I have absolutely no issue price wise. Heck, I paid $40- $60 for a BUD box so $29 just might save me a few bucks. As for color, I was thinking of pink with white polka dots or maybe even racing stripes. All kidding aside, out of all my boxes only one can be seen. The rest are covered so if I had to pick I would say black.

Well hold on now, lets not over look the pink with polka dots here. Is sort of festive.......

Post Thanks / Like

LOL

Post Thanks / Like

Price Point is ok, but it would be nice to see it lower if possible; ie other vendors getting involved. Heck, I'd like to see the DIY community have our on enclosure.
    I like Forest Green myself, it is a dark base in which to work from and is Christmas color, Red ribbon and done!
    I like the current material but think it is to thin. If new enclosure is thicker or same thickness and harder, I'm good either way.
    I'm just glad to see somebody take the initiative to make something new for us to use, Thanks Dave.
    I Love This Stuff!!

Post Thanks / Like

Green for sure! And let other vendors sell it to lower the costs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 23 of 26 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast